Maple Bars are Golden('s)! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Maple Bars are Golden('s)!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Maple Bars are Golden('s)!

Postby dgan » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:50 pm

What the... ?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-seahawks-tate-pastry

Seahawks rookie wide receiver Golden Tate(notes) apologized Tuesday and said he was “very embarrassed” after police in suburban Seattle gave him a warning for trespassing into a gourmet doughnut shop at 3 a.m. last weekend.

Tate said the Top Pot doughnuts store is in the bottom of the building in which he lives in Bellevue, Wash.

“Freshly baked. I made the mistake of—a buddy made the mistake going in grabbing a couple. We ate them,” the former Notre Dame star said after an organized team activity. “This is the wrong type of media I want to bring to the organization.”

The celebrity gossip outlet TMZ first reported the incident Tuesday.

Mark Klebeck, co-founder of Top Pot Doughnuts, told Seattle’s KJR radio that a baker must have gone to the restroom and left a door unattended or unsecured. He said that during that time Tate and another person must have entered the bakery through a back door or freight elevator that connects the store to the residences in which Tate lives.

He said the baker followed proper company protocol and immediately called police. While officers were dispatched, Klebeck told KJR, the baker recognized Tate as a resident of the building. That diffused the situation.

“The baker just said it really wasn’t anything more than people were in the bakery who shouldn’t have been there,” Klebeck told the station. “That doesn’t make any excuse for coming in when we’re closed.”

Klebeck couldn’t be reached for comment Tuesday by The Associated Press.

Tate said police gave him a warning. “They just kind of said ‘don’t do it again,’ which I won’t.”

He also called the incident a “foolish mistake.”

“But,” he added, “if you ever want maple bars, that’s the place to go.”

Top Pot recently signed an agreement with the Seahawks’ stadium, Qwest Field, to sell doughnuts and coffee during NFL and Major League Soccer games.

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said he has already spoken with Tate about the incident.

“No, I’m not disappointed at a guy being at a doughnut shop at 3 in the morning when they got maple bars like Top Pot has,” Carroll deadpanned.

“However, under the circumstances, I think they were closed or something like that, trying to close, or whatever,” the coach said. “That’s definitely wrong. We’ve talked about it, addressed it. He’s remorseful and all that. I do understand the lure of the maple bars.”

“Must be some good Maple Bars!” Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck(notes) posted on his Twitter page.

Tate said he understands he could have learned a lot tougher lesson than getting some bad publicity off a warning.

“I’d rather learn on this … than on something on me being arrested or cited, something bigger,” he said. “Next time I will have the buddy go in and buy them instead.”
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Maple Bars are Golden('s)!

Postby biju » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:44 am

I don't want to sound like this is even a little bit what I want the Seahawks to be known for in the offseason, but Top Pot Doughnuts are retarded good. Like so good that even a diabetic would have a tough time resisting.

:-D

P.S.-That's not a rip on being diabetic, but rather a confession...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:52 am

This was my favorite news story of a day spent bored at the newspaper while the Lakers won, the Mariners lost and the NFL is still not even close to the preseason 8-o :-b
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:59 am

I'd put our Voodoo Doughnuts up against your Top Pot Doughnuts in a blind taste test any day of the week. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby biju » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:38 am

Metroid wrote:I'd put our Voodoo Doughnuts up against your Top Pot Doughnuts in a blind taste test any day of the week. :-D

I've, of course, had Voodoo doughnuts. Yes, they are fabulous although the ones I've had are more "quirky" than just plain and good. My particular favorite of the ones I've tried was the "Lucky Charms" glazed.

My favorite Portland food item (outside of all the fantastic beer) has got to be the D.C. Vegetarian truck and that Burrito truck that sits on something like 3rd and Oak (yeah, that's probably not right--I can only seem to find it after about 15 Dead Guy Ales).

By the way, do you ever make it out to the Oregon Brewers Festival? This year will be #4 in a row and we'll be there early Thursday afternoon to kick it off...

;-D
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:59 pm

Nationwide exposure = I'm sure the donut shop is OK with it... ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:08 pm

biju wrote:
Metroid wrote:I'd put our Voodoo Doughnuts up against your Top Pot Doughnuts in a blind taste test any day of the week. :-D

I've, of course, had Voodoo doughnuts. Yes, they are fabulous although the ones I've had are more "quirky" than just plain and good. My particular favorite of the ones I've tried was the "Lucky Charms" glazed.

My favorite Portland food item (outside of all the fantastic beer) has got to be the D.C. Vegetarian truck and that Burrito truck that sits on something like 3rd and Oak (yeah, that's probably not right--I can only seem to find it after about 15 Dead Guy Ales).

By the way, do you ever make it out to the Oregon Brewers Festival? This year will be #4 in a row and we'll be there early Thursday afternoon to kick it off...

;-D

Yeah Voodoo is probably more quirky than anything, I was just being a goof. Although any doughnut shop that puts bacon on a doughnut is top notch in my book. :-L :-B

There is a spot, I believe in the Pearl, that has like 7 different "Roach Coaches" and food stands that serve all kids of food. They're all in a circle and it's like a courtyard with tables to eat at. The trucks are open super late, like 2 or 3am or something. Best place to stumble to after the bars close. But like you I can't seem to find the damn place unless I'm hammered. I think Shannon knows where it is though. :-?

I haven't been to the Brewers Fest yet. I'm always studying for a midterm or something. Hopefully this year. ;-D
Metroid

Postby scottaa1 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:41 pm

biju wrote:My favorite Portland food item (outside of all the fantastic beer) has got to be the D.C. Vegetarian truck and that Burrito truck that sits on something like 3rd and Oak (yeah, that's probably not right--I can only seem to find it after about 15 Dead Guy Ales).

That's the best burrito in the world (the one you get after 15 beers).

Top Pot must attract a lot of stoners. After the initial disappointment that they only carry donuts, the stoners are pretty ok with that.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
biju wrote:My favorite Portland food item (outside of all the fantastic beer) has got to be the D.C. Vegetarian truck and that Burrito truck that sits on something like 3rd and Oak (yeah, that's probably not right--I can only seem to find it after about 15 Dead Guy Ales).

That's the best burrito in the world (the one you get after 15 beers).

Top Pot must attract a lot of stoners. After the initial disappointment that they only carry donuts, the stoners are pretty ok with that.

Haha, totally. :-b
Metroid

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:12 pm

Perfect. ;-D I took a chance on Deon Butler late in a draft last year and this helps him.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Next

Return to Football Talk