I'm in Utah - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I'm in Utah

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: I'm in Utah

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 05, 2010 8:23 pm

Metroid wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:My dad has been going out sport prawning and raking in over a thousand every time. Then in the summer he goes off the coast and catches more halibut and salmon than we can eat.

Is that recreational, or is your dad in the industry ?? I think the only thing better than having a freezer full of wild-caught salmon would be the actual catching of it. :-L

I totally agree. ;-D

BTW, haven't heard from joe in a while. I wonder if he went and married himself an extra wife? :-b

No offense to any Utah polygamists out there, I've been watching Big Love lately. :-B

I'm still recuperating. !+)

That joke didn't go over well with my wife. !+)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Wed May 05, 2010 9:22 pm

joejlitz wrote:That joke didn't go over well with my wife. !+)

I'm sure it didn't :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Going back about seafood, Barcelona has the freshest seafood on the planet. If it doesn't, then the region of Galicia does. Don't need any seasoning, nothing, there's really nothing like it anywhere especially when it comes to shellfish. The seafood we have in California is pretty good though, as it should be, but just isn't as heavenly as back in the old country.

As far as beef goes, I don't eat much red meat either. Personally, I prefer pork, especially when it comes to ham, pork belly, and trotters. We do have some great steakhouses here in L.A., namely a place called Cut and Totoraku, but they're on the high-end of the price spectrum. The beef they have there is divine, but again, I don't eat red meat too often and it's sort of a luxury to me in that regard.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Thu May 06, 2010 1:06 am

scottaa1 wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:My dad has been going out sport prawning and raking in over a thousand every time. Then in the summer he goes off the coast and catches more halibut and salmon than we can eat.

Is that recreational, or is your dad in the industry ?? I think the only thing better than having a freezer full of wild-caught salmon would be the actual catching of it. :-L

Recreational. He's a lawyer so he pretty much books the last two weeks of July and all of August off. Funnily enough he never has trouble finding people to go with him. There are a few spots about 25 miles off the shore of Vancouver Island where the fishing is crazy. You can barely get the rods in the water without a hit.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu May 06, 2010 7:45 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:Going back about seafood, Barcelona has the freshest seafood on the planet. If it doesn't, then the region of Galicia does. Don't need any seasoning, nothing, there's really nothing like it anywhere especially when it comes to shellfish. The seafood we have in California is pretty good though, as it should be, but just isn't as heavenly as back in the old country.

As far as beef goes, I don't eat much red meat either. Personally, I prefer pork, especially when it comes to ham, pork belly, and trotters.

Parts of Spain are also very well known for their ham. Do you ever eat Jamon Iberico or anything like it?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu May 06, 2010 12:39 pm

knapplc wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Going back about seafood, Barcelona has the freshest seafood on the planet. If it doesn't, then the region of Galicia does. Don't need any seasoning, nothing, there's really nothing like it anywhere especially when it comes to shellfish. The seafood we have in California is pretty good though, as it should be, but just isn't as heavenly as back in the old country.

As far as beef goes, I don't eat much red meat either. Personally, I prefer pork, especially when it comes to ham, pork belly, and trotters.

Parts of Spain are also very well known for their ham. Do you ever eat Jamon Iberico or anything like it?

Oh yeah, I have a couple of slices for breakfast about 3-4 times a week, at least. :*)

The best Jamon Iberico comes from the Andalucia region (western Spain), where the black Iberian pig/wild boar is commonly found and raised. You can consider the pigs to be organically raised, but the very best ham comes from the free-roaming mountain pigs which eat only greens and acorns in their adult lives (often called Jamon Iberico de Bellota, bellota meaning acorn). Of course, they're pricey, with the Jamon iberico de Bellota ham hocks costing about anywhere from $90-120 per pound. Last Christmas, while we had family coming over at my house, we spent $1,600 on one for about a 15-17 lb. ham. Really worth it, though, seeing how it's best enjoyed for extremely thin slices and one ham hock will last you quite a long while, if it's just you and a couple of other people. The pasture-raised ham is considerably less expensive, but nonetheless really pricey.

You can buy slices of Jamon Iberico for about $40-50 and Jamon Serrano is considerably cheaper, but you don't get the kind of well-rounded, nutty taste as you would with Jamon Iberico. Over the last several years, we've visited a really good local Spanish charcuterie that sells all kinds of Spanish ham and sausages and dare I say, it's as good as you'll find in Spain and in Catalonia.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk