Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm

RB C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
26%
WR Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
11%
RB Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions
63%
WR Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
No votes
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 19

Postby The Lung » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 pm

Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 4 or 5 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2010. Assume standard scoring (1 pt. per 10 yards rushing / receiving, and no PPR) Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you'd like to vote for a player NOT on this list, then please vote "other" and make a post to discuss the player. This will serve as a write-in vote for that player. ;-D

Previous polls
1.01 RB Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #2 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Postby biju » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:49 pm

Bazzy made a decent argument for Best in the last thread but I still have to go with Spiller here. While one could point out that the Bills already have Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson neither of them are long term solutions for the Bills. Marshawn has clearly worn out his welcome and I wouldn't be terribly surprised if he were traded once the pre-season injuries begin. Fred Jackson was deceptively productive last season with 238 carries for 1062 yards (4.5 ypc) and 46 receptions for 371 yards (8.1 ypc) and 4 TDs to boot. But a truckload of that production came on week 2 against a bad TB team (163 yds) and week 17 against a resting Colts team (212 yds).

They don't have much of a passing game, certainly not as good as the Lions (wow, did I just say that?), but Buffalo is the type of town you need to run the ball in.

I'm willing to admit that this is more of a talent issue for me than a situation call. Best might still be in a better situation, but I don't believe he's as talented as Spiller. Pure amateur scouting here though...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby da bears » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:09 pm

I voted for Best here. Like his situation in the future even though it's Detroit so something is bound to go wrong.

As for Spiller I honestly think NFL people have run wild thinking cause he's fast he's the next Chris Johnson. I'd consider him a big success if he puts up Reggie Bush type numbers. For at least next season he will also carry very little value unless some injuries or trades happen. Looking back on his previous season at Clemson that South Carolina game sticks out like a sore thumb to me. Gamecocks had a very solid defense and guy got stuffed now he moves to the NFL where every D is even quicker/bigger? Plus I don't think losing TO can help their passing game, at least defenses looked to stop him a bit last year.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby mattb47 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:05 pm

Honestly...I think that Best is every bit as talented as Spiller and can be just as good or better in the same situation so with Best being in the far superior situation, I gotta go with him here. Best was a very strong Heisman candidate last year before he had the concussion and all that, that guy single-handedly won games for Cal last season. I also think he has the higher chance of being used more as a RB than Spiller will be which maximizes his potential output...Spiller will probably be used all over the place including on special teams which will likely limit his production in a pure RB type setting...I'm going Best all the way here.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby haloswin2002 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:22 am

Now the picks get interesting.... I personally chose Dez, but only because I am leaning more and more towards stud wide receivers since there are so few workhorse backs out there. As good as I think Best and Spiller are, I dont think either will be '25 touch a game' guys. Combine that with the fact that every team is looking for an Andre Johnson type dominant receiver, I would personally take the WR. That being said, I would be extremely happy with any of the top 4.
haloswin2002
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Stelly » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:17 am

I went with Best here. I think his situation in Detroit is much better than Spiller's in Buffalo (that makes me sick...). Detroit has made some huge strides this offseason, and with Smith coming off the ACL injury, it seems like Best's job to lose. A pretty decent offense developing in Detroit, while Buffalo is treading water (and close to drowning).

I think the next two picks will be interesting...I'm curious to see how the Spiller/Bryant battle plays out.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:52 pm

This is a tough pick because both guys are basically the same player. Spiller is a little faster and seems to run well with pads. Javad is in a better situation and brings essentually the same to the table.

My vote goes to Best because of that.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:03 pm

I went best, and as biju said I explained it in more detail in the previous 'pick'.

Best just seems to have the better of the 2 situations. They both have great skill sets, tons of speed, but I just like the fit for Best a ton more. Lynch and Jackson are no locks to steal all the time, but they have carried the Bills the past few seasons, and Jackson had a pretty tight lock on the starting gig even when Lynch returned. I just don't see a rookie stepping in and taking too much time from those two. To me Spiller's situation is a lot like Shon Greene's last year where he didn't even see daylight on the field to begin the year, but with injuries and now coming into this year after trades Greene is the new #1. I can see quite a bit of the same happening in Buffalo, but if it doesn't Spiller really will have no fantasy relevance at least this year. Also as biju hit on, even tho both have average to above average hands out of the backfield, I really like Best more in the passing game because the Lions, cough cough, do have a better passing game then the Bills.

On the other hand Best pretty much has a clear path to fulltime stats starting in week 1. With Jones out at least week 1 and for the for seeable future with the Knee, that gives Best time to work himself into PT even once Jones returns. Morris will be a challenge, but there is really no way that Best can't surpass him with his skill set. As far as talent sets go, I really think Best has more overall talent then Spiller. I was out in Washington for the past 2 years, so got to see almost all of the Pac-10 games, and what I saw out of Best (again not an NFL Scout) seemed to be just amazing. He has awesome instincts wether its with the ball in his hands or running routes, and had it not been for the neck injury (him going all out to help his squad win, wheres his heart on his sleeve no matter what color the sleeve is) I really think Best would have went a lot higher in the draft. Because of that injury he also didn't get to show case at the end of his college career the way Spiller did. Also overall I think CJ had his best setup year for the NFL 2 years ago, not last year. Really you can't go wrong here, but I think Best far and away, given the situation and skill set, exceeds CJ for the clear cut #2 spot.

Dez Bryant MAY have a case as a top 5 fantasy pick, but not at #2. Dallas is a mess with the WR core and with Witten and now Bennett viaing for balls the TEs will steal a lot of production.

My top 5 as of now: #1-Matthews-Locked, #2Best-Locked in my eyes, #3-Spiller, #4- Demaryius Thomas-Yes rag all you want, and I do understand his route running, but look at CJ (yes I know he is no Calvin) he to came out of GT and I really see Thomas running more then 2 routes. Thomas is a superb athlete and a fricken monster just like Calvin and in that Denver offense he doesn't have nearly the competition for balls that Bryant will in Dallas. #5-Dex Bryant

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:36 pm

Sorry...but Thomas is not NEAR the receiver Calvin Johnson was/is in any way and comparing them at this stage is pretty ridiculous. Obviously he'll have to run more than 2 routes in the NFL but the fact that he only ran 2 in college is definitely a concern as route running is a HUGE part of creating separation to make catches at the next level when everyone is bigger and faster. He's also got mediocre hands and mediocre agility and cutting ability...he's got good straight line speed and he's big, but that's not enough. Dez Bryant is a more polished receiver in a better situation and I just cannot see putting Thomas ahead of him at this point...honestly, I wouldn't even put Thomas in my top 5 overall anyway...and Bryant would be pressing to make it with some of the other potential RB situations out there as possibilities.

I'm not really overly impressed with any of the WRs in this draft...Bryant is the best of the bunch but I'm not crazily optimistic about any of them.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:06 pm

mattb47 wrote:Sorry...but Thomas is not NEAR the receiver Calvin Johnson was/is in any way and comparing them at this stage is pretty ridiculous. Obviously he'll have to run more than 2 routes in the NFL but the fact that he only ran 2 in college is definitely a concern as route running is a HUGE part of creating separation to make catches at the next level when everyone is bigger and faster. He's also got mediocre hands and mediocre agility and cutting ability...he's got good straight line speed and he's big, but that's not enough. Dez Bryant is a more polished receiver in a better situation and I just cannot see putting Thomas ahead of him at this point...honestly, I wouldn't even put Thomas in my top 5 overall anyway...and Bryant would be pressing to make it with some of the other potential RB situations out there as possibilities.

I'm not really overly impressed with any of the WRs in this draft...Bryant is the best of the bunch but I'm not crazily optimistic about any of them.

First off read what I wrote, because I clearly see where I said "(yes I know he is no Calvin)". Was simply referencing the fact that both came out of GT and both are big bodied physical recievers. My point being that Calvin, yes was a freak of nature, but came from the same school as Thomas has. GT has produced some decent pro WR so I would think that they know what they are doing somewhat down there, names like Dez White, Jonathan Smith and Kelly Campbell come to mind. I am in no way, shape, or form saying that Demaryius is the next Calvin Johnson, because hes NOT. I was just making the relationship that outside of the fact that CJ was 6-5 and just a freak athlete many didn't think he was going to be as amazing as he is. I think Thomas clearly has the upper hand over Dez Bryant by far. Honestly look at the competition alone in their college days, outside of Oaklahoma and Texas and maybe even Nebraska, Bryant didn't see the stout defenses that Thomas had to face in the ACC with Va Tech, Clemson, Florida St, BC, Miami even UNC, Virgina and Duke. Ya your probably laughing now, but go look in conference play, only 2 teams aloud more then 260Pts in conference, and 5 teams allowed less then 200, that equals stout Ds. Both WR should be fantasy relevant at the pro level, but to me Thomas faced the better defenses, while Bryant ran more routes. So in your eyes which is better, run 50 different routes and a slight grasp on body control and defending the DB from the ball or keying on certain routes and having above average size, above average body control and having a huge frame and wing span to shield defenders?

I'm not gonna get in a pissing match with you, because I in no way think that Thomas is even CLOSE to sniffing the level that Calvin is on, and I never said that. But to think that Thomas is below Bryant I think is a bit of a reach. Dez could surprise, but I think the year off and the type of game they played in college will not form very will with the style of game play Dallas is going to be playing. Also the life of a Dallas Cowboy i think may go right to this kid's head.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to Football Talk