Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Fri May 14, 2010 8:01 pm

WR Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
21%
RB Ben Tate, Houston Texans
50%
RB Montario Hardesty, Cleveland Browns
4%
WR Golden Tate, Seattle Seahawks
4%
QB Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
21%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 24

Postby The Lung » Mon May 10, 2010 8:01 pm

Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 4 or 5 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2010. Assume standard scoring (1 pt. per 10 yards rushing / receiving, and no PPR) Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you'd like to vote for a player NOT on this list, then please vote "other" and make a post to discuss the player. This will serve as a write-in vote for that player. ;-D

Previous polls
1.01 RB Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers
1.02 RB Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions
1.03 WR Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
1.04 RB C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Postby bungle613 » Mon May 10, 2010 9:11 pm

I would take Tate at 5
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby da bears » Mon May 10, 2010 9:36 pm

I went with Bradford here. Very accurate QB and built up some strength should have success in the NFL.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon May 10, 2010 10:13 pm

I voted for Ben Tate. I think he has a decent opportunity in Houston. The Texans have had problems finding a solution at the RB spot. Tate is a downhill runner with decent size and bulk but he won't be able to get around the corner. Maybe he is the guy.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 11, 2010 12:16 am

Tate- clear shot to majority of team's carries and offensive teammates/scheme will prevent defenses from keying on him.

And what C4L said, except for the "maybe" part. He may not have a high ceiling, but I'm confident his floor is high.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby biju » Tue May 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Lots of early votes for Ben Tate. I'm kind of wondering if people are basing this on talent or situation...

:-o
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Kareighuis » Tue May 11, 2010 3:15 pm

biju wrote:Lots of early votes for Ben Tate. I'm kind of wondering if people are basing this on talent or situation...

I'm basing it on situation. If I wound up with him, I'd keep him a bit, then trade him. If I got my hands on Demaryius Thomas, I know I'd have to patient. I don't expect him to be productive immediately.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby LS2throwed » Tue May 11, 2010 4:05 pm

Kareighuis wrote:Tate- clear shot to majority of team's carries and offensive teammates/scheme will prevent defenses from keying on him.

And what C4L said, except for the "maybe" part. He may not have a high ceiling, but I'm confident his floor is high.

I like Tate, but I just don't see him with the same potential as Thomas and I want a guy with a bigger ceiling...Thomas is in line to be an immediate producer and has the kind of potential to be a top 10 WR in the league in a few years. He's a big, strong, fast WR with great hands, breaks tackles, I don't know if Tate is anywhere near as good or if his situation just makes it easier to get early production.

I would take Thomas over Tate actually, he may not pay off as great of dividends right now but long term I'd easily take Thomas who is definately more talented then Tate is even if you ignored positions. I would be willing to wait longer for a guy to blossom in his 2nd year as a WR1 vs a RB who may flame out before his career even gets started.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Tue May 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:Lots of early votes for Ben Tate. I'm kind of wondering if people are basing this on talent or situation...

I'm basing it on situation. If I wound up with him, I'd keep him a bit, then trade him. If I got my hands on Demaryius Thomas, I know I'd have to patient. I don't expect him to be productive immediately.

This is always the problem with these types of polls IMO. This is a great gauge of short term usage but for dynasty I'm not so sure Tate is the best risk/reward pick. He could certainly end up being a better choice than some of these other guys, but from what I've seen of him I'd rather wait until a later pick where the "bust" potential is worth the risk. To me, there seem to be better options here that will pay off better than a 2 down back that has some questions surrounding him.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby da bears » Tue May 11, 2010 11:39 pm

I see a lot of David Boston type skills in Thomas, hopefully he can turn into a decent route runner cause he certainly has the size to dominate. Why is there not more love for the # 1 overall pick though considering this is a dynasty poll? Seems to be more of a for this next season type poll to me. Taking a RB in a backfield that is highly unpredictable instead of a potential future top 10 qb/wr seems a little unreasonable to me assuming you don't have needs for your team as The Lung presented the question.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 14)

Next

Return to Football Talk