Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Poll ended at Fri May 14, 2010 8:01 pm

WR Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
21%
RB Ben Tate, Houston Texans
50%
RB Montario Hardesty, Cleveland Browns
4%
WR Golden Tate, Seattle Seahawks
4%
QB Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
21%
Other (please explain)
No votes

Total votes : 24

Re: Who is the #5 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Postby bazzy_51 » Wed May 12, 2010 5:45 pm

I went with Thomas, and quite frankly I think Tate is the official engine of the C(afe) H(ype) T(rain). I mean come on, the Texans won't 100% or even 50% :-b give up on Slaton. Not to mention, yes Houston passes a ton which will open up running lanes, but with them passing a ton they like a receiving RB which Tate isn't. Plus hes, at best, a poor blocking back, something that doesn't bode well for him in that Texan's pass happy offense.

I would take Thomas, Bradford and maybe even Golden Tate over Ben Tate.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Kareighuis » Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:Tate- clear shot to majority of team's carries and offensive teammates/scheme will prevent defenses from keying on him.

And what C4L said, except for the "maybe" part. He may not have a high ceiling, but I'm confident his floor is high.

I like Tate, but I just don't see him with the same potential as Thomas and I want a guy with a bigger ceiling...Thomas is in line to be an immediate producer and has the kind of potential to be a top 10 WR in the league in a few years. He's a big, strong, fast WR with great hands, breaks tackles, I don't know if Tate is anywhere near as good or if his situation just makes it easier to get early production.

I would take Thomas over Tate actually, he may not pay off as great of dividends right now but long term I'd easily take Thomas who is definately more talented then Tate is even if you ignored positions. I would be willing to wait longer for a guy to blossom in his 2nd year as a WR1 vs a RB who may flame out before his career even gets started.

Ah, so you think, "Thomas is in line to be an immediate producer" but you think "he may not pay off as great dividends right now." I agree with that- Tate will outproduce him initially, but Thomas might produce more over the span of their careers. Do you take the certainty (but lower ceiling) or the likely higher ceiling but higher chance of busting? That's what it comes to for me.

Given the flux at Denver's QB spot (and how their skills don't match the routes Thomas can run) and the turnover I wouldn't be surprised to see in a few years at the head-coaching position, Denver screams too much instability for me. Calvin Johnson might be the most talented young WR, but the turmoil in Detroit (front office, coaching, QB) and lack of offensive wingmen isn't making fans of his fantasy owners.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Wed May 12, 2010 11:53 pm

biju wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
biju wrote:Lots of early votes for Ben Tate. I'm kind of wondering if people are basing this on talent or situation...

:-o

I'm basing it on situation. If I wound up with him, I'd keep him a bit, then trade him. If I got my hands on Demaryius Thomas, I know I'd have to patient. I don't expect him to be productive immediately.

This is always the problem with these types of polls IMO. This is a great gauge of short term usage but for dynasty I'm not so sure Tate is the best risk/reward pick. He could certainly end up being a better choice than some of these other guys, but from what I've seen of him I'd rather wait until a later pick where the "bust" potential is worth the risk. To me, there seem to be better options here that will pay off better than a 2 down back that has some questions surrounding him.

Better options?- I may've lost your previous post. Who would you prefer over Tate? He might be a 2-down back, but he'll get his teams carries- Slaton, if he plays, will be relegated to off-tackle and receptions.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu May 13, 2010 3:41 am

Gimme Bradford all day.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby da bears » Thu May 13, 2010 4:24 pm

bazzy_51 wrote:I went with Thomas, and quite frankly I think Tate is the official engine of the C(afe) H(ype) T(rain). I mean come on, the Texans won't 100% or even 50% :-b give up on Slaton. Not to mention, yes Houston passes a ton which will open up running lanes, but with them passing a ton they like a receiving RB which Tate isn't. Plus hes, at best, a poor blocking back, something that doesn't bode well for him in that Texan's pass happy offense.

I would take Thomas, Bradford and maybe even Golden Tate over Ben Tate.

My thoughts exactly on Tate in Houston. Benn isn't a horrible option either although not on the board yet.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 13, 2010 6:56 pm

I'm kind of torn here I think...this is a tough spot because none of these guys really jump out as being "better" than the rest. I think at this point I would probably be drafting for need whereas in the earlier picks I would have simply taken the best available. I think Tate is probably in the best situation of the RBs with Slaton being such a disappointment last season and no one else in that Houston backfield really claiming that job last year. Hardesty is another guy worth looking at...downside is he plays in Cleveland.

It's a little early for me to want to take a QB here although I like Bradford an awful lot...he doesn't exactly have an ideal situation in St. Louis from a fantasy standpoint and it would likely be a long term type of pick rather than a help you now guy. Thomas is another guy who is probably not going to produce much immediately and will be more of a project guy down the road who could be a contributor...word is they want him to play immediately but that's probably just as much because they don't exactly have their team overflowing with receiver talent either.

I'd probably put Tate here just because of how important RBs tend to be and I'm not terribly excited about Thomas...but this is one where it's hard to fault people for going different ways.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu May 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
Ah, so you think, "Thomas is in line to be an immediate producer" but you think "he may not pay off as great dividends right now." I agree with that- Tate will outproduce him initially, but Thomas might produce more over the span of their careers. Do you take the certainty (but lower ceiling) or the likely higher ceiling but higher chance of busting? That's what it comes to for me.

He is in line to be an immediate producer because he'll start on a team lacking WR options, but he won't pay off great dividends though like a RB would....He may be a WR3/4 option now, but great dividends won't kick in until year 2 or 3, but he'll still produce right away...I'm going to take the higher ceiling player in general period, RB's fizzle out so fast it's much easier to get a WR to be elite for 10 years then any RB.

Look how many years LJ was worth a damn, Slaton, I mean the list goes on and on...Not only that but I don't see much difference between Tate and say James Davis last year who was the next best thing, or an Andre Brown for the Giants, and neither have done much except Tate cost way more to land.

Given the flux at Denver's QB spot (and how their skills don't match the routes Thomas can run) and the turnover I wouldn't be surprised to see in a few years at the head-coaching position, Denver screams too much instability for me. Calvin Johnson might be the most talented young WR, but the turmoil in Detroit (front office, coaching, QB) and lack of offensive wingmen isn't making fans of his fantasy owners.

This is where I have to completely disagree. Not many people wouldn't take Calvin Johnson in a dynasty, and why should any owners be upset? He produced with crap around him the first 2 seasons, he had a down year last year, but look at his 2nd season. He's been worth starting since drafted and probably has 10 years of WR1/2 status and big time points. What RB would you trade him for? Whoever you do trade him for won't last nearly as long.

Also situation is one thing I mostly ignore in dynasties. Just like how you said how bad Calvin's situation in Detroit was, or when he was drafted, now look. It hasn't been that long, yet they have an up and coming QB who is arguably more talented then any QB playing now, an electric RB, two TE's to spread the field, a WR opposite Calvin, an improving O-line, all of a sudden it's an offense people are thinking will turn the corner and it was just crap.

I draft for talent in dynasty because I'm keeping these guys, their teams will get better soon enough, but if a guy lacks the same talent I'm not taking him first. Denver may be shaky now but if Thomas is a monster who cares? WR's can produce on shitty teams very easily, especially a guy like him who doesn't need to rely on a QB. He's not a speedy WR who needs a QB to throw it deep, he'll catch short routes and turn them into something and any QB can make a QB like that good.

Anquan Boldin had his best season as a rookie without Fitz and a crappy team with Jeff Blake and one of the McNowns throwing to him because he make a living with YAC on short routes, same as Thomas.

Also back to Calvin, even if you are an owner and frustrated, who would you rather have out of the class over him sans Peterson? Because Peterson was likely taken #1 overall anyway, so what other RB would you have taken if not Calvin?
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby The Lung » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 pm

RB Ben Tate wins.

Next poll.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)

Previous

Return to Football Talk