Beware - "Typhoid adware" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Beware - "Typhoid adware"

Moderator: Football Moderators

Beware - "Typhoid adware"

Postby stomperrob » Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

U of C prof warns Internet cafe users of 'Typhoid adware'
Once loaded, program barrages users with pop-up ads, cautions associate professor John Aycock
AFP May 21, 2010 1:03 PM

SAN FRANCISCO - Canadian university researchers on Friday warned of a new strain of advertising software that can sneak onto laptop computers linked to wireless networks at Internet cafes.

University of Calgary computer science researchers have branded the potentially infectious ad software "Typhoid adware" for its ability to spread in public through unsuspecting laptop users.

"We're looking at a different variant of adware which we haven't seen out there yet but we believe could be a threat soon," said associate professor John Aycock, who co-authored a Typhoid research paper.

Adware is software typically sneaked onto people's computers when they download booby-trapped files such as screen savers or browser tool bars.

Once on machines, the programs barrage users with pop-up advertisements.

"Typhoid adware is designed for public places where people bring their laptops," says Aycock. "It's far more covert, displaying advertisements on computers that don't have the adware installed, not the ones that do."

con`t...

more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/p ... story.html
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Beware - "Typhoid adware"

Postby Metroid » Fri May 21, 2010 5:29 pm

The people that make this stuff and let it loose should be rounded up and and beaten with mouse cords and old laptops. :-[

Thanks for the heads up stomper. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri May 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Yes thanks Stomper. Have you been hibernating?

I can't stand stuff like this designed to attack your computer. I wish there was some sort of device that automatically sent whatever was attacking back to the source to fry the computer sending the adware, malware, or viruses.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby bungle613 » Mon May 24, 2010 10:03 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Yes thanks Stomper. Have you been hibernating?

I can't stand stuff like this designed to attack your computer. I wish there was some sort of device that automatically sent whatever was attacking back to the source to fry the computer sending the adware, malware, or viruses.

You ever considered they don't want to do that? Billions and billions are spent on anti virus, new computers, fixing computers etc... it is like the electric car... it can be done, THEY just don't want it to!
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Tue May 25, 2010 10:49 am

Lol. nah Ive been lurking around in the background, just don't post much anymore!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)

Postby Munboy » Thu May 27, 2010 12:18 am

bungle613 wrote:

You ever considered they don't want to do that? Billions and billions are spent on anti virus, new computers, fixing computers etc... it is like the electric car... it can be done, THEY just don't want it to!

No, it really can't.

Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to General Talk