Keeper Drafts - where do Rookies get drafted? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Keeper Drafts - where do Rookies get drafted?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Keeper Drafts - where do Rookies get drafted?

Postby Stelly » Mon May 03, 2010 10:06 am

In keeper league drafts, at what point do you typically see the rookies starting to get drafted?

I'm in a ten-team keeper. We can keep up to 3 players. If I drafted a guy in 2009 in round 6, I can keep him in 2010 at the cost of my 5th round pick. 1st round draft choices cannot be kept.

In last years draft I was a bit suprised at how early some of the rookies were drafted - McCoy in the 7th, Brown and Greene in the 8th.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Keeper Drafts - where do Rookies get drafted?

Postby mattb47 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:29 am

If there are elite rookies, which I don't know that you can say that for this draft, you'll start to see them being taken in the 1st round of a keeper draft. In this one, I bet you'll start to see them go off the board in round 2...although I could see someone reaching for someone early as people tend to overvalue rookies.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Keeper Drafts - where do Rookies get drafted?

Postby Wenchtamer » Wed May 05, 2010 9:56 pm

In this format...

1st round- seems pointless as you wouldn't be able to keep them

2nd round- might consider taking a Peterson type here, but you have to project them as worth a 1st the next year

3rd round+- this is where things would start to open up for me. The biggest thing is to think about where you see them them the following year.

Since it's only 3 keepers, there isn't as much emphasis on stashing rookies like there is in a dynasty. You're going to want to keep stud veterans and may only want to keep one rookie. Obviously the later you take them, the better. In the 10+ rounds, if you strike gold, you'll lock that player down for his career and be paying pennies on the dollar for most of it.

If I were drafting in a keeper league with your settings, I wouldn't make any big reaches for rookies. Instead, I would grab a handful of ones I like in the 10+ rounds and hope a couple pan out.
Wenchtamer
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

CafeholicCafe Musketeer

Return to Football Talk