3 things I hate... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

3 things I hate...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3 things I hate...

Postby lmcjaho » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:58 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm a big poker player and yes, all those things piss me off insanely. 2 and 3 are even worse than the others, since I can usually convince myself that luck comes around and goes around. Also, literally just as I read that, someone hit a K on the river to beat me in an all in hand...

His celebration was actually a bit sedate compared to some of the ones I have been witness to at this particular poker room. He just kinda jumped and went "Wow, a full house" (in french) when the king hit. Sick part was I was still counting my call out when the dealer flipped the river so the only reason I knew I was losing was his little dance in the seat. %-6
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:36 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm a big poker player and yes, all those things piss me off insanely. 2 and 3 are even worse than the others, since I can usually convince myself that luck comes around and goes around. Also, literally just as I read that, someone hit a K on the river to beat me in an all in hand...

His celebration was actually a bit sedate compared to some of the ones I have been witness to at this particular poker room. He just kinda jumped and went "Wow, a full house" (in french) when the king hit. Sick part was I was still counting my call out when the dealer flipped the river so the only reason I knew I was losing was his little dance in the seat. %-6

That's bruta. The stakes you play for (at least based on that hand) are a bit higher than mine (after all, I'm a broke college kid), so I've never lost a hand quite that big, but I definitely know the feeling. Honestly, I would much rather lose a hand because I played it badly than because of luck. If I misplay a hand, I can learn from it and use the info to beat the guy next time I'm in a hand with him, but getting unlucky just leaves a really annoying hopeless feeling.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:49 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
This is the football forum, right?

Yup, not soccer. :-D

Rename this cafe the "Fantasy American Football Cafe" then. ;-)

I just have to revisit this. I think it's kinda funny that our brothers across the pond like to bash us for calling "the most popular sport in the world" soccer. Like us Americans are responsible for the term "soccer" and renamed the sport. I hate to break it to all you "football" purists but the word soccer originated in England and happens to be a synonym for football. In fact the term soccer has been used to describe the sport for as long as the term football has. If you wanna be condescending and snooty about how we Yanks hijacked the term football you might wanna look in the mirror, I'm pretty sure rugby football came first. :-D

And before you ask, yes I just read an article about the origins of the term soccer. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:08 pm

Metroid wrote:
And before you ask, yes I just read an article about the origins of the term soccer. :-B

Actually, I'm an etymologist, and the word soccer actually comes from the root succor meaning 'to suck.'
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:46 am

lmcjaho wrote:<rant on>

1- Getting a guy to shove $300 on the turn when I have him dominated only to have him hit his 3-outer on the river and shipping my $600+ pot to him (Texas Hold'Em poker live) (my AQ against his KQ on a Q-10-4-Q board - K on river)

2 - When the same guy jumps up and down in his seat while stacking my chips as I seethe beside him

3 - When my buddy tries to make me feel better by pointing out that I'm "only down $60" since 80% of my loss in the hand came from what was previously profit - I don't %$&ing care! I should have been up 5 C-notes!

</rant off>

ouch...i have a bad habit in live games of telling people "nice hand" after i took down a big heads up pot. one of my buddies told me i should only say that when i lose
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Metroid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:28 am

scottaa1 wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Actually, I'm an etymologist, and the word soccer actually comes from the root succor meaning 'to suck.'

:-b
Metroid

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:33 am

3 Things I hate...about TV/movies:

1) i When someone wants to knock someone out, it always only takes one hit.
2) In a foot chase, the person being chased always falls down.
3) When the bad guy is killed near the end, he miraculously comes back to life 2 minutes later for one last chance to kill the good guy.

!+) %-6
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby m16a » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:25 am

stomperrob wrote:3 Things I hate...about TV/movies:

1) i When someone wants to knock someone out, it always only takes one hit.
2) In a foot chase, the person being chased always falls down.
3) When the bad guy is killed near the end, he miraculously comes back to life 2 minutes later for one last chance to kill the good guy.

!+) %-6

4) When the guns have limitless ammo on full auto
5) when anyone racks their weapon right before shooting someone (you ^*%*&%(&^ it's already supposed to have a round chambered!!!!!)
6) When police or anyone hold the pistol in their hands pointing the barrel towards the ceiling. THAT ISN'T HOW YOU SAFELY HOLD A GUN!!
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:58 am

I always laugh when someone pulls their gun out before a gunfight and pops the clip out to make sure it's loaded. Like you really wouldn't know your gun is loaded. :-b
Metroid

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:08 pm

...when someone shoots Superman, he stands invincible and lets the bullets bounce off his chest, but when the gun is empty and they throw it at him, he ducks??? :-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk