Oil in the Gulf - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Oil in the Gulf

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:27 pm

knapplc wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:His comment about this being his 9-11 kind of made me throw up in my mouth a little.

When did he say that? I have barely watched the news in the last couple of months, apparently. I'm missing everything. :-B


Me too. What's embarrassing is I think I heard it on ESPN. :-B
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:31 pm

I misquoted. He specifically said the oil spill's impact on the national psyche echoes 9/11. Yeah, losing 2700 lives to a terrorist attack is pretty much the same as an oil spill. Pfft. :-?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:23 pm

He said:

"In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come," Obama added in language that underscored his new sense of urgency about the disaster.


LINK

I'd say that's a pretty fair and true statement. :-?

EDIT - not sure how the link got messed up.
Last edited by knapplc on Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:27 pm

knapplc wrote:He said:

"In the same way that our view of our vulnerabilities and our foreign policy was shaped profoundly by 9/11, I think this disaster is going to shape how we think about the environment and energy for many years to come," Obama added in language that underscored his new sense of urgency about the disaster.


LINK

I'd say that's a pretty fair and true statement. :-?


That sounds like a completely different statement from the quote I heard, about it having the same impact on our national psyche. Where's that part of the speech because I don't agree with that at all. One is an environmental impact, one a threat to our nation's security. While I will not downplay the impact of this oil spill, it is certainly the most horrible environmental catastrophe in my recent memory, but comparing it's impact to that of terrorists hijacking airplanes and flying them into NYC buildings is silly in my opinion.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

I fixed the link. I'm not sure how it got messed up, but whatever.

That's a direct quote from Obama. He's not saying it's a 1:1 comparison, he's saying that it's going to have a long-lasting impact on the country. And it is - the way we view offshore drilling and possibly fossil fuels in general will change after this. Sure, 9/11 was 1,000,000 times more hurtful/impactful/whatever, but are we really going to rake the guy over the coals because he referred to 9/11?
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:41 pm

knapplc wrote:I fixed the link. I'm not sure how it got messed up, but whatever.

That's a direct quote from Obama. He's not saying it's a 1:1 comparison, he's saying that it's going to have a long-lasting impact on the country. And it is - the way we view offshore drilling and possibly fossil fuels in general will change after this. Sure, 9/11 was 1,000,000 times more hurtful/impactful/whatever, but are we really going to rake the guy over the coals because he referred to 9/11?


Oh, I'm not raking him over the coals. Didn't mean for it to come across like that, only that it was a silly comment in my opinion. Why even make the comparison if not for the sole purpose of getting a reaction because you said "9/11"? No, I don't think we impeach the guy for saying it, only that it was a little out of character from his normally well choreographed lines.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby josebach » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:22 pm

I know people don't hold animals in the same regard as humans, nor do I, but the loss of life that's taking place in the Gulf makes me sick to my stomach similarly to how the loss of life of 9/11 did. Certainly, it's not the same, but making the comparison isn't exactly a stretch. Especially, considering that unlike 9/11, I'm at least partially responsible because the life I live relies so heavily on fossil fuels. It may also be worse because i'm only 30 minutes from the Gulf. We're seriously effing up our planet.
Image
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 4611
Joined: 27 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Tallahassee, FL

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Metroid » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:31 pm

josebach wrote:I know people don't hold animals in the same regard as humans, nor do I, but the loss of life that's taking place in the Gulf makes me sick to my stomach similarly to how the loss of life of 9/11 did. Certainly, it's not the same, but making the comparison isn't exactly a stretch. Especially, considering that unlike 9/11, I'm at least partially responsible because the life I live relies so heavily on fossil fuels. It may also be worse because i'm only 30 minutes from the Gulf. We're seriously effing up our planet.

Totally agree. :,-(
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:11 pm

knapplc wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Obama is failing on this one. Our turn. :-)


What should Obama be doing?


The same thing the Dems/Libs/Socialists/commies said Bush should have done. React quicker.

How long should oil spill into the gulf before the President gets involved? This is serious.
Image
Image
Cowboys 4 life
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9515
(Past Year: 78)
Joined: 18 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Re: Oil in the Gulf

Postby knapplc » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Obama is failing on this one. Our turn. :-)


What should Obama be doing?


The same thing the Dems/Libs/Socialists/commies said Bush should have done. React quicker.

How long should oil spill into the gulf before the President gets involved? This is serious.

React how? In what way?

It's easy to say, "React quicker," but when the Feds aren't set up to handle this kind of relief, it's a sticky wicket. The Feds, and specifically FEMA, are purpose-built to respond to disasters like Katrina. They have plans in place to do so, but Bush just sat on his hands and farted around while New Orleans and environs withered away. No president, whether that be Obama or Bush II or Clinton or Reagan or whomever, has ever had a specific plan in place for this eventuality. They can't plan for every industrial disaster, and they shouldn't have to.

Blaming Obama for this is like blaming you when my sister gets knocked up by her stupid boyfriend. You're associated with me through the Cafe, but you have no responsibility to clean up the mess my family creates.

PS - I am neither a Dem nor a Liberal nor a Commie nor a Socialist, but I still think Obama is doing OK and Bush was an idiot - and I'm also the guy who was defending Bush when people were ripping him a new one.

You should try not being a Republican or a Democrat and join us Moderates who will eventually rule the world. Partisan politics and the BS it entails is stupid and wasteful and distracts us from the real problems we face. Obama is no better and no worse than Bush; both have their abilities and their failings, and acting against them like the party wants you to act doesn't help anything.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 12:15 hours
(and 43 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact