Who is the #3 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #3 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #3 pick in rookie dynasty league drafts?

Poll ended at Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

RB C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
48%
WR Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
48%
WR Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
No votes
RB Ben Tate, Houston Texans
4%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 25

Re: Who is the #3 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Postby Kareighuis » Thu May 06, 2010 11:24 pm

I'm so on the fence here. Spiller has great talent but is in a horrible situation. Dez is also talented but has much better offensive skill talent- guys who can take defensive attention away and a QB who is a proven NFL QB.

I'd go with Spiller if I had a sense that the constant turnover at head coach and in the front office would stop. It won't. Bryant wins.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Fri May 07, 2010 12:49 am

Kareighuis wrote:I'm so on the fence here. Spiller has great talent but is in a horrible situation. Dez is also talented but has much better offensive skill talent- guys who can take defensive attention away and a QB who is a proven NFL QB.

I'd go with Spiller if I had a sense that the constant turnover at head coach and in the front office would stop. It won't. Bryant wins.

Let me ask you a question: why is Spiller in a horrible situation?

The reason I ask is because I do believe there's a fair answer to this, but not the "popular" one that there are two other backs he's going to compete against.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bazzy_51 » Fri May 07, 2010 1:36 am

biju wrote:Let me ask you a question: why is Spiller in a horrible situation?

The reason I ask is because I do believe there's a fair answer to this, but not the "popular" one that there are two other backs he's going to compete against.

Clemson to Buffalo :-b :-D

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Lung » Fri May 07, 2010 7:59 am

This poll runs till Fri May 07, 2010 @ 6:35 pm, and it looks like one vote may decide it. ;-D
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 07, 2010 8:20 am

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:I'm so on the fence here. Spiller has great talent but is in a horrible situation. Dez is also talented but has much better offensive skill talent- guys who can take defensive attention away and a QB who is a proven NFL QB.

Let me ask you a question: why is Spiller in a horrible situation?

QB questions, oline issues, only 1 quality WR. Nevermind the defense.

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Stelly » Fri May 07, 2010 9:01 am

I think this one is REALLY close between Spiller and Bryant.

Normally, I would give the vote to the RB in this situation, but Spiller landing in Buffalo is atrocious. The o-line stinks. He has 2 other players to fight for touches (Jackson, Lynch). The QB situation is awful (Edwards is terrified of throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield). The only talent at WR is a deep threat (Evans) who can't get his hands on the ball because of the aforementioned QB sucking. The team is a mess, and untill management gets its head on straight, it's not going to get better. Spiller might immediately be their best offensive player, but he is the only player defenses need to keep an eye on.

Bryant has the talent and the situation to have an immediate and lasting impact in Dallas. Good offense, good QB, quality running game, other good receivers (Austin) and a situation where he can step right in and play (Roy E., welcome to 3rd WR duty).

Bryant gets my vote.

(and consider I voted this way as a Bills fan AND Cowboy hater!!)
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Stelly wrote:The o-line stinks. The QB situation is awful (Edwards is terrified of throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield).

Is he terrified throwing it so far downfield cause he knows the offensive line can't block for him and he'll get pummeled? Has Edwards been destroyed behind a bad oline, like David Carr, or can he have a career behind a decent line?

Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

Postby biju » Fri May 07, 2010 1:59 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
Stelly wrote:The o-line stinks. The QB situation is awful (Edwards is terrified of throwing the ball more than 10 yards downfield).

Is he terrified throwing it so far downfield cause he knows the offensive line can't block for him and he'll get pummeled? Has Edwards been destroyed behind a bad oline, like David Carr, or can he have a career behind a decent line?

My understanding of Edwards is two fold:

1. He doesn't have good line protection on the pass. Of course, if the Bills can acquire Jared Gaither that might change a bit.

2. He doesn't have the arm strength to throw down field. I read somewhere that he only threw downfield (greater than 10 yards) a few times **all year** in 2009.

Of course, the Bills' issues at QB may or may not be solved with Brian Brohm. Brohm, by his scouting report, still doesn't have the arm strength to throw downfield but he at least was expected to show good decision making and good touch on the ball. Touch is different than accuracy however, which suffered a little bit.

I still think the Bills are a better landing spot than you guys think, but far from ideal obviously.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Stelly » Fri May 07, 2010 2:10 pm

Kareighuis wrote:

He hasn't been beaten to a pulp like Carr was, that's for sure.

Honestly, I think it's a confidence issue. And I'm not sure that stems from him being unable to throw a deep ball, or the offensive coordinator not trusting or allowing him to do so. The play calling last season was ueber-conservative. Remember - Dick Jaroun had his grubby little dump-off pass hands all over the offense last season.

Whether Edwards is not physically able to throw downfield, or whether the playcalls prevented him from doing so, as the season wore on, he was less and less confident in his passing ability.

To be honest, I would not be suprise to see Brian Brohm under center at some point this season - maybe even to start the year. The Bills traded for him at the end of last season. Combine that with Edwards being in and out of the lineup last season, the fact that they only drafted a project QB in the 7th round (Levi Brown), and that Chan Gailey has said there will be an open competition for the starting job makes me think they feel like they have something in Brohm.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Stelly wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:

He hasn't been beaten to a pulp like Carr was, that's for sure.

Honestly, I think it's a confidence issue. And I'm not sure that stems from him being unable to throw a deep ball, or the offensive coordinator not trusting or allowing him to do so. The play calling last season was ueber-conservative. Remember - Dick Jaroun had his grubby little dump-off pass hands all over the offense last season.

Whether Edwards is not physically able to throw downfield, or whether the playcalls prevented him from doing so, as the season wore on, he was less and less confident in his passing ability.

To be honest, I would not be suprise to see Brian Brohm under center at some point this season - maybe even to start the year. The Bills traded for him at the end of last season. Combine that with Edwards being in and out of the lineup last season, the fact that they only drafted a project QB in the 7th round (Levi Brown), and that Chan Gailey has said there will be an open competition for the starting job makes me think they feel like they have something in Brohm.

I think that Jauron's playcalling had something to do with it. Edwards also is a more "conservative" QB by nature I think. He doesn't have the arm strength to gun the ball downfield, but he does throw a very nice deep ball (think good touch more than arm strength).

THe real problem with the Bills continues to be OT. When you get no blocking in the passing game, your QB won't be able to throw the ball donwfield, especially when he's not extremely mobile (Edwards isn't Bledsoe, but he's not Ryan Fitzpatrick either.....)

That's why I think Edwards doesn't fit with this team. He has great "mental attributes" and good technique, and he's not bad at anything. In fact, he could be an average to slightly above average (think Chad Pennington-ish, with more arm strength but not a gun) QB in the NFL. However, on a bad team, Edwards isn't going to create things himself; that's not his style.

I'm a much bigger fan of Brohm or Fitzpatrick taking the starting job. Both have great physical tools; Brohm was a little injury prone in college, which scares me behind a bad O-Line. I really like Fitzpatrick's mobility, and the fact that he's willing to take risks (this offense won't have many open receivers this year) and make things happen himself.

Bottom line, this offense is going to be bad again next year no matter what they do. It'll be better for fantasy owners if Edwards doesn't win the starting job, but bad OT play will result in a poor offense for fantasy purposes. The only guy on the Bills I would really want for fantasy might be Lee Evans as a late-round flier, since if Edwards doesn't win the job, he just might get his share of deep catches.....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Football Talk