CJ2K's holdout - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

CJ2K's holdout

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: CJ2K's holdout

Postby aaawall91 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Other than that I'm okay with the system as is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9934
(Past Year: 62)
Joined: 15 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: East Lansing

Re: CJ2K's holdout

Postby Kareighuis » Fri May 28, 2010 11:41 am

aaawall91 wrote:I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Other than that I'm okay with the system as is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.


I agree with everything but that last part. If a player can have his contract, agreed to in good faith, revoked at any time by the other party without his agreement, there MUST be a similar power available for the player's side. Holding out is a bad counter-weight, because team's can fine them for not being present, which defeats the whole purpose of holding out. That would be like saying, if a player holds out because the team won't pay him the going rate, then the contract (or that year's portion) becomes guaranteed.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 3627
(Past Year: 2)
Joined: 14 Mar 2007
Home Cafe: Football

Re: CJ2K's holdout

Postby joejlitz » Fri May 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Kareighuis wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Other than that I'm okay with the system as is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.


I agree with everything but that last part. If a player can have his contract, agreed to in good faith, revoked at any time by the other party without his agreement, there MUST be a similar power available for the player's side. Holding out is a bad counter-weight, because team's can fine them for not being present, which defeats the whole purpose of holding out. That would be like saying, if a player holds out because the team won't pay him the going rate, then the contract (or that year's portion) becomes guaranteed.

I get your point. But if star players on my team could leave anytime they wanted to (and they routinely did), I don't think I would be able to really connect with the team and therefore probably wouldn't watch with the passion and fervor that I do. Turn in my season tickets. TV ratings down. Etc.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
Image
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7050
(Past Year: 37)
Joined: 21 Sep 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: G-14 Classified

Re: CJ2K's holdout

Postby moochman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:13 am

joejlitz wrote:
Kareighuis wrote:
aaawall91 wrote:I'm a firm believer in incentive-based contract for ROOKIES.

Other than that I'm okay with the system as is.

Although I'm not a huge fan of teams being able to cut there losses with a player at any time, there really isn't much of a way around that in the NFL due to the nature of the game.


I agree with everything but that last part. If a player can have his contract, agreed to in good faith, revoked at any time by the other party without his agreement, there MUST be a similar power available for the player's side. Holding out is a bad counter-weight, because team's can fine them for not being present, which defeats the whole purpose of holding out. That would be like saying, if a player holds out because the team won't pay him the going rate, then the contract (or that year's portion) becomes guaranteed.

I get your point. But if star players on my team could leave anytime they wanted to (and they routinely did), I don't think I would be able to really connect with the team and therefore probably wouldn't watch with the passion and fervor that I do. Turn in my season tickets. TV ratings down. Etc.


So you think that Spiller would make more or less than a RB taken three picks later? The team that picks you provides the environment for success, so how could you base a contract on your success? While I acknowledge that the current system is flawed, it is far and away better than other sports. And surely better than pay for play, incentive based contracts.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16302
(Past Year: 82)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 23:29 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact