New York to host SB XLVIII - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New York to host SB XLVIII

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: New York to host SB XLVIII

Postby Kareighuis » Thu May 27, 2010 10:08 pm

Munboy wrote:
Kareighuis wrote: Who's the one who decided cold weather cities SHOULDN'T get Super Bowls.

The NFL did actually. There's a 40 degree plus rule that was relaxed to allow the SB be played in NY/NJ.

I got to spend time with the South Florida (Miami/Fort Lauderdale) bid committee while working the Super Bowl announcement show for NFL Network and when it was noted that the NFL was waiving the 40-degree average temperature stipulation, several people in the group said, "They've opened Pandora's box."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true

Well then, it seems they've resolved that problem. Football is a cold-weather game and belongs outdoors.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri May 28, 2010 12:23 am

Kareighuis wrote:I can't believe ppl are talking about this being a big deal. Who's the one who decided cold weather cities SHOULDN'T get Super Bowls. Everyone talks about all those legendary games in the 60s and stuff when the breath would freeze as soon as you exhaled. Bring the sport back to it's roots. I'd love to see a GB game, or one in Chicago. Imagine the weather for that game between the Patriots and Raiders in 2002 in a SB.

My sentiments exactly. I love the ambience of the extremly cold weather games.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby moochman » Sat May 29, 2010 11:56 am

Once again the league caters to the money...to the detriment of football's title game. I would have been much happier if the league were honest enough to tell the Giants to put a lid on it or you're not getting a Super Bowl. This is too important a game to have weather play such a role. I love football, so much so that in have looked back to the 70s and 80s history to see how the game was. (Part of the reason I am not satisfied with the way the game is trending today) One playoff comes right to mind. In 1982 in the Orange Bowl, a playoff game was played between the Chargers and the Phins{. The game was an epic offensive slugfest that was won in OT by the Bolts, 41-38. This is thought to be one of the greatest playoff games ever played. The next week the Bolts went to a fridgid Cincinatti, playing in -9 degrees with a wind chill of -59 they were beaten by the Bungals 27-7. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. That is not what the Super Bowl should have happen. Say the Saints and Colts (Or which ever powerful air attack led dome teams) meet in Jersey and its 10 degrees, with a 20-30 MPH gusts. Will we see the best football?

Then what? What happens if Buffalo builds another outdoor stadium? Green Bay in Feburary anyone? We could end up destroying part of what makes the SuperBowl great, a decent climate for a title game. Put a lid on it, and we're good. In fact, I think who ever decision it was not to should be fired at once. The hosting of many SuperBowls would more than pay for a retractable doom. Idiots.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Metroid » Sat May 29, 2010 12:57 pm

I'm with mooch....I do not want.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Stelly » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:35 pm

moochman wrote:Once again the league caters to the money...to the detriment of football's title game. I would have been much happier if the league were honest enough to tell the Giants to put a lid on it or you're not getting a Super Bowl. This is too important a game to have weather play such a role. I love football, so much so that in have looked back to the 70s and 80s history to see how the game was. (Part of the reason I am not satisfied with the way the game is trending today) One playoff comes right to mind. In 1982 in the Orange Bowl, a playoff game was played between the Chargers and the Phins{. The game was an epic offensive slugfest that was won in OT by the Bolts, 41-38. This is thought to be one of the greatest playoff games ever played. The next week the Bolts went to a fridgid Cincinatti, playing in -9 degrees with a wind chill of -59 they were beaten by the Bungals 27-7. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. That is not what the Super Bowl should have happen. Say the Saints and Colts (Or which ever powerful air attack led dome teams) meet in Jersey and its 10 degrees, with a 20-30 MPH gusts. Will we see the best football?

Then what? What happens if Buffalo builds another outdoor stadium? Green Bay in Feburary anyone? We could end up destroying part of what makes the SuperBowl great, a decent climate for a title game. Put a lid on it, and we're good. In fact, I think who ever decision it was not to should be fired at once. The hosting of many SuperBowls would more than pay for a retractable doom. Idiots.

While I understand your point - where do youdraw the line? Soon cold weather won't be acceptable for Conference Title games. Then it's ALL playoff games. Next thing you know, every team will be forced to play in a dome, and the NFL is reduced to a arena league.

If the NFL allows nasty weather for every other playoff game, why not the Super Bowl??

(I know the answer is $$$, but let's just ignore that :-D )
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby biju » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:27 pm

Stelly wrote:
moochman wrote:Once again the league caters to the money...to the detriment of football's title game. I would have been much happier if the league were honest enough to tell the Giants to put a lid on it or you're not getting a Super Bowl. This is too important a game to have weather play such a role. I love football, so much so that in have looked back to the 70s and 80s history to see how the game was. (Part of the reason I am not satisfied with the way the game is trending today) One playoff comes right to mind. In 1982 in the Orange Bowl, a playoff game was played between the Chargers and the Phins{. The game was an epic offensive slugfest that was won in OT by the Bolts, 41-38. This is thought to be one of the greatest playoff games ever played. The next week the Bolts went to a fridgid Cincinatti, playing in -9 degrees with a wind chill of -59 they were beaten by the Bungals 27-7. ZZZZZZZZZZZ. That is not what the Super Bowl should have happen. Say the Saints and Colts (Or which ever powerful air attack led dome teams) meet in Jersey and its 10 degrees, with a 20-30 MPH gusts. Will we see the best football?

While I understand your point - where do youdraw the line? Soon cold weather won't be acceptable for Conference Title games. Then it's ALL playoff games. Next thing you know, every team will be forced to play in a dome, and the NFL is reduced to a arena league.

If the NFL allows nasty weather for every other playoff game, why not the Super Bowl??

(I know the answer is $$$, but let's just ignore that :-D )

Well I'm merely playing devil's advocate here, but you play the whole season to determine home field advantage getting to the Superbowl. However once at the Superbowl, there should be a minimal impact by advantage and let it be about the players and the strategy.

I feel that very adverse weather (snow, wind, heavy rain) plays a distinct advantage for teams with strong running games and a supreme disadvantage for teams that are pass heavy. I just feel that this can compromise the game too much as to shift who might win.

Let's take a team that is an extremely strong running team and extremely weak at passing, and have them play their (relative) polar opposite. This gives us a team like the Panthers against the Saints. (The Saints can actually run well, but I think it's mostly due to the passing game and less the talent.) In a severe snowstorm I'm not sure the Panthers don't win this one, while in a warm weather game this shouldn't even be a close game.

And once again, Seattle will never get that same Superbowl even though our weather is much better than New York's during that time of the year with a stadium that is still relatively new. Should the NFL alienate certain geographical locations like that? And sometimes it's not all about money as I'm pretty sure Paul Allen could buy the rest of the NFL teams, build a stadium made of pure gold and still have enough money to make top 100 lists. Sometimes there's just undue bias.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:22 pm

So let's just solve this once and for all. The rule was originally in place in order to provide a great climate to play the ultimate game. Since that no longer matters, let's just give the SB to the team with the best record. They earned it.

And anyway, why the hell does it take 4 years to plan a Super Bowl (1 game), but MLB cities can support a World series with very little notice? :-B

Give it to the team with the best record. Let season ticket holders buy the tickets. Give it back to the fans. Much less logistical requirements if they do that.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Stelly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:37 pm

joejlitz wrote:So let's just solve this once and for all. The rule was originally in place in order to provide a great climate to play the ultimate game. Since that no longer matters, let's just give the SB to the team with the best record. They earned it.

Exactly!!! If you remove the neutrality of playing in a dome/warm weather climate, treat it like every other playoff game. Award home field advantage to the team with the better record.

joejlitz wrote:And anyway, why the hell does it take 4 years to plan a Super Bowl (1 game), but MLB cities can support a World series with very little notice? :-B

This is easy - money. The NFL has a 2 week long event leading up to the game. It's all about corporate sponsors, parties, and entertaining the elite that come in town for the game.

Imagine that - MLB/NHL/NBA can support a Championship series (2-4 home games in 2 different cities!) in a moments notice. Why? It's about the on field/ice/court product more than the SuperBowl is.

joejlitz wrote:Give it to the team with the best record. Let season ticket holders buy the tickets. Give it back to the fans. Much less logistical requirements if they do that.

I love this, and think it is a super (pun intended) idea. The concept of a neutral site SuperBowl has always driven me nuts. All year good teams lose to lesser teams b/c of weather and other factors. It all can effect the eventual Champion (tiebreakers, making/not making playoffs, post season opponents, etc.) and everyone loves it. But come SuperBowl time, they want to play the game in a vaccuum.
10-Team, non-PPR

QB:
RB: R. Rice, CJ Spiller
WR: AJ Green
K:
Def:
Stelly
Head Coach
Head Coach

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:27 pm

I actually agree more with the Superbowl location being determined by the team with the best record than I do with the league arbitrarily selecting "neutral" sites. :-?
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Dawinner127 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:59 pm

Metroid wrote:I actually agree more with the Superbowl location being determined by the team with the best record than I do with the league arbitrarily selecting "neutral" sites. :-?

Makes two of us. Team with the best record should be rewarded home field advantage.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk