Dragon Age Origins - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Video Games

Dragon Age Origins

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dragon Age Origins

Postby mattb47 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:08 pm

Anyone else played this game? Easily one of the very best RPG games I've ever played and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who is a fan of RPGs. Just curious as to whether anyone else around here has gotten into this game...takes a ton of time to beat and the expansion pack adds a ton more as well.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dragon Age Origins

Postby Dan Lambskin » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:48 am

i havent but now i'm intrigued...unfortunately i just dont have the time to committ to something like that
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Yea...this game even without the expansion is probably a solid 40+ hour type game. There's a ton to do, great story and really good character interaction. Actually has decent replay value as well which is unusual for longer RPG games.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:44 am

what's it comparable to?
i havent really played any PC RPG in awhile, but back in the day i enjoyed Wizardry, Baldurs Gate and Elder Scrolls to name a few...oh, and Diablo if that counts :-b
also a big fan of Final Fantasy
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mattb47 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 pm

Well, it's made by the same people who made Baldur's Gate (Bioware) and they are probably one of the better makers of RPGs currently with them having made the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games as well (both are excellent also) as well as Mass Effect.

It's somewhat turn based, similar to the battle style of Knights of the Old Republic if you've ever played that but the real draw of the game is a great storyline, some good graphics, and a pretty good character interaction setup. It's been rated very highly by nearly every site I've seen that has reviewed it and the PC version is consistently rated the highest as it has some pretty good mod capability as well.

It will take up a good deal of time but I'd say it's worth picking up and playing for anyone who enjoys RPG games and especially great storylines which is usually the biggest draw in games for me.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby logan » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:49 pm

I'm waiting for the xmas/black friday Steam sales to finally pick it up. The recent Ea week sale on Steam still wasn't quite in my sweet spot for this game as i had already picked up Metro 2033 and Dead Space n the last week.

But yeah it's the same vein as Bg,BG2,NWN and KotOR by Bioware.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby bagobonez » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:02 am

I finished it last winter. Arguably the best RPG ever made as far as character interactions, storyline, atmosphere, immersion,etc. As far as gameplay goes, I'd say that's only average. But overall an outstanding game. Can't wait for the sequel this spring.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Manja » Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:55 am

This game is amazing. One of the best RPGs of the past decade. I wish the Origin stories were a little bit longer, but still an awesome game. DA2 didn't quite live up to my expectations, but still a great game nonetheless.
Manja
Head Coach
Head Coach

Return to Video Games