Matthew Stafford - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Matthew Stafford

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Matthew Stafford

Postby moochman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:10 pm

Free Bagel wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:A sophmore slump isn't out of the question and is quite the norm.

So what exactly would a sophomore slump be, coming off a season with a 53% completion percentage and a 13/20 TD/int ratio?

I watched a lot of Detroit games last year, and I saw nothing in Stafford to differentiate him from Kyle Boller, or the guy I thought he was when he was drafted. That is, big arm, no touch, poor accuracy and decision making.

Does anyone ever see this guy putting up numbers as good as Kurt Warner did last year? I sure don't. And now that you've answered that, consider that Kurt Warner was only QB14 last year and ask yourself if you're ever going to be using Stafford as anything more than a bye week fill-in.

Jeezez Bagel. You speak what I fear to acknowledge. While I can't buy into the hype, I can't call Stafford Kyle Boller just yet. But he sure does throw some strays out there. 8-o

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:43 pm

moochman wrote:
Free Bagel wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:A sophmore slump isn't out of the question and is quite the norm.

So what exactly would a sophomore slump be, coming off a season with a 53% completion percentage and a 13/20 TD/int ratio?

I watched a lot of Detroit games last year, and I saw nothing in Stafford to differentiate him from Kyle Boller, or the guy I thought he was when he was drafted. That is, big arm, no touch, poor accuracy and decision making.

Does anyone ever see this guy putting up numbers as good as Kurt Warner did last year? I sure don't. And now that you've answered that, consider that Kurt Warner was only QB14 last year and ask yourself if you're ever going to be using Stafford as anything more than a bye week fill-in.

Jeezez Bagel. You speak what I fear to acknowledge. While I can't buy into the hype, I can't call Stafford Kyle Boller just yet. But he sure does throw some strays out there. 8-o

I disagree with Bagel's assessment. Big arm, yes. I'd say spotty touch and accuracy, rather than no. He gambles too much, like Cutler and Favre- I wouldn't call that poor decision-making. Questionable, would maybe work better.

The real question is if it's something that can/will improve from last year. I have no reason to think it won't.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby LS2throwed » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:42 pm

Free Bagel wrote:

So what exactly would a sophomore slump be, coming off a season with a 53% completion percentage and a 13/20 TD/int ratio? ;-)

A sophmore slump would mean not improving on his numbers, or completion percentage, or TD to INT ratio as you would expect a rookie QB to do.

I mean, everyone is always pointing out his numbers, yet I don't think anyone has ever admitted that there wouldn't have been ANY rookie QB to step into a 0-16 team and do much better. The best thing going for Detroit was Calvin and he was constantly hurt. Stafford had no offensive line, no RB, no proven threat at TE, and a terrible defense. He took big hits all year in stride, got up and kept moving. He showed more potential as a rookie then Kyle Boller has in his entire career, for what it's worth Stafford's rookie season on that terrible team would of probably been the best season of Boller's career.

Of course there were some inaccurate passes, but with the amount of time he had to pass, and the weapons he had to throw to, why were people expecting anything more? Matt Ryan looked poised his rookie year because they had Michael Turner hording carries and being able to utlize the play-action, not one person respected the run from Detroit. I think what Stafford did was very impressive, and it remains to be seen what he'll do in his sophmore year but it's a bit harsh to be using his stats against him without taking into consideration of the situation.

He has alot of physical tools then Boller ever had, and can be a top 5 QB in this league eventually, I don't think anyone ever honestly believed that about Boller, whether it be as a prospect, or after he played a few games.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:55 pm

I don't really think that Stafford has the potential to be a top 5 QB in the league...physically he has the tools but time and time again we've seen that the physical tools just aren't quite enough in the NFL. His decision making was pretty weak on a consistent basis and he let far too many passes fly obviously banking on his strong arm to bail him out of some bad choices on where to go with the ball and it bit him hard last season. This season COULD be worse as that was him playing without teams having significant film on him and we've all seen what defensive coordinators in this league can do to players, especially QBs, in their second seasons once they get a good idea on how they can attack them. Could be a long year for him.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk