NOAH'S ARK -- FOUND? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

NOAH'S ARK -- FOUND?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NOAH'S ARK -- FOUND?

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:02 am

The problem, obviously, with this, is that even if they determine that it actually is a large wooden ship, they aren't going to be able to prove that it's a large wooden ship commissioned by god that once carried two of every animal on earth.

I'm extremely skeptical. Even if it's not an outright hoax, it's probably something other than a large wooden ship, let alone Noah's Ark. When you are looking for Noah's Ark, every wooden structure you find is going to look like Noah's Ark. My guess, when and if this is actually looked at and studied by objective archaeologists (assuming it's not a complete hoax), is that it's well below the 13,000 ft. mark and it's a wooden building of some kind, not a ship.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SeaWolf » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I'll believe it was the Ark when they analize the fossilized dung to see that it did have 2 of every animal. Until then it is wooden boat that sits at 13,000 feet due to plate tectonics.
Sporting events are family events. If you can't watch your language for 3 hours then stay home.
SeaWolf
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Sun May 02, 2010 8:02 pm

SeaWolf wrote:I'll believe it was the Ark when they analize the fossilized dung to see that it did have 2 of every animal. Until then it is wooden boat that sits at 13,000 feet due to plate tectonics.

Faith always trumps logic and reason, I've learned. People have to come to their own conclusions.

This "discovery" is a fake, btw...

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2010 ... a_fake.php
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Sun May 02, 2010 9:04 pm

Sadly, this is not surprising at all.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 am

These "discoveries" occur every few years, be it satellite images, Communist cover ups, wooden planks, an obscure photo, etc. What Art said, about finding something you're looking for, is, I believe, accurate. As a Christian I would love to see the actual Ark discovered, but I don't believe it ever will. Honestly, not sure if I'd want it to either, as crazy as that sounds. I think I would quickly tire of the new "believers" if this was discovered and made public.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:These "discoveries" occur every few years, be it satellite images, Communist cover ups, wooden planks, an obscure photo, etc. What Art said, about finding something you're looking for, is, I believe, accurate. As a Christian I would love to see the actual Ark discovered, but I don't believe it ever will. Honestly, not sure if I'd want it to either, as crazy as that sounds. I think I would quickly tire of the new "believers" if this was discovered and made public.

Growing up, I always used to hope the story of Noah's ark was true, but as I got older, I started hoping it wasn't. The thought that the God I worshiped could kill thousands of innocent women and children... of course, most people don't really think of women actually drowning while holding their babies like I did. Think of how scared they must have been...

Of course, I've always been too analytical. :-S
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:02 pm

A JB sighting! How you been, man?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:09 am

josebach wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:These "discoveries" occur every few years, be it satellite images, Communist cover ups, wooden planks, an obscure photo, etc. What Art said, about finding something you're looking for, is, I believe, accurate. As a Christian I would love to see the actual Ark discovered, but I don't believe it ever will. Honestly, not sure if I'd want it to either, as crazy as that sounds. I think I would quickly tire of the new "believers" if this was discovered and made public.

Growing up, I always used to hope the story of Noah's ark was true, but as I got older, I started hoping it wasn't. The thought that the God I worshiped could kill thousands of innocent women and children... of course, most people don't really think of women actually drowning while holding their babies like I did. Think of how scared they must have been...

Of course, I've always been too analytical. :-S

I wasn't raised in a church that sugar coated stuff like most churches. Most don't like to consider the darker side of scripture, just the nice, dancing through meadows stuff. So it's not a shock that you felt weird thinking about that when it likely wasn't something you were encouraged to consider.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:I wasn't raised in a church that sugar coated stuff like most churches. Most don't like to consider the darker side of scripture, just the nice, dancing through meadows stuff. So it's not a shock that you felt weird thinking about that when it likely wasn't something you were encouraged to consider.

I did a pretty exhaustive study of the bible a few years back, and we got into all the grim stuff. Who killed who, how, and why. The bible isn't a book full of happiness and fulfilled dreams. It's dark and dangerous and sometimes nasty. It would be far better if the whole thing were talked about/studied, and not just the "this fills my agenda" stuff.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:28 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I wasn't raised in a church that sugar coated stuff like most churches. Most don't like to consider the darker side of scripture, just the nice, dancing through meadows stuff. So it's not a shock that you felt weird thinking about that when it likely wasn't something you were encouraged to consider.

I did a pretty exhaustive study of the bible a few years back, and we got into all the grim stuff. Who killed who, how, and why. The bible isn't a book full of happiness and fulfilled dreams. It's dark and dangerous and sometimes nasty. It would be far better if the whole thing were talked about/studied, and not just the "this fills my agenda" stuff.

Exactly. Perfectly put, religion, or faith, is used far to often by people for what they simply want it to be. It's like they make it up themselves almost, so that it "fills their agenda". Might as well call this the Church of Knapplc, the Church of Omaha, or whatever name you want to come up with that fits the religion you've created. The faith I've chosen to follow has a lot of things in it that I wish it didn't. All these awesome temptations. But it's not all happiness and what my faith can do for me. While a faith can certainly give someone comfort in a time of distress or strength in a time of weakness, it's much more than that, but I've met far too many people who think that's basically what it's for and that's it.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk