US World Cup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US World Cup

Moderator: Football Moderators

US World Cup

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:04 pm

What an amazing win! 1-0 should have been more like 2- or 3-0 thanks to tons of missed chances and another bogus disallowed goal, but I'll take it!

Looks like Serbia is the most likely opponent Saturday (though everyone in the group is still alive, so the U.S. won't know its opponent until a bit before 1:30 PST today) - it'll be interesting to see how it'll all shake out, but I can tell you this: I'll be glued to the nearest TV on Saturday morning/early afternoon no matter who we play ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: US World Cup

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:53 pm

US will play Ghana. In the 2006 World Cup, Ghana defeated the US to advance out of their group (eventual champions Italy were in said group). Ghana are quite good in midfield and defense and can play well on the counterattack. Problem is, they can't finish and have relied on the penalty spot with their only two goals scored from there. Should be an interesting match although Germany-England is the peach of the knockout round.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby knapplc » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:55 pm

Ghana gonna go down. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:16 pm

USA USA USA!
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:05 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:US will play Ghana. In the 2006 World Cup, Ghana defeated the US to advance out of their group (eventual champions Italy were in said group). Ghana are quite good in midfield and defense and can play well on the counterattack. Problem is, they can't finish and have relied on the penalty spot with their only two goals scored from there. Should be an interesting match although Germany-England is the peach of the knockout round.

Agreed across the board, and here's to not being in the "peach" and to drawing the S.Korea/Uruguay winner if we win (instead of Argentina) ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:00 pm

That goal by the US was incredible. I'm so pissed I had to leave for school literally 10 minutes before it happened. :-[
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:36 pm

knapplc wrote:Ghana gonna go down. ;-D

Yup. The US is Ghana whoop some arse. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:44 pm

Metroid wrote:That goal by the US was incredible. I'm so pissed I had to leave for school literally 10 minutes before it happened. :-[

Ooooh. Ouch! :-P Catch it on the radio?
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 pm

WaCougMBS wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:US will play Ghana. In the 2006 World Cup, Ghana defeated the US to advance out of their group (eventual champions Italy were in said group). Ghana are quite good in midfield and defense and can play well on the counterattack. Problem is, they can't finish and have relied on the penalty spot with their only two goals scored from there. Should be an interesting match although Germany-England is the peach of the knockout round.

Agreed across the board, and here's to not being in the "peach" and to drawing the S.Korea/Uruguay winner if we win (instead of Argentina) ;-D

Well, the US deserved to go top, simple as.

It's going to be tough sledding for England, but I think they have a fair shot at Germany. Argentina, well, I think they're more vulnerable than most will give them credit for, but England must control possession and they need a player or two with creative technique going forward. Aside from Rooney, England don't have the latter to break down defenses with improvisation. I'd like to see England in the semi once I'm down in South Africa and that'll be some kind of accomplishment.

One thing to keep in mind is that slow starters tend to go far in the World Cup. France and Italy did that 4 years ago. France in particular defeated Spain, Brazil, and Portugal en route to the final. 20 years ago, England got off to a similar start as this year's competition in Italy and they got to the semifinals, bowing out to Germany on penalties (a sad refrain for an England supporter).
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Next

Return to General Talk