Bernard Scott at the goal line? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Bernard Scott at the goal line?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bernard Scott at the goal line?

Postby 011472 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Scott is a guy who I'm really high on at the end of my roster. Obviously an injury to Benson or a return of Benson's suckiness gives Scott huge potential. Here's a message a buddy of mine sent me regarding the topic which gives me some concern:

Alright, did some digging here, 'cause I ain't doin' much work today. Went back to week 11 when Cincy was at Oakland and Bernard Scott started. Nice game, 21 carries for 119 yards. Without his 61 yard carry in the third quarter, he goes 20 carries for 58 yards here.

First drive of the game, Ochocinco catches a 10 yarder down to the one yard line. First and goal. Palmer SCRAMBLES it in for 1 yard for the TD. Just watched the highlight on NFL.com, Brian Leonard was in the backfield.

Second quarter now, in a drive which saw Scott carry for 7, 5, 10 and 9 yards, Leonard got the carries on 2nd and 1 from the 11, and 1st and goal from the 5. Then Palmer snuck it in on 2nd and goal from the 1. Again, Leonard in the backfield on the TD sneak.

Third quarter now, Scott got a carry on 1st and goal from the 8 yard line. Okay, but only a two yard gain. Bengals work down to the 3 yard line. Brian Leonard for -2. Now at the 5 yard line. Brian Leonard for 4. Third and goal from the 1? Palmer gets sacked. Highlight on NFL.com seems to show 2 RBs split in the backfield, one of 'em looks to be Scott. Palmer could have been looking for Scott out of the backfield on this play, but pass rush is immediately in Palmer's grill.

Week 12 versus Cleveland. Scott starts again, goes 18 carries for 87 yards.

On a second quarter drive where Scott carries for 21, 2, 3, 11, 5, and 2 yards, the Bengals get down to the 7. Larry Johnson got the carry for 3 yards down to the 4. Larry Johnson then with a catch for no gain. Third and goal, Palmer TD pass to Foschi. Didn't matter, Leonard was in the backfield.

Third quarter, Bengals get down to the 10, but this was Larry Johnson's drive. Scott handled the kickoff return, and LJ got all 7 rushing attempts.

I think this gives some insight on how the Bengals view Scott. Also don't forget that the minute Benson showed signs of injury, Cincy went and signed another Benson type in LJ.

This breakdown doesn't make me feel good about Scott's fantasy impact in '10.

So this is just a couple of games here, but in the case Benson is out of the picture, is there any reason to believe Scott would be watching Leonard at the goal line?
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Bernard Scott at the goal line?

Postby aaawall91 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:02 pm

Everything I read leads me to believe Cincy believes Scott is nothing more than a change of pace back, in the case Benson went down he would have an expanded role probably, but he still wouldn't be THE guy IMO.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Football Talk