Is news on NFL.com biased? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is news on NFL.com biased?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is news on NFL.com biased?

Postby WeekSixteen » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I never really thought about it until today. I was reading a news story titled, "Report: Government investigating NFLPA employees for collusion", on NFL.com. I'm an avid fantasy footballer and over the last couple of years more and more of my information and page hits come from and go to NFL.com. It used to be a site like cnnsi.com/football would provide me the latest news and as a for profit news agency independent of the NFL I never had any qualms. I'm sure a lot of you also use mlb.com for baseball related news but this begs my question. Do the reporters and news stories serve the agenda of the league instead of teams and players?

I think (not know) that NFL.com answers to the NFL. Which as the main site for the league of the NFL have you ever considered that there might be an agenda behind the scenes, a cause for the news stories?
WeekSixteen
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is news on NFL.com biased?

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:33 am

Jason X wrote:I never really thought about it until today. I was reading a news story titled, "Report: Government investigating NFLPA employees for collusion", on NFL.com. I'm an avid fantasy footballer and over the last couple of years more and more of my information and page hits come from and go to NFL.com. It used to be a site like cnnsi.com/football would provide me the latest news and as a for profit news agency independent of the NFL I never had any qualms. I'm sure a lot of you also use mlb.com for baseball related news but this begs my question. Do the reporters and news stories serve the agenda of the league instead of teams and players?

I think (not know) that NFL.com answers to the NFL. Which as the main site for the league of the NFL have you ever considered that there might be an agenda behind the scenes, a cause for the news stories?

I read that story on Yahoo By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... deralprobe

I see the same exact headlines as I see on Yahoo and other sports outlets.

However when you think about it they are biased because they only have news for Football.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby moochman » Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:16 pm

Unbiased news is simply reported, and most unread by the general public because it doesn't interest them or is just boring. Biased news is news that is reported to send a wanted message or to pacify readers--you know, news you want to read about. So sites like NFL.com are biased by their very nature. They have to judge if enough will want to read a story before it get posted, or if they will lose credibility by not reporting.
Biased, yes. Just like almost anything you will ever read.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Yep...like mooch said, all news is going to be biased in some way because all people are biased on things. Even something like just a presentation of facts could be biased because it could end up not containing all of the facts...everything presented should be assumed that there is a bias in there somewhere.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk