US World Cup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US World Cup

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: US World Cup

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Metroid wrote:That goal by the US was incredible. I'm so pissed I had to leave for school literally 10 minutes before it happened. :-[

Like I said on the Darkside, I caught both games at the pub, which had shown both US and England matches. When the full time whistle had blown for England and they clinched their way to the round of 16, Donovan scored the winner. Pretty much the crowded pub went mental with both US and England fans cheering, more so the US side obviously with the winning goal late. Surreal stuff.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby portisfan24 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Had to listen on the radio since I was working. Exciting stuff and the highlights were incredible. I jumped on the US bandwagon before the tourney mainly because I have two friends who are huge England fans. Plus, we Canadians would be lost without the US. Either way I am happy with my choice considering how things have gone so far.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nfl Fan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:07 pm

portisfan24 wrote:I jumped on the US bandwagon before the tourney mainly because I have two friends who are huge England fans.

Well, the more the merrier! :-)
How did your two friends take the muffed save that resulted in a tie?
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:22 am

Personally, at the pub I was in, the England fans were a bit less vocal with their cheers for about 5 seconds but were just relieved to go through, especially considering the big letdown vs. Algeria.

If you ask a number of England supporters, they want to face Germany in the round of 16. It's quite a rivalry for the English, you know. Then there are some England lads who are saying "oh crap" about facing Germany, considering the voodoo of losing to Germany since the 1966 World Cup win and the age-old stereotype that Germany don't lose in penalties. The majority of England fans are realistic to a fault about England's chances and so, they'll take big delight in beating Germany even if the World Cup ends in tears for them. If England happen to beat Germany, they'll probably face Argentina, which is another storied rivalry for England supporters.

EDIT: You're talking about Robert Green's howler. Ah, disappointment of course, but it's typical bad luck for England and the fans usually chalk it up to that.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:14 am

Nfl Fan wrote:
Metroid wrote:That goal by the US was incredible. I'm so pissed I had to leave for school literally 10 minutes before it happened. :-[

Ooooh. Ouch! :-P Catch it on the radio?

Nope I had to hear about it from a classmate in a later class. :-[

The Artful Dodger wrote:

Like I said on the Darkside, I caught both games at the pub, which had shown both US and England matches. When the full time whistle had blown for England and they clinched their way to the round of 16, Donovan scored the winner. Pretty much the crowded pub went mental with both US and England fans cheering, more so the US side obviously with the winning goal late. Surreal stuff.

Man that sounds like a blast. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Great draw for the USA. Ghana and then either Uruguay or South Korea (likely Uruguay) if we win. Obviously, no game is easy, but it could be a heck of a lot tougher than this

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:57 am

Soccer is full of wussies.

HD TV is great when a player flops and fakes like he is really hurt. Defender puts his foot in front of the ball and the offensive player immediately summersalts to the ground. Camera zooms in and you can see a guy who appears to be hurt badly (must have been the ground that did it given he was not touched) then one eye opens and looks towards the ref, closes again and its back to agony.

At least in Basketball when they flop they don't fake injury. The flopping in Soccer is ridiculous. My AYSO team I played on as a kid was tougher than these pansies.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby WaCougMBS » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:18 am

Can't wait for the game today! Too bad I'm going to have to miss the first half because I'm playing in a huge 3-on-3 basketball tournament in town today, but I'll surely be crashing a pub to see what I hope (and believe) will be a 2-1 win for the Stars and Stripes! ;-D
Av/sig by deluxe_247
WaCougMBS

Radio PimpEditorModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:19 am

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Soccer is full of wussies.

HD TV is great when a player flops and fakes like he is really hurt. Defender puts his foot in front of the ball and the offensive player immediately summersalts to the ground. Camera zooms in and you can see a guy who appears to be hurt badly (must have been the ground that did it given he was not touched) then one eye opens and looks towards the ref, closes again and its back to agony.

At least in Basketball when they flop they don't fake injury. The flopping in Soccer is ridiculous. My AYSO team I played on as a kid was tougher than these pansies.

Not our guys! ;-)

He also proposed stiff penalties/suspensions for 'floppers'.

Nevertheless... I CAN'T WAIT FOR TODAY'S GAME! And I've NEVER been a soccer fan. :-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:48 am

Nfl Fan wrote:
Cowboys 4 life wrote:Soccer is full of wussies.

Not our guys! ;-)

He also proposed stiff penalties/suspensions for 'floppers'.

Nevertheless... I CAN'T WAIT FOR TODAY'S GAME! And I've NEVER been a soccer fan. :-)

:-) After seeing the flopping throughout the cup, that was the article that encouraged me to post that. ;-D
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 87)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk