I'm in Utah - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I'm in Utah

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I'm in Utah

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sun May 02, 2010 10:30 pm

knapplc wrote:
joejlitz wrote:We're actually in Eagle Mountain if you know where that is. Had tri-tip cut steak last night marinated in a black peppercorn mix. I never heard of that cut but it was tender and delicious. I'm definetly gonna ask the butcher for it when I get back East.

Also spent over an hour in Cabela's sporting goods. Cool place. Lotsa stuffed deer, noose, elk, foxes, etc. Ordered an Elk burger at their cafeteriea but they were out so I settled for a buffalo burger with pepperjack cheese, fried jalapenos, and ciptole mayo. :-L

I feel bad for you people who live on the coasts. Yeah, you have your seafood and whatnot, but we totally kick your butt in beef.

The two years I spent in Cali made me hurt inside. I went to some steakhouse that was supposed to be a "big deal," Hunter's Lodge or something like that, and the steak they served was barely palatable. You guys just don't know good steak, I think.

Meh, it's not that difficult to find high class beef here, if you know where to find it. I know a place that sells fantastic imported Scottish beef, which is absolutely excellent.

California uber alles. B-)
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Mon May 03, 2010 10:54 am

I heard that plenty from Californians. "You just have to know where to go," so I went to where they suggested and it was still mediocre. Maybe I was just in a bad area (San Francisco/Bay Area) but the steaks we had there were uninspiring. Maybe you have better beef in SoCal. The only time I spent there was in San Diego, and we were busy eating fish so I didn't try the beef.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Mon May 03, 2010 12:13 pm

There's really no use arguing where the best beef in the states comes from, obviously it's between the coasts. That's OK, you can have your cow, I'll take our fresh seafood any day over a dirty old cow. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:28 pm

Metroid wrote: That's OK, you can have your cow, I'll take our fresh seafood any day over a dirty old cow. :-D

Hence the sea cow. I much prefer it over the sea hare.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby knapplc » Mon May 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Metroid wrote:There's really no use arguing where the best beef in the states comes from, obviously it's between the coasts. That's OK, you can have your cow, I'll take our fresh seafood any day over a dirty old cow. :-D

I don't know if you ever get jealous of our better quality beef, but as a seafood lover, I get very jealous of your seafood. And your fresh produce.

In Nebraska you won't find better root vegetables, beef or corn. Corn on the cob between July and September is amazing here. But our fruit sucks, our seafood is blah and way overpriced, and our overall selection is way less than yours. On the plus side, our weather sucks eight months out of the year. At least we've got that going for us. !+)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Mon May 03, 2010 5:43 pm

knapplc wrote:I heard that plenty from Californians. "You just have to know where to go," so I went to where they suggested and it was still mediocre. Maybe I was just in a bad area (San Francisco/Bay Area) but the steaks we had there were uninspiring. Maybe you have better beef in SoCal. The only time I spent there was in San Diego, and we were busy eating fish so I didn't try the beef.

I asked my GF about this recently, with her having grown up in Ohio and my only living in Seattle. She roughly had this to say (paraphrased):

"It's not that you can't find great steak out here, it's that the mediocre steak is very bad. In Ohio you can walk into any bar, order a $12 dollar steak (a decade ago that is) and get a quality piece of meat. But the premier steakhouses in Seattle serve just as good of steaks as out there.

On the other hand, the seafood in the midwest is terrible in comparison. Seattle has some of the best seafood in the country."

What the hell do I care though, I'm vegetarian. :-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Metroid » Mon May 03, 2010 8:12 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:There's really no use arguing where the best beef in the states comes from, obviously it's between the coasts. That's OK, you can have your cow, I'll take our fresh seafood any day over a dirty old cow. :-D

I don't know if you ever get jealous of our better quality beef, but as a seafood lover, I get very jealous of your seafood. And your fresh produce.

In Nebraska you won't find better root vegetables, beef or corn. Corn on the cob between July and September is amazing here. But our fruit sucks, our seafood is blah and way overpriced, and our overall selection is way less than yours. On the plus side, our weather sucks eight months out of the year. At least we've got that going for us. !+)

Since I don't eat a lot of red meat I'm not all that jealous. I'm not sure I could handle being that far from the coast, like you I'm a huge seafood lover.
We do have excellent produce out here on the west coast, but we're just far enough from Cali for our produce to be on the spendy side and kinda sucky at times, tomatoes mostly. Man I can remember getting giant avocados 3 for a buck in Stockton. And the orange tree in our backyard had the best oranges ever....that's about the only thing I miss about living in Stockton, the produce. :,-(

We do have kick ass berries in Oregon. :^
Metroid

Postby portisfan24 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:26 pm

I feel I've got it pretty good in British Columbia. My dad has been going out sport prawning and raking in over a thousand every time. Then in the summer he goes off the coast and catches more halibut and salmon than we can eat. To top it all off, its pretty easy to get Alberta Premium Beef out here too. Not that I'm bragging or anything ;-D
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:35 pm

portisfan24 wrote:My dad has been going out sport prawning and raking in over a thousand every time. Then in the summer he goes off the coast and catches more halibut and salmon than we can eat.

Is that recreational, or is your dad in the industry ?? I think the only thing better than having a freezer full of wild-caught salmon would be the actual catching of it. :-L
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Wed May 05, 2010 7:21 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:My dad has been going out sport prawning and raking in over a thousand every time. Then in the summer he goes off the coast and catches more halibut and salmon than we can eat.

Is that recreational, or is your dad in the industry ?? I think the only thing better than having a freezer full of wild-caught salmon would be the actual catching of it. :-L

I totally agree. ;-D

BTW, haven't heard from joe in a while. I wonder if he went and married himself an extra wife? :-b

No offense to any Utah polygamists out there, I've been watching Big Love lately. :-B
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk