Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 3 things I hate...

Postby Munboy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:04 pm

portisfan24 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:
portisfan24 wrote:1. Violent protestors who cover their faces. Real brave.

...and protesters who think it's okay to destroy private property (like stores, who usually have nothing whatsoever to do with what the protest is about). And protesters who think it's okay to throw bottles, rocks, molotov's, etc and also assault the police, but who raise hell if the police lay a finger on them because it's a violation of their civil rights.

Definately! I should have elaborated. I remember seeing footage of some Olympic protestors being arrested and this guy was screaming "Police brutality" at the top of the lungs when they were treating him like an expensive vase. If it were me I'd bust out the tasers and non-lethal guns at the first sign of violence. Police shouldn't have to deal with that crap.

I wish I had the link to a video from ...canada I believe. I'm usually not one to buy into conspiracy theories, but this one was compelling. There was a peaceful demonstration going on when these masked men turned up and tried to stir up violence. The organizer of the protest tried to stop them, and then sniffed them out as cops and when he called them out, you could see a change in their body language. They became very hesitant. The video talks about how it's done world wide, authorities will go in undercover to stir up violence so they have a reason to end the protests. The webpage also included photos of the incident where the violent protesters were wearing some of the exact same clothing as the police there to make sure the protest didn't turn violent.

Like I said, i don't usually buy into conspiracy theories, but it did make me go "hmmmm" If I come across the link, I'll post it.

EDIT: After some searching, the Quebec police admitted it. But they claim they were there to "sniff out violent protesters"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfzUOx53Rg
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:45 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:OK, I cannot possibly let this go. Soccer is the closest thing to a universal sport <snip>
What you just said smacks of ignorance, IMO.

Sorry, I stopped reading after the "universal sport" comment which all soccer fans always fall back on as some kind of reason why I am supposed to care... It's a "universal" sport because it can be played as long as you have two things - space and something ball-shaped - and while it's great that a bunch of poor countries have a "sport" they can play without having to buy a bunch of expensive equipment it doesn't make it any more interesting to watch.

All that aside, let's address my real problems with the World Cup:

1 - Diving. If I want to watch that much diving I will tune in to the summer Olympics - that comes around every 4 years too, and it's pretty darn "universal" if you ask me.

2 - Lack of action. When a game has less than 10 shots on goal (a goal bigger than the size of the average house in most countries the sport is popular in) in 90 minutes + of play, it's pretty dull IMO.

3 - Draws and Goal Differential and other tie-breaker stuff. Why not play the game like every other sport out there and play until one side or the other wins? Oh yeah, because scoring is so bloody rare in this stupid game that it might take a day or two for some of these teams to break a draw.

4 - Diving. Oh yeah, I covered that already. Still bugs the bejeezus out of me.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:16 am

lmcjaho wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:OK, I cannot possibly let this go. Soccer is the closest thing to a universal sport <snip>
What you just said smacks of ignorance, IMO.

Sorry, I stopped reading after the "universal sport" comment which all soccer fans always fall back on as some kind of reason why I am supposed to care... It's a "universal" sport because it can be played as long as you have two things - space and something ball-shaped - and while it's great that a bunch of poor countries have a "sport" they can play without having to buy a bunch of expensive equipment it doesn't make it any more interesting to watch.

All that aside, let's address my real problems with the World Cup:

1 - Diving. If I want to watch that much diving I will tune in to the summer Olympics - that comes around every 4 years too, and it's pretty darn "universal" if you ask me.

2 - Lack of action. When a game has less than 10 shots on goal (a goal bigger than the size of the average house in most countries the sport is popular in) in 90 minutes + of play, it's pretty dull IMO.

3 - Draws and Goal Differential and other tie-breaker stuff. Why not play the game like every other sport out there and play until one side or the other wins? Oh yeah, because scoring is so bloody rare in this stupid game that it might take a day or two for some of these teams to break a draw.

4 - Diving. Oh yeah, I covered that already. Still bugs the bejeezus out of me.

1. Diving- Diving is really just a way of trying to get a call, and in one form or another, people try to get calls in every sport. Sure, it's not overly ethical, but neither is trying to rush up to the line of scrimmage to avoid a challenge when you know a bad call went in your favor.

2. Lack of action- I really don't like bringing up a shots on goal count as a reason that there is a lack of action. A lot of action goes in in the middle of the field, without shots taking place. That's like saying football only has action in the red zone, and that its boring to watch a player catch a screen pass at midfield and run for 20 yards.

3. Tiebreakers- You are a football fan, and you are complaining about the tie breaker in a different sport? At least they don't flip a coin to determine which team gets a huge advantage to win important games.

4. See point 1

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby lmcjaho » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:27 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:1. Diving- Diving is really just a way of trying to get a call, and in one form or another, people try to get calls in every sport. Sure, it's not overly ethical, but neither is trying to rush up to the line of scrimmage to avoid a challenge when you know a bad call went in your favor.

2. Lack of action- I really don't like bringing up a shots on goal count as a reason that there is a lack of action. A lot of action goes in in the middle of the field, without shots taking place. That's like saying football only has action in the red zone, and that its boring to watch a player catch a screen pass at midfield and run for 20 yards.

3. Tiebreakers- You are a football fan, and you are complaining about the tie breaker in a different sport? At least they don't flip a coin to determine which team gets a huge advantage to win important games.

4. See point 1

1 & 4 - Sorry Flesh, not buying it. Trying to get a call and ridiculously over-exaggerating contact are two different things. I would be just as disgusted with NFL football if receivers were to continuously throw themselves to the ground clutching various body-parts at the least sign of contact and the refs actually rewarded them for that behavior like they do in soccer.

2 - Nope. Not buying it. A couple of guys kicking the ball back and forth for twenty minutes, occasionally being interrupted by a B-movie acting job "injury" does not equate to action, and you can't make me believe it does just by saying so.

3 - The old coin flip argument? Really? C'mon Flesh, at least try! Flipping a coin only determines who starts with the chance to win - a team actually has to score to win. At least most of the time someone DOES win, which was my point above. It's totally ridiculous that a team can be as ecstatic as so many of them were in the group stages with a Draw IMO, especially since it seems like every second game is a draw anyway.
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:31 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:1. Diving- Diving is really just a way of trying to get a call, and in one form or another, people try to get calls in every sport. Sure, it's not overly ethical, but neither is trying to rush up to the line of scrimmage to avoid a challenge when you know a bad call went in your favor.

4. See point 1

1 & 4 - Sorry Flesh, not buying it. Trying to get a call and ridiculously over-exaggerating contact are two different things. I would be just as disgusted with NFL football if receivers were to continuously throw themselves to the ground clutching various body-parts at the least sign of contact and the refs actually rewarded them for that behavior like they do in soccer.

2 - Nope. Not buying it. A couple of guys kicking the ball back and forth for twenty minutes, occasionally being interrupted by a B-movie acting job "injury" does not equate to action, and you can't make me believe it does just by saying so.

3 - The old coin flip argument? Really? C'mon Flesh, at least try! Flipping a coin only determines who starts with the chance to win - a team actually has to score to win. At least most of the time someone DOES win, which was my point above. It's totally ridiculous that a team can be as ecstatic as so many of them were in the group stages with a Draw IMO, especially since it seems like every second game is a draw anyway.

The diving argument is a tough one to make, but I do believe that there's a level of dishonesty in every sport, and diving just happens to be that factor in soccer.

As for #2, I feel like that's just personal preference. I enjoy watching the game in the middle of the field. It's an intricate buildup and requires a lot of strategy. Since you're not a soccer fan, it's not a surprise that you get bored by it, but I really don't think it's boring.

As for tiebreaks, I prefer soccer's way of doing it. I hate the NFL's OT system. I think it's awful. Do I like draws? No, not at all. Do I think it's better than sudden death with possession decided by a coin flip? Absolutely I do. That said, I would take soccer's way of doing things in the knockout stage over either of those. Two 15 minute periods of extra time. Each team starts with possession in one of them. No sudden death.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:08 am

1. People who look down their snooty Eurotrash noses because you don't like their sport of choice.
2. Threads that get hijacked because people can't stand that you don't like their sport of choice.
3. The expectation that I should like certain sports anytime outside of every 4 years when they get mildly interesting.

;-7 :-b
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 pm

<rant on>

1- Getting a guy to shove $300 on the turn when I have him dominated only to have him hit his 3-outer on the river and shipping my $600+ pot to him (Texas Hold'Em poker live) (my AQ against his KQ on a Q-10-4-Q board - K on river)

2 - When the same guy jumps up and down in his seat while stacking my chips as I seethe beside him

3 - When my buddy tries to make me feel better by pointing out that I'm "only down $60" since 80% of my loss in the hand came from what was previously profit - I don't %$&ing care! I should have been up 5 C-notes!

</rant off>
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:35 pm

lmcjaho wrote:<rant on>

1- Getting a guy to shove $300 on the turn when I have him dominated only to have him hit his 3-outer on the river and shipping my $600+ pot to him (Texas Hold'Em poker live) (my AQ against his KQ on a Q-10-4-Q board - K on river)

2 - When the same guy jumps up and down in his seat while stacking my chips as I seethe beside him

3 - When my buddy tries to make me feel better by pointing out that I'm "only down $60" since 80% of my loss in the hand came from what was previously profit - I don't %$&ing care! I should have been up 5 C-notes!

</rant off>

I'm a big poker player and yes, all those things piss me off insanely. 2 and 3 are even worse than the others, since I can usually convince myself that luck comes around and goes around. Also, literally just as I read that, someone hit a K on the river to beat me in an all in hand...

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk