2009 Defensive ROY Suspended - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

2009 Defensive ROY Suspended

Moderator: Football Moderators

2009 Defensive ROY Suspended

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 09, 2010 2:12 pm

Pretty big news considering how well he played last year:

The NFL announced Friday that Houston Texans linebacker Brian Cushing received a four-game suspension for violating its policy on performance-enhancing substances.

Cushing released a statement about the suspension Saturday.

"I was substance-tested randomly by the NFL during the 2009 season. The results of those tests indicated the presence of a non-steroidal banned substance. The league acted to suspend me based on those results, which I challenged in my appeal of the suspension. I believe we presented compelling evidence during the appeal process to challenge the test results, and I disagree with and am disappointed by the suspension.

"Bound by the decision of the league, I regret the situation it presents to the Texans' organization, my teammates, and our fans. My dedication to a championship season in 2010 continues undeterred."

Cushing, the 2009 NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, can practice with the team and play in preseason games. However, he will miss regular-season contests against the Indianapolis Colts (home), Washington Redskins (road), Dallas Cowboys (home) and Oakland Raiders (road). He'll be eligible to return for an Oct. 10 home game against the New York Giants.

Rest of Article
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2009 Defensive ROY Suspended

Postby joejlitz » Sun May 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Also from the article. I guess where there is smoke, there is fire:

Cushing was hounded by rumors of steroid use before he became a pro, but the Texans were undeterred and drafted him 15th overall last year. They said then that they found no truth to those rumors during their draft preparations, and Cushing strongly denied at the 2009 NFL Scouting Combine that he had used performance-enhancers.

joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 pm

Not only has he been suspended but Rookie of the year will go to re-vote. I doubt he wins now.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=n ... ml-2010510
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby joejlitz » Tue May 11, 2010 6:05 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Not only has he been suspended but Rookie of the year will go to re-vote. I doubt he wins now.

I think that's awesome - if the test occurred at some point during the 2009 season and the results are just being released now. I would have loved to have seen Shawn Merriman ineligble for MVP two years ago when he tested positive.

However, if this is a test from last month, I don't think that should be allowed.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Most unsurprising news ever....

A large portion of people knew he was juicing his entire time at USC, even he tried to deny it countless times, but let's be real about it:

Yea that's all from protein shakes and hard work right?? :-? :-t

He was caught for not having actual steroids in his system in September, but it was HCG which is a known product for guys cycling off the juice. He probably juiced the entire off-season and was using this to cycle off until the season was over. It's on the banned list for a reason, but whatever, you can look at the picture above and tell that nothing about him is all natural.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dawinner127 » Tue May 11, 2010 9:47 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Most unsurprising news ever....

A large portion of people knew he was juicing his entire time at USC, even he tried to deny it countless times, but let's be real about it:

Yea that's all from protein shakes and hard work right?? :-? :-t

He was caught for not having actual steroids in his system in September, but it was HCG which is a known product for guys cycling off the juice. He probably juiced the entire off-season and was using this to cycle off until the season was over. It's on the banned list for a reason, but whatever, you can look at the picture above and tell that nothing about him is all natural.

Cushing is from the town over to me and played at Bergen Catholic High School in New Jersey. Everyone knew he juiced in high school as well..
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 12, 2010 5:46 am

I heard his grade school is also underinvestigation...
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby dream_017 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:50 am

joejlitz wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Not only has he been suspended but Rookie of the year will go to re-vote. I doubt he wins now.

I think that's awesome - if the test occurred at some point during the 2009 season and the results are just being released now. I would have loved to have seen Shawn Merriman ineligble for MVP two years ago when he tested positive.

However, if this is a test from last month, I don't think that should be allowed.

Personally, I don't like the precident that this will set.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby mattb47 » Wed May 12, 2010 11:35 am

dream_017 wrote:
joejlitz wrote:

Personally, I don't like the precident that this will set.

You mean the precedent that if you cheat you can't win awards? I don't see the problem with that...quit juicing and play legitimately or take the consequences when you get caught.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby packers140 » Wed May 12, 2010 12:07 pm

Who will win Def POY?

S Byrd Buf???? or does LB Clay Matthews GB have a chance?
packers140
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 4)

Next

Return to Football Talk