CJ2K's holdout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

CJ2K's holdout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: CJ2K's holdout

Postby aaawall91 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Other than that I'm okay with the system as is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

aaawall91 wrote:I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.

I agree with everything but that last part. If a player can have his contract, agreed to in good faith, revoked at any time by the other party without his agreement, there MUST be a similar power available for the player's side. Holding out is a bad counter-weight, because team's can fine them for not being present, which defeats the whole purpose of holding out. That would be like saying, if a player holds out because the team won't pay him the going rate, then the contract (or that year's portion) becomes guaranteed.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Kareighuis wrote:

I agree with everything but that last part. If a player can have his contract, agreed to in good faith, revoked at any time by the other party without his agreement, there MUST be a similar power available for the player's side. Holding out is a bad counter-weight, because team's can fine them for not being present, which defeats the whole purpose of holding out. That would be like saying, if a player holds out because the team won't pay him the going rate, then the contract (or that year's portion) becomes guaranteed.

I get your point. But if star players on my team could leave anytime they wanted to (and they routinely did), I don't think I would be able to really connect with the team and therefore probably wouldn't watch with the passion and fervor that I do. Turn in my season tickets. TV ratings down. Etc.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby moochman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:13 am

joejlitz wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:

I get your point. But if star players on my team could leave anytime they wanted to (and they routinely did), I don't think I would be able to really connect with the team and therefore probably wouldn't watch with the passion and fervor that I do. Turn in my season tickets. TV ratings down. Etc.

So you think that Spiller would make more or less than a RB taken three picks later? The team that picks you provides the environment for success, so how could you base a contract on your success? While I acknowledge that the current system is flawed, it is far and away better than other sports. And surely better than pay for play, incentive based contracts.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk