New York to host SB XLVIII - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

New York to host SB XLVIII

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: New York to host SB XLVIII

Postby bungle613 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:12 pm

joejlitz wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Like I said, if they'd cut down on the hoopla and BS, it could easily be done. I watch football to watch football, I could care less about who's performing at the pre-Superbowl week block party or whatever. But you're right, a lot of people watch just for that crap, and in generates millions, so it is what it is.

It does kinda make me sad that a football fan would say the "NFL takes the time to do it right." They take the greatest sport's biggest game and make it look like Liberachi on meth. Sorry, to me that ain't doing anything right.

IT is what pays for portions of your teams players, funding of stadiums, pension plans (poorly unfortunately) etc... forget the Superbowl for a minute and take an average stadium of 60K "fans" A good portion of them are there because of the hype that started in the NFL 20+ years ago. Before 1984 the NFL was a distant 2nd to MLB and really just grouped together with NBA.

As a football fan there are lots of different things I would like to see but they would be wholesale changes for my own personal greedy mind. The NFL has it right and has marketed itself better than any other sport in North America. I can't really say they should change it.

It is, but that is reverse logic, IMO. Salaries are so steep partly as a result of the money the NFL generates from this. If the NFL didn't make so much money, they could pay out so much.

I don't have much problem with most NFL players earning money, rookies different story but that is another topic. For a player to have a 5-7 year window to make as much money as possible is fine by me. The NFL has marketed itself so well that it pays what 25% of team salaries? If they can finally start to look after their retired players and not say it is a PA issue then I would be happy. I can live with what the NFL charges for Sunday ticket, ticket prices, apparel etc... Do I want to see $5 tickets... probably not. I can't go see semi-pro sports for $5 for the most part so why should I expect to see the NFL for $5. I can go see a Superbowl Champion team play against Buffalo for $40, probably less but $40 I can get very close to the 50 yard line.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby biju » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:11 pm

joejlitz wrote:
bungle613 wrote:
Metroid wrote:Like I said, if they'd cut down on the hoopla and BS, it could easily be done. I watch football to watch football, I could care less about who's performing at the pre-Superbowl week block party or whatever. But you're right, a lot of people watch just for that crap, and in generates millions, so it is what it is.

It does kinda make me sad that a football fan would say the "NFL takes the time to do it right." They take the greatest sport's biggest game and make it look like Liberachi on meth. Sorry, to me that ain't doing anything right.

IT is what pays for portions of your teams players, funding of stadiums, pension plans (poorly unfortunately) etc... forget the Superbowl for a minute and take an average stadium of 60K "fans" A good portion of them are there because of the hype that started in the NFL 20+ years ago. Before 1984 the NFL was a distant 2nd to MLB and really just grouped together with NBA.

As a football fan there are lots of different things I would like to see but they would be wholesale changes for my own personal greedy mind. The NFL has it right and has marketed itself better than any other sport in North America. I can't really say they should change it.

It is, but that is reverse logic, IMO. Salaries are so steep partly as a result of the money the NFL generates from this. If the NFL didn't make so much money, they could pay out so much.

Not that I should steer the debate this direction, but you *want* player salaries to be high. What this means for the sport is that more talented athletes choose football over another sport and it keeps the bar high from another league coming in and spreading out the talent the way the USFL did (or tried to do). Think if a player like Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson had decided that while they are very good at football it "just doesn't pay as well as baseball" and they didn't play football at all. I guess what I mean is that human evolution and training technology aside, the game is getting better because there is more talent which is a direct result of competition for high paying jobs.

It's like if teacher's salaries were $200,000 a year we'd all have had much better teachers growing up (well, I thought a good portion of mine sucked at least).

:-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:43 am

biju wrote:Not that I should steer the debate this direction, but you *want* player salaries to be high. What this means for the sport is that more talented athletes choose football over another sport and it keeps the bar high from another league coming in and spreading out the talent the way the USFL did (or tried to do). Think if a player like Deion Sanders or Bo Jackson had decided that while they are very good at football it "just doesn't pay as well as baseball" and they didn't play football at all. I guess what I mean is that human evolution and training technology aside, the game is getting better because there is more talent which is a direct result of competition for high paying jobs.

It's like if teacher's salaries were $200,000 a year we'd all have had much better teachers growing up (well, I thought a good portion of mine sucked at least). :-D

I don't know that I have ever read someone else say this. I have argued that point in threads concerning the leagues trying to reduced rookie salaries and have felt like I was on an island. Well you are not, my friend, I agree totally. Play the guys who are making you money, don't be so punative towards them, and take care of them once they are broken. That will attract those who can choses to play other sports.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Previous

Return to Football Talk