Greg Olsen - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Greg Olsen

Moderator: Football Moderators

Greg Olsen

Postby Azrael » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 am

Does anyone else think this guy is going to be a complete waste this year? I look at Vernon Davis and how he floundered in Martz's offense, was considered a bust, and one year out away from Martz and he turns into the guy we had dreamed of when he was drafted. Has the TE ever been successful for Martz? It seems like his schemes to me are the problem for the TE. Olsen will severely disappoint this year. Not that he was great last year but still...almost worthless I'm thinking.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Greg Olsen

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:41 am

Azrael wrote:Does anyone else think this guy is going to be a complete waste this year? I look at Vernon Davis and how he floundered in Martz's offense, was considered a bust, and one year out away from Martz and he turns into the guy we had dreamed of when he was drafted. Has the TE ever been successful for Martz? It seems like his schemes to me are the problem for the TE. Olsen will severely disappoint this year. Not that he was great last year but still...almost worthless I'm thinking.

That is a very good point. No TE has EVER been a success in Martz's offense. We even thought with Vernon's talent he would use him as a WR but it never happened.

On Yahoo Bears Team page: Brandon Manumaleuna was signed away from the Chargers as an unrestricted free agent because he's the kind of big (6-2, 295) blocking tight end that Mike Martz values in his offense.

Decent Article from the same page http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=y ... ears052910

The 2010 solution: Overcome Martz’s anti-tight end bias

There are two things we know about Martz’s history as an offensive mastermind: His generally productive systems will eschew the tight end positions except for blocking purposes, and protection is the least of his concerns. Martz prefers seven-step drops with four- and five-wide receiver formations, which is a very dangerous combination unless you’ve got an all-star offensive line … which the Bears decidedly do not. Martz may have to adjust his concept of timing in the pocket, and tight end Greg Olsen(notes) could be the key to that turnaround.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby moochman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:40 pm

The Mad Scientist hatred of passing to TEs does offer an interesting opportunity to pick up a very talented TE much later than he should be drafted. Cutler use his TE at all in Denver? Will Cutler be knocked on his can enough to start bailing to a safety net receiver? Is Olsen a big target with great hands? hmmm. Olsen could be chicken dinner, or chicken scratchings, but his draft position may make him worth a shot.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby da bears » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:22 pm

He won't be on any of my teams except as a possible bye week filler. He'll still likely see plenty of fade routes near the end zone but that's hard to rely on week in week out with so many talented te's this year. He needs to be more aggressive on the field/better hands which he improved on towards the end of the season but he's just not what he could be (yet) and the whole Martz thing isn't going to help. He's still a huge mismatch on the field but his only chance to get a position in the slot is if hester, aromashodu, bennett, and knox all don't make any progress. Heck you can even throw forte into that equation. Lots of decent hands in Chicago this year but their season rides on Mike Tice improving that o-line not Martz.
da bears
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 10)

Postby Kensat30 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:48 pm

I like all Bears this year. Jay Cutler is going to be a freaking beast and Olsen has the talent to get a piece of the pie even in a Martz offense. I'm thinking Olsen may slip to the later rounds because of the massive disappointment he was last season and the Martz factor, but this guy could easily put up low TE1 numbers for a good value.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:31 am

Sorry Kensat, if dude didn't put up low end TE1 numbers last year it won't be this year in a Mike Martz offense. The 4th WR gets far more looks then the TE1, always has been, always will be, especially the guys who don't block, he doesn't even like to have those types of TE's on the field.

Which speaks volumes about what the Bears did. They wasted one of the best offensive players. They bring in Martz because nobody else could fill the job, they knew he didn't utilize TE's, and then they screw it up even worse by trying to keep him which always baffles me. He'll go on to have a below average year, lose all his value on the market, and then your stuck with him or trading him for a 5th round pick. I firmly believe they could of pushed to get a 2nd out of NE pretty easily as they had multiple, and your not going to use the guy anyway, that 2nd would of been far more useful.

I would stay away in redrafts, I doubt he comes anywhere near decent starting value. He was hot and cold last year as it was with way too many games not doing crap, this isn't the type of offense you want to see him in to expect him to improve.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:29 am

early list of TE's i would take before Olsen

Clark, Dallas TE IND 
Gates, Antonio TE SD 
Davis, Vernon TE SF
Celek, Brent TE PHI
Gonzalez, Tony TE ATL
Witten, Jason TE DAL 
Finley, Jermichael TE GB 
Daniels, Owen TE HOU 
Shiancoe, Visanthe TE MIN
Winslow, Kellen TE TB 
Cooley, Chris TE WAS 
Carlson, John TE SEA
Keller, Dustin TE NYJ 
Shockey, Jeremy TE NO 
Miller, Zach TE OAK 
Heap, Todd TE BAL
Miller, Heath TE PIT
Boss, Kevin TE NYG 
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby 34=Sweetness » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 pm

Avoid. He can't block, Martz doesn't use TEs, and Olsen wasn't exactly showing his superstar side beforehand.

Bears were dumb not to trade him on draft day.
ImageImage
34=Sweetness
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Return to Football Talk