1) this day
2) this week
3) this month

I'm pissed, and I'm about to start drinkin. :-C :-[
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3 things I hate...

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:30 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:1. Real Madrid
2. Liverpool
3a. Manchester City
3b. Italy

Who are you a fan of? I'm guessing Barca or Man U?

Both. O:-)

Born and raised a Barcelona supporter because of my father. As a kid, I spent time in England as well (my Dad's favorite brother lives there) and took a liking to the English game. In fact, whenever my father and I watched Barcelona games Stateside on CCTV, we would also catch the United matches. Dad also met former United legend George Best when Best played for the L.A. Aztecs and he opened a pub in the area I grew up in, which is also the pub I frequent now called The Underground, formerly known as Bestie's. I was about 10-11 when I fully adopted United as my second team, which was also the season United won their first English league title in 26 years (92-93). I'm one of the first glory hunters on the United bandwagon. :-b

United is my first team, to be honest. So, if on the rare chance they play Barca in the Champions League, I support United. I am a Barcelona member however, and get to vote in the club presidential elections. ;-D

Well, at least you didn't say you're a fan of Chelsea or Spurs. I'm a huge Arsenal fan, so I don't love Man U, but they frequently become the better of the two evils for me. As for Barca, I'm still a little peeved from watching Messi run all over us in the Champions League, although I won't hate them too badly if they don't wind up taking Fabregas from us.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:57 pm

scottaa1 wrote:1) this day
2) this week
3) this month

Dude, that's rough! :-*
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 pm

Nfl Fan wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:1) this day
2) this week
3) this month

Dude, that's rough! :-*

It's amazing what drinking beer for three hours has done for my mood ;-D
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:33 pm

1) Traffic
2) Cops Radaring
3) People complaining about things they hate :-b
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:24 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Who are you a fan of? I'm guessing Barca or Man U?

Both. O:-)

Born and raised a Barcelona supporter because of my father. As a kid, I spent time in England as well (my Dad's favorite brother lives there) and took a liking to the English game. In fact, whenever my father and I watched Barcelona games Stateside on CCTV, we would also catch the United matches. Dad also met former United legend George Best when Best played for the L.A. Aztecs and he opened a pub in the area I grew up in, which is also the pub I frequent now called The Underground, formerly known as Bestie's. I was about 10-11 when I fully adopted United as my second team, which was also the season United won their first English league title in 26 years (92-93). I'm one of the first glory hunters on the United bandwagon. :-b

United is my first team, to be honest. So, if on the rare chance they play Barca in the Champions League, I support United. I am a Barcelona member however, and get to vote in the club presidential elections. ;-D

Well, at least you didn't say you're a fan of Chelsea or Spurs. I'm a huge Arsenal fan, so I don't love Man U, but they frequently become the better of the two evils for me. As for Barca, I'm still a little peeved from watching Messi run all over us in the Champions League, although I won't hate them too badly if they don't wind up taking Fabregas from us.

I hated Arsenal most from around '98 until about '05 and I believe most United fans would agree. The title races in those years between the two were so close and the games were not only intense, but most of them were high quality and of epic proportions. My favorite United moments were the away win at Highbury in the 02/03 season in which United were counted out early in the title race, the Roy Keane/Patrick Vieira tunnel incident match in '05, and United ending Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten streak. Of course, no United-Arsenal moment is complete with what I call, the greatest game that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing: the '99 FA Cup semifinal replay. Who can forget "the battle of Old Trafford" in '03, back when Martin Keown taunted Ruud van Nistelrooy for a terribly taken penalty. I really couldn't stand Arsenal in those days. In my opinion, the rivalry has fizzled out the last five years or so, just as the relationship between Sir Alex and Wenger has cooled down considerably from that time. Of course, Chelsea buying titles and playing a dull, negative game to win those titles, diminished that rivalry some.

Arsenal aren't quite in that class of Barcelona yet. They play the same exact kind of soccer, but a little less refined, somewhat due to their youth. They put quite a scare when Arsenal went up 3-2 on aggregate at Camp Nou, but Messi was top draw as he's been these last couple of years.

Fabregas is a Barcelona boy and also came up in the Barcelona academy (La Masia) until Arsene Wenger signed him at 16 years old. Cesc was a deep-lying midfielder and there wasn't much certainty as to how he would be played and hence, why he agreed to Arsenal. I think he's sincere about wanting to stay at Arsenal, but I'd also say this could be the season he goes back to Barcelona. He's always wanted to fill in the boots of Pep Guardiola, who was a bit of a legendary midfielder for the Barcelona "Dream Team" of the early-mid 90's and he favors wanting to be managed by Guardiola as well. Wenger will be reluctant to let go of Fabregas and the rumor is if Fabregas is sold to Barcelona for a handsome sum, Arsenal will be in the running for Mesut Ozil in Fab's place. They might get outbid by Real Madrid, Chelsea, or Manchester City though for Ozil, which makes clinging to Fabregas all the more important. However, I'd say Barca are determined to pay top money for Cesc that Arsenal can't really refuse.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:46 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Both. O:-)

I hated Arsenal most from around '98 until about '05 and I believe most United fans would agree. The title races in those years between the two were so close and the games were not only intense, but most of them were high quality and of epic proportions. My favorite United moments were the away win at Highbury in the 02/03 season in which United were counted out early in the title race, the Roy Keane/Patrick Vieira tunnel incident match in '05, and United ending Arsenal's 49 game unbeaten streak. Of course, no United-Arsenal moment is complete with what I call, the greatest game that I've ever had the pleasure of seeing: the '99 FA Cup semifinal replay. Who can forget "the battle of Old Trafford" in '03, back when Martin Keown taunted Ruud van Nistelrooy for a terribly taken penalty. I really couldn't stand Arsenal in those days. In my opinion, the rivalry has fizzled out the last five years or so, just as the relationship between Sir Alex and Wenger has cooled down considerably from that time. Of course, Chelsea buying titles and playing a dull, negative game to win those titles, diminished that rivalry some.

Arsenal aren't quite in that class of Barcelona yet. They play the same exact kind of soccer, but a little less refined, somewhat due to their youth. They put quite a scare when Arsenal went up 3-2 on aggregate at Camp Nou, but Messi was top draw as he's been these last couple of years.

Fabregas is a Barcelona boy and also came up in the Barcelona academy (La Masia) until Arsene Wenger signed him at 16 years old. Cesc was a deep-lying midfielder and there wasn't much certainty as to how he would be played and hence, why he agreed to Arsenal. I think he's sincere about wanting to stay at Arsenal, but I'd also say this could be the season he goes back to Barcelona. He's always wanted to fill in the boots of Pep Guardiola, who was a bit of a legendary midfielder for the Barcelona "Dream Team" of the early-mid 90's and he favors wanting to be managed by Guardiola as well. Wenger will be reluctant to let go of Fabregas and the rumor is if Fabregas is sold to Barcelona for a handsome sum, Arsenal will be in the running for Mesut Ozil in Fab's place. They might get outbid by Real Madrid, Chelsea, or Manchester City though for Ozil, which makes clinging to Fabregas all the more important. However, I'd say Barca are determined to pay top money for Cesc that Arsenal can't really refuse.

I'm not saying Arsenal are in the same class as Barca, although that won't change my loyalty to them. Honestly, the fact that I now root decisively for Man U whenever they play Chelsea gos to show that there really isn't a whole lot to the Arsenal/Man U rivalry.

Fabregas really is an interesting situation, and to be honest, this is one of the times in which I really don't like the nature of soccer today. Why is it that just because Barca can throw tons of money around they can likely bully Arsenal into giving away their captain and best player? That said, why does Barca really want Fabregas? Would he even play that much? I mean, crazy as it is, their roster is pretty similar to that of Spain, on which Fab doesn't even really play a whole lot.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:25 pm

1. Hangovers
2. Not having the makings for Bloody Marys.
3. People discussing soccer in this thread when there is clearly a thread devoted to soccer in this forum already.

:-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:00 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Fabregas really is an interesting situation, and to be honest, this is one of the times in which I really don't like the nature of soccer today. Why is it that just because Barca can throw tons of money around they can likely bully Arsenal into giving away their captain and best player? That said, why does Barca really want Fabregas? Would he even play that much? I mean, crazy as it is, their roster is pretty similar to that of Spain, on which Fab doesn't even really play a whole lot.

Well, Fabregas' intent of wanting to come back to Barcelona, sooner or later, is sort of why Barca are pushing hard to have him back. Barcelona are not very good in making decisions in the transfer market, especially in times when the likes of Real Madrid, Chelsea, and now Manchester City inflate the market. Barca had seen the likes of Marc Overmars and Javier Saviola bust here and more recently, Zlatan Ibrahimovic hasn't panned out at Barca. The irony is, Barca could have had David Villa a season earlier (Valencia weren't ready to sell Villa despite their debt) and are paying the same fairly steep price for Villa... all because Ibra didn't fit in the system. I've ranted about the Ibrahimovic transfer for much of last Summer, let alone to shell out 42m Euros AND send Samuel Eto'o to Inter, but I digress. The fact that Cesc is still relatively young and is accustomed to the Barca style of play is a big factor why Barca want to make an offer they can't refuse to have Cesc back.

You're right, Barcelona's starting XI is a lot like Spain's because it practically is. The style of football is similar, really. The big difference is Fabregas will likely have a starting role with Barca. Vicente Del Bosque doesn't start Fabregas on the Spanish national team side because he prefers to have two deep-lying midfielders playing in front of Sergio Busquets in the destroyer role. Xavi and Xabi Alonso are somewhat similar to each other, in that they both read the game well and are vital to the distribution/retention of the ball. To me, it's almost unnecessary why Del Bosque has two mids who are practically the same. Instead, Del Bosque could pair Andres Iniesta and Xavi in the midfield and play Fabregas out on the wing.

If Fabregas comes back to Barca, this will likely mean that Pedro is relegated to the bench. A bit of a shame for Pedro because he had a breakthrough year, starting in the role Henry was played in the year prior. He provides width and goals from the left. Seydou Keita would be rotated methinks as well.

So, I see something like this:

----------------David Villa--------------------

-----Iniesta-------Messi---------Fabregas--

-----------Busquets--------Xavi--------------

Fabregas can interchange with Messi, playing in the hole behind Villa while Messi breaks down the right. Cesc can also play as a deep lying central midfielder in the Xavi role.

Another thing is, there are doubts that Iniesta can last a season relatively unscathed. In the Treble year of 08/09, he did, but it's a big ask for him to stay healthy for a full year and this past season, he missed a good chunk of games. Having another retention midfielder for the opposition to chase around is key in the Barca attack. Easily, I can see Pedro/Keita playing their way into the lineup as well.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Metroid wrote:1. Hangovers
2. Not having the makings for Bloody Marys.
3. People discussing soccer in this thread when there is clearly a thread devoted to soccer in this forum already.

:-D

Haven't seen hammy in awhile... }:-)
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk