Who is the #12 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #12 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:47 pm

WR Brandon LaFell, Carolina Panthers
13%
RB Toby Gerhart, Minnesota Vikings
13%
RB Jonathan Dwyer, Pittsburgh Steelers
25%
TE Jermaine Gresham, Cincinnati Bengals
13%
QB Jimmy Clausen, Carolina Panthers
19%
Other (please explain)
19%

Total votes : 16

Postby The Lung » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:47 pm

Who is the #12 (and final pick in the first round) of dynasty league rookie drafts? You are voting on who will have the best fantasy football production in the NFL over the next 4 or 5 years with the team on which the player was just drafted, NOT who will have the best year in 2010. Assume standard scoring (1 pt. per 10 yards rushing / receiving, and no PPR) Also please assume that you have a balanced roster and don't have a great specific need for a QB, WR, etc.

Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these players - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. If you'd like to vote for a player NOT on this list, then please vote "other" and make a post to discuss the player. This will serve as a write-in vote for that player. ;-D

Previous polls
1.01 RB Ryan Mathews, San Diego Chargers
1.02 RB Jahvid Best, Detroit Lions
1.03 WR Dez Bryant, Dallas Cowboys
1.04 RB C.J. Spiller, Buffalo Bills
1.05 RB Ben Tate, Houston Texans
1.06 WR Demaryius Thomas, Denver Broncos
1.07 RB Montario Hardesty, Cleveland Browns
1.08 QB Sam Bradford, St. Louis Rams
1.09 WR Arrelious Benn, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1.10 WR Golden Tate, Seattle Seahawks
1.11 WR/RB Dexter McCluster, Kansas City Chiefs
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 68)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #12 pick in dynasty league rookie drafts?

Postby moochman » Sat Jun 12, 2010 7:40 am

Going with Clauson. Has enough tools to maybe make it in the league. Position scarcity plays a role.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:34 pm

Clausen should be a decent QB in the league. I see the rest of those guys as having a much higher bust potential....
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:08 pm

Clausen over Mike Williams? Please. I am not taking a QB in the 1st round unless I believe he's a game changer or going to be elite, otherwise you could rotate guys like Garrard into your line-up each year until you find one, and I don't think Clausen is elite. I would only be taking a QB like Clausen if I finished the season with Kurt Warner and Matt Hassalback type of options.

Mike Williams is firmly my #2 WR in this class and going to make alot of people regret passing him up. Funny thing is had he been drafted sooner people would have been wanting to pick him higher, but the only thing that got him picked later was the character concerns of supposedly quitting the team, not that he can't play.

He'll be a stud and he's got definate #1 WR potential, I'm taking that over a marginal QB, which is what Clausen is in my eyes, and the eyes of pretty much every team in the NFL. Good QB's don't last long, hell even a small school QB from a Div 1-AA school like Flacco was traded up for in the top 20 picks, Clausen has pedigree, pro style system, competition, experience, and it still wasn't enough to prove he was a 1st round talent. He's a waste of a 1st round pick in rookie drafts.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:46 pm

I voted Clausen. I feel he is in a good situation and has enough skills to make it for a long time.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:04 pm

LS2throwed wrote:Clausen over Mike Williams? Please. I am not taking a QB in the 1st round unless I believe he's a game changer or going to be elite, otherwise you could rotate guys like Garrard into your line-up each year until you find one, and I don't think Clausen is elite. I would only be taking a QB like Clausen if I finished the season with Kurt Warner and Matt Hassalback type of options.

Mike Williams is firmly my #2 WR in this class and going to make alot of people regret passing him up. Funny thing is had he been drafted sooner people would have been wanting to pick him higher, but the only thing that got him picked later was the character concerns of supposedly quitting the team, not that he can't play.

He'll be a stud and he's got definate #1 WR potential, I'm taking that over a marginal QB, which is what Clausen is in my eyes, and the eyes of pretty much every team in the NFL. Good QB's don't last long, hell even a small school QB from a Div 1-AA school like Flacco was traded up for in the top 20 picks, Clausen has pedigree, pro style system, competition, experience, and it still wasn't enough to prove he was a 1st round talent. He's a waste of a 1st round pick in rookie drafts.

Agree here. Mike Williams is the best left here for me too. I wouldn't even think of Clausen as a possibility for my team in the first round of this year's rookie draft...I think he's overrated and his draft day fall reflects that.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Little Big Head » Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Mike Williams all the way for me.
Little Big Head
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby Kareighuis » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:03 am

Well, I'm the only person who's voted Gresham so far, so here's why I voted against all the rest-

LaFell- Great opportunity, with Smith and the running game drawing coverage. Moose is retired and Jarrett hasn't taken hold of his chance to be the #2 WR. CBS considered LaFell the best WR prospect going into last year's college season. He has all the measurables you'd want in a WR- except his small hands (8 3/4), which led to a ton of drops in college. A great blocker who can step right in for Muhammad, LaFell is a better football prospect than fantasy football player.

Gerhart and Dwyer- pre-draft, both were fantasy considerations. Both were drafted by teams with either elite or soon-to-be-established RBs in Adrian Peterson and Mendenhall. Both will be, at best, back-up RBs. Both have the physique that have led many to say they should play FB at the pro-level.

Clausen- not elite, not guaranteed to even start. Positional scarcity only comes into play when considering the rookie QBs. Some dynasty teams have been sitting on QBs like Leinart, Kolb and Henne- I'd consider targeting one of them or getting a placeholder and one of the QBs coming out next year.

Mike Williams- Talent with little positional competition gives him a high ceiling. But, character concerns give him a very low floor. A very wide possible range of production.

Gresham- Ochocinco can draw coverage, but lacks big-play ability. A plethora of WRs (Antonio Bryant, Dez Briscoe, Jordan Shipley, Andre Caldwell) can potentially line up opposite, but injury, rookie and character concerns abound. Gresham has the vertical speed to be a downfield weapon- depending on Bryant's head and knees, perhaps the only one.

I'm much more willing to draft Gresham's higher floor with very good ceiling to Williams' extremely wide differential between his potential upper-level production and his bust chance. You know Gresham will produce- you hope Williams will. Gresham's ceiling is near Williams', but his floor is MUCH higher.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 3)

Postby biju » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:13 am

Kareighuis wrote:Well, I'm the only person who's voted Gresham so far, so here's why I voted against all the rest-

LaFell- Great opportunity, with Smith and the running game drawing coverage. Moose is retired and Jarrett hasn't taken hold of his chance to be the #2 WR. CBS considered LaFell the best WR prospect going into last year's college season. He has all the measurables you'd want in a WR- except his small hands (8 3/4), which led to a ton of drops in college. A great blocker who can step right in for Muhammad, LaFell is a better football prospect than fantasy football player.

Gerhart and Dwyer- pre-draft, both were fantasy considerations. Both were drafted by teams with either elite or soon-to-be-established RBs in Adrian Peterson and Mendenhall. Both will be, at best, back-up RBs. Both have the physique that have led many to say they should play FB at the pro-level.

Clausen- not elite, not guaranteed to even start. Positional scarcity only comes into play when considering the rookie QBs. Some dynasty teams have been sitting on QBs like Leinart, Kolb and Henne- I'd consider targeting one of them or getting a placeholder and one of the QBs coming out next year.

Mike Williams- Talent with little positional competition gives him a high ceiling. But, character concerns give him a very low floor. A very wide possible range of production.

Gresham- Ochocinco can draw coverage, but lacks big-play ability. A plethora of WRs (Antonio Bryant, Dez Briscoe, Jordan Shipley, Andre Caldwell) can potentially line up opposite, but injury, rookie and character concerns abound. Gresham has the vertical speed to be a downfield weapon- depending on Bryant's head and knees, perhaps the only one.

I'm much more willing to draft Gresham's higher floor with very good ceiling to Williams' extremely wide differential between his potential upper-level production and his bust chance. You know Gresham will produce- you hope Williams will. Gresham's ceiling is near Williams', but his floor is MUCH higher.

Kareighuis, I love reading your thoughts on players. I love them because for the most part I completely disagree with them. We are so completely polar opposite on nearly every topic I actually get really excited when I see your posts. Not that one of us is right and one is wrong, good or bad, smart or stupid; but our strategies must be so different that they end up working in spite of having differing views.

I find that nothing short of amazing. Seriously. I know my track record and I suspect most people on this board dominate their local leagues too.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:19 am

I think that Gresham honestly has just as low a floor as Williams when you consider the bust rate of TEs in the NFL and the extensive injury history the guy has especially to his knees...those are just as big or bigger concerns to me on top of the fact that he's on the Bengals who have never proven they can effectively use a TE. I think he has a lot more things going against him than you seem to think and I don't know that he's really much of a sure thing in any way here. I'd take Williams all day every day over Gresham in a rookie draft.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk