Slaton to Return to Top Form? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Slaton to Return to Top Form?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Slaton to Return to Top Form?

Postby joejlitz » Wed May 19, 2010 6:07 pm

If Slaton's issues were mostly related to the nerve damage, I would think he could be a steal in the later rounds and definitely become a top RB2 - though those of you who remember, I was blindly high on him last year, too so take my comments with a grain of salt. 8-o

Texans RB Slaton recovered from neck surgery, ready to rebound
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Steve Slaton can't wait to get back on the field for the Texans.
The running back struggled in 2009 with fumbling and a nerve problem in his neck, winding up with a subpar second NFL season after rushing for a franchise-record 1,282 yards as a rookie.

Slaton and the Texans had downplayed the extent the nerve issue contributed to his fumbling. But after having offseason neck surgery to correct the problem, Slaton acknowledged that it was a major factor in his inability to hold onto the ball.

Slaton said he couldn't feel his right arm from the thumb to his shoulder.

"If you can't feel your hand, then you really can't squeeze as hard as you want to," Slaton said this week as the Texans began their offseason work. "I tried to downplay it, but it came to a point where it was so serious I had to get surgery."

Slaton fumbled seven times and rushed for just 437 yards in 11 games before he was placed on injured reserve. Now that the feeling in his arm has returned, Slaton is confident he can return to top form.

"I think any player is going to feel like they have something to prove," Slaton said. "Definitely from having a positive first year and such a negative second year, I think I need to get back to what my first year was."

Rest of Article: Texans RB Slaton recovered from neck surgery, ready to rebound
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Slaton to Return to Top Form?

Postby moochman » Thu May 20, 2010 4:28 pm

Surley places him in the super sleeper category, but I do worry about someone with nerve damage in his neck who plays RB, AKA guided missle, in the NFL.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 pm

I'm not overly optimistic about Slaton...if for no other reason that Kubiak seems to have inherited the fickle nature of Mike Shanahan when it comes to RBs. All it would take was another couple fumbles or a couple bad games and he could be back in the doghouse again with Ben Tate now drafted onto that team as well.

I'm going to file this under, I'll believe he's better when I see he's better.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu May 20, 2010 10:07 pm

I'm not that high on him either but I do see him as a potential mid round steal. Right now he is listed as number one on the depth chart but there are a few guys that could all produce (Foster, moats, or the draft pick).

As mentioned above I don't have confidence the coach will stick with Slaton all year so I won't take the risk of drafting him too early.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby LS2throwed » Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 am

I think Arian Foster is a much better sleeper candidate in Houston then Slaton...You will also be able to get him much later, I don't think Tate is a shoe-in to brush him aside like some other people do.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Fri May 21, 2010 9:41 pm

LS2throwed wrote:I think Arian Foster is a much better sleeper candidate in Houston then Slaton...You will also be able to get him much later, I don't think Tate is a shoe-in to brush him aside like some other people do.

I agree...but at the same time I don't trust Kubiak to really stick with one guy enough to be worth drafting as anything but a late round flier. It reminds me of those days in Denver with Tatum Bell, Mike Bell, and Mike Anderson or whoever they had...no one I'm terribly excited about and so it will be hard for me to spend a reasonably high pick on that.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby lacunacoiler » Sat May 22, 2010 1:51 am

LS2throwed wrote:I think Arian Foster is a much better sleeper candidate in Houston then Slaton...You will also be able to get him much later, I don't think Tate is a shoe-in to brush him aside like some other people do.

I'm hoping that Slaton that returns to form though.. i just traded a future 1st round for him during last offseason before his disastrous 2009 season.... If it wasn't for that injury & fumbling problems, he could have produced 1000+ total yards & 10+ total td's.. I still have high hopes that Slaton will still produce fantasy numbers worth of a flex option...

Regarding the rb situation in HOU, so who is now leading the candidate?? What i'm hearing from alot of forums is that Tate is still no.1 on the depth chart...

And regarding Tate, you guys think he will be the man in HOU at the end of the season or either Foster or Slaton got a shot of finishing better than Tate at the end of the year??

All i'm seeing from alot of the forums(rotoworld, espn,fantasyfootball.com, etc) are saying that Tate is the 2nd best rookie rb this season & will make a run for Matthew's money for the rookie of the year.. But i don't entirely agree with them coz they have completely written off SLaton & Foster from the competition...

I'm just wondering about what to do with Tate in 2 of my dynasty leagues with 2 teams drafting in top 6.. One team got 4th overall & the other moved to 5th overall from 6.. I'm torn to whether to trade up to get him or trade down & hope he lands to me on for both of my teams.. The people outside the Cafe are really high on him next to Matthews, & i don't know whether to jump into the bandwagon or keep my finger off the trigger..

For now my plans for both teams are to likely target Hardesty if Best is gone.. I'm not planning to draft Bryant on both teams coz i dont need an extra wr & i'm also torn if Spiller is worth one of my team's 4th overall..
lacunacoiler
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby bazzy_51 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:16 pm

lacunacoiler wrote:And regarding Tate, you guys think he will be the man in HOU at the end of the season or either Foster or Slaton got a shot of finishing better than Tate at the end of the year??

All i'm seeing from alot of the forums(rotoworld, espn,fantasyfootball.com, etc) are saying that Tate is the 2nd best rookie rb this season & will make a run for Matthew's money for the rookie of the year.. But i don't entirely agree with them coz they have completely written off SLaton & Foster from the competition...

I really think he has big value in Dynasty leagues, but to say the 2nd best Rookie RB this year is a bit drawn out IMO. His receiving skills out of the backfield are very much average at best, and he is not a good blocking back at all. Those 2 huge draw backs holding his potential back, especially on this pass happy squad. I think as he gets more and more NFL experience, and more and more training/coaching with some of the big league coaches that those 2 flaws will become better and better. But to say that all of that will happen this year is a stretch. I still say Slaton is the RB1 opening day and will have the biggest of the 3 chucks of touches. I would rank them for this year 1. Slaton 2. Foster 3. Tate. But going forward in dynasty leagues I would very much rank them (this is couting next year and a couple years after) 1A Slaton 1B Tate 2 Foster, with Tate eventually overtaking Slaton, or Slaton moving on to another squad.

A big thanks to deluxe_247 for the sweet sig!
bazzy_51
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Mon May 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Arian Foster is running as the Texans' first-team tailback at OTAs.

Last year's late-season hero is getting the reps with Ben Tate (hamstring) injured and Steve Slaton (neck surgery) apparently heading up the second team. We certainly wouldn't rule out Foster beginning camp, and possibly the season, as the Texans' starting tailback. He's got the clear early lead.
Source: houstontexans.com

Granted this doesn't mean too much because Tate is dinged up and so is Slaton, but it's noteworthy because Foster ended the season on a pretty strong note and if he gets off to a hot start, as MattB said it could be an issue where you don't really know who to trust.

I just highly disagree with some fantasy sites pimping Tate so hard and expecting ROY and all this, I don't think he'll get the workload to do it, nor do I think he's got a clear path...His workload is alot cloudier then Mathews, Best, or even Hardesty who is at worst going to get 15 carries split with Harrison as a speed back.

Foster is somewhat similiar to Tate, and while Tate is a much better athlete and faster, Foster does have experience and did well in spot duty...

19 carries, 97 yards, 1 TD
20 carries, 119 yards, 2 TD's

That was his close to the season once he finally got the work....I doubt he starts getting 20 right off the bat, but he's partly the reason why I don't like Tate all that much. Slaton has talent but his season was more of a fluke, if you read between the lines between him, and say a Chris Johnson, all the Texans talked about was how they wanted a bigger back, and how they didn't want him to get as many carries as he did, I think they would love to have him as a 3rd down RB strictly because he's already started to get beat up.

I still like Hardesty more then Tate, offense isn't nearly as good but I think he'll have a better rookie season and a clearer path for production. Longer Tate is out the more this helpts Foster.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer