Does anyone use Yahoo, and do the computer draft? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Does anyone use Yahoo, and do the computer draft?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Does anyone use Yahoo, and do the computer draft?

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:37 pm

Does anyone use Yahoo and draft via the computer? If so, does it work well?

I have done a draft via e-mail all 3 years and it is a huge hassle for me. My work is going to be crazy-busy this summer so I don't want to do an e-mail draft again. 4 owners live in other states, so a live draft is not feasible.

I'm getting a lot of resistance to my idea of switching to a different free fantasy site. They all love Yahoo because it's familiar.

A few years back, I was on another Yahoo leauge that used the computer draft and it kept having glitches and it was a real PITA for the Commish to go in and correct the issues.

I guess I'm hoping to hear from a few of you guys who say that it works really well. Anyone?
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Does anyone use Yahoo, and do the computer draft?

Postby markulous » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 pm

I did a live draft on the computer at Yahoo last year. It worked fine for me. We didn't have any issues with anything.
markulous
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Ek » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:12 pm

My league has for several years with only a handful of problems, all of which seemed like they had to do with the ISP or the browser. I'd advise using FIrefox, at least if you are a Mac user. You also can pre-rank players, which prevents you from getting completely screwed over if there is a glitch during one of your picks.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:23 am

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I can say with confidence that the vast majority of our live drafts run smoothly. When they don't, I hear about it, so I'd know ;-)

Another tip I can give is using your queue while in the live draft room. Any players you put into the queue during the draft are stored server-side, so that can come in handy as well if your ISP burps and you're disconnected. Look at it like this: your pre-ranks basically re-order how we rank players relative to each other, but the autopick algorithm doesn't always pick the highest ranked player (or you might end up with 5 quarterbacks or something). If the autopicker intends to pick you a quarterback, your pre-ranks can definitely impact which one you get. Now your queue is a different matter. The queue says, "This is who I want. End of story." So if nothing else, if you know who you want to pick next, and you put them in your queue, even if you get disconnected due to network problems, then as long as that person is still available, that's who you will pick. Make sense?
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brownsfantasygirl » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:25 pm

Thanks guys. I think I might try it this year. Can I set how much time for each pick, or does Yahoo decide?
brownsfantasygirl
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:50 am

brownsfantasygirl wrote:Thanks guys. I think I might try it this year. Can I set how much time for each pick, or does Yahoo decide?

That's sort of funny. Not ha ha funny, weird funny. For auction format drafts, we now let you choose from a few choices for nomination time and bid time. But it looks like we never actually exposed that sort of functionality for standard drafts. The draft server itself can do it (i.e. have that be configurable), but it looks like we've never exposed that to you guys. I can state up front that even when we do, there will be limits on what you can pick. I know some people here want to be able to put 6 hours per pick, but it would make it near about impossible for us to manage our draft server resources. But I can file an enhancement reminding people that we never exposed this feature. Thanks for noticing.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:29 pm

i draft 4 football, 3 baseball, and 1 basketball league every year for the last 4 years on yahoo live drafts....and have never had a problem

other sites...not so much. i would say yahoo is the most reliable. auction on espn and cbs screwed w us thsi last time
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby Mrip1 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:08 pm

At least 50% of the time the draft window will not load for me. If it does it is often after my round 1 selection has been made by the computer. My comp specs are on the higher end so that's not the issue.
Mrip1
Water Boy
Water Boy

Return to Football Talk