US World Cup - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

US World Cup

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: US World Cup

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:50 pm

We discussed flopping on the darkside pretty thoroughly. If you ask any of the soccer purists they'll tell you that flopping is part of the game. I say BS on that. It's part of the game because they've allowed it to become part of the game and have grown accustomed to it. The purists want to point to basketball as a comparison to point out that flopping happens in all sports. They're pretty much right. I don't agree with flopping in any sport, however the difference is that in soccer, where the scoring is already very low, a flop can impact the outcome of a game much more than in other sports.

At least it seems so to me.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:32 pm

Into extra time and not looking good for US. Don't fully understand the rules but there is apparently 2 15 min periods then if it is still tied it goes to penalty kicks. US is down 1-2 now.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:07 pm

And that does it for the US. Great showing by the States, nothing to be ashamed of. ;-D

I like how near the end that dude for Ghana went down near his own goal (after not even being touched) and just laid there while play went on around him. Then they bring the stretcher out, carry him off the field, and he just hops up like nothing happened....awesome. :-b
Metroid

Postby Dawinner127 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Metroid wrote:And that does it for the US. Great showing by the States, nothing to be ashamed of. ;-D

I like how near the end that dude for Ghana went down near his own goal (after not even being touched) and just laid there while play went on around him. Then they bring the stretcher out, carry him off the field, and he just hops up like nothing happened....awesome. :-b

Basically why I hate soccer. No one was near that player and they brought out a stretcher for him? Seriously?
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 71)

Postby portisfan24 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:26 pm

Tough luck today. After a slow start I thought the US looked much more dangerous. They just couldn't convert outside of the penalty. Oh well I look forward to some of the other round of 16 matches and the inevitable powerhouse matchups in the later rounds.

I've always thought the flopping and theatrics in soccer was total BS. Its one thing to go down when you feel contact to draw a free kick, but faking injury is just classless. If you think about it, every sport has players trying to draw fouls and whatnot, but soccer is the only one I can think of where the players fake injury. I wish it was out of the game because it looks so bush league to casual fans.

As for you Americans now slightly excited about soccer, try catching some MLS games. They don't have quite the quality which usually leads to more breakdowns on defense and more chances/goals. Plus, there is a lot less of the gamesmanship.
portisfan24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:44 pm

portisfan24 wrote:As for you Americans now slightly excited about soccer, try catching some MLS games.

More than likely, I'm done until the next World Cup... ;-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Metroid wrote:We discussed flopping on the darkside pretty thoroughly. If you ask any of the soccer purists they'll tell you that flopping is part of the game. I say BS on that. It's part of the game because they've allowed it to become part of the game and have grown accustomed to it. The purists want to point to basketball as a comparison to point out that flopping happens in all sports. They're pretty much right. I don't agree with flopping in any sport, however the difference is that in soccer, where the scoring is already very low, a flop can impact the outcome of a game much more than in other sports.

Problem is, the action happens quite quickly that it's difficult for a referee to call foul or to play on. What the referee can do is yellow card or warn a player that they've spotted a dive and they will penalize said player later. Certain players have a reputation for diving and with some referees, they know that reputation and could be cynical to call a foul in favor of that player.

Sadly, diving is part of the game, not because it's condoned though by football fans. Contrast this to about 20 years ago when players would suffer broken knees and legs on a terrible challenge, which didn't even provoke a yellow card, let alone a red card and a sending off. So, it's good that the referees protect players now but it also gets to the point where some players know they can be rewarded by fouls if they simply go to ground and do a sell. Some referees fall for it and some referees don't.

EDIT: As far as the impact of the outcome becoming more important because it's "low scoring", well, what about a charging/blocking call at a crucial time of a basketball game? What about a wide receiver that sells to get a penalty flag? Are those not game-changing moments either? I don't buy the "low scoring" bit, at all.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:38 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:We discussed flopping on the darkside pretty thoroughly. If you ask any of the soccer purists they'll tell you that flopping is part of the game. I say BS on that. It's part of the game because they've allowed it to become part of the game and have grown accustomed to it. The purists want to point to basketball as a comparison to point out that flopping happens in all sports. They're pretty much right. I don't agree with flopping in any sport, however the difference is that in soccer, where the scoring is already very low, a flop can impact the outcome of a game much more than in other sports.

Problem is, the action happens quite quickly that it's difficult for a referee to call foul or to play on. What the referee can do is yellow card or warn a player that they've spotted a dive and they will penalize said player later. Certain players have a reputation for diving and with some referees, they know that reputation and could be cynical to call a foul in favor of that player.

Sadly, diving is part of the game, not because it's condoned though by football fans. Contrast this to about 20 years ago when players would suffer broken knees and legs on a terrible challenge, which didn't even provoke a yellow card, let alone a red card and a sending off. So, it's good that the referees protect players now but it also gets to the point where some players know they can be rewarded by fouls if they simply go to ground and do a sell. Some referees fall for it and some referees don't.

EDIT: As far as the impact of the outcome becoming more important because it's "low scoring", well, what about a charging/blocking call at a crucial time of a basketball game? What about a wide receiver that sells to get a penalty flag? Are those not game-changing moments either? I don't buy the "low scoring" bit, at all.

That all makes sense I guess. And I like that the athletes are protected now. I just don't understand why suspensions, or other disciplinary action, levied against players for "flopping" wouldn't help curb it.
Metroid

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:

That all makes sense I guess. And I like that the athletes are protected now. I just don't understand why suspensions, or other disciplinary action, levied against players for "flopping" wouldn't help curb it.

In some cases, the league associations review red cards and fouls, and can hand out suspensions. There's an odd chance, they'll ban a diver for a game too.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:53 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:Soccer is full of wussies.

HD TV is great when a player flops and fakes like he is really hurt. Defender puts his foot in front of the ball and the offensive player immediately summersalts to the ground. Camera zooms in and you can see a guy who appears to be hurt badly (must have been the ground that did it given he was not touched) then one eye opens and looks towards the ref, closes again and its back to agony.

At least in Basketball when they flop they don't fake injury. The flopping in Soccer is ridiculous. My AYSO team I played on as a kid was tougher than these pansies.

Sometimes, those fouls actually do hurt. Try running at full speed and have someone take out your legs, worse yet with their boot studs up. That's bloody painful. When I played, I used to have hamstring and calf strains at the least on those tackles. Sure, players "flop" in some instances and play up the foul. Shoot, even your fellow Yanks, Clint Dempsey and Jozy Altidore even pulled out the theatrics. Slow-motion replays do make them seem less painful, but in certain cases, they do.

Oh, and don't belittle the game I love. Don't get me started on what I think about you Yanks' foolish anti-soccer sentiment.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk