3 things I hate... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

3 things I hate...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3 things I hate...

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Metroid wrote:1. Hangovers
2. Not having the makings for Bloody Marys.
3. People discussing soccer in this thread when there is clearly a thread devoted to soccer in this forum already.

:-D

Because 2 cures, 1 right?

How did I miss this thread?!?!? :-b

Love the Stop sign! Too funny.
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:44 pm

1. Haters
2. Me, Met, and Scott not having our Green masks anymore
3. Lists
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:51 pm

lmcjaho wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:OK, I cannot possibly let this go. Soccer is the closest thing to a universal sport <snip>
What you just said smacks of ignorance, IMO.

Sorry, I stopped reading after the "universal sport" comment which all soccer fans always fall back on as some kind of reason why I am supposed to care... It's a "universal" sport because it can be played as long as you have two things - space and something ball-shaped - and while it's great that a bunch of poor countries have a "sport" they can play without having to buy a bunch of expensive equipment it doesn't make it any more interesting to watch.

All that aside, let's address my real problems with the World Cup:

1 - Diving. If I want to watch that much diving I will tune in to the summer Olympics - that comes around every 4 years too, and it's pretty darn "universal" if you ask me.

2 - Lack of action. When a game has less than 10 shots on goal (a goal bigger than the size of the average house in most countries the sport is popular in) in 90 minutes + of play, it's pretty dull IMO.

3 - Draws and Goal Differential and other tie-breaker stuff. Why not play the game like every other sport out there and play until one side or the other wins? Oh yeah, because scoring is so bloody rare in this stupid game that it might take a day or two for some of these teams to break a draw.

4 - Diving. Oh yeah, I covered that already. Still bugs the bejeezus out of me.

The Army has given me the opportunity to live in many 3rd world countries and visit many, many more. So, while I agree that some of lmcjaho's quotes smack of cultural ignorance and maybe intolerance, there's no doubt about it. This is just doggone funny:

lmcjaho wrote: 1 - Diving. If I want to watch that much diving I will tune in to the summer Olympics - that comes around every 4 years too, and it's pretty darn "universal" if you ask me.

and this is hysterical:
lmcjaho wrote:2 - Lack of action. When a game has less than 10 shots on goal (a goal bigger than the size of the average house in most countries the sport is popular in) in 90 minutes + of play, it's pretty dull IMO.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:08 pm

Metroid wrote:
jake_twothousandfive wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
It doesn't? :-?

Don't force me to take you off my cool kid list.

Give the kid a break, he's been listening to 3rd Bass.

Met that was real def man, but I gotta get serious now. Scottaa1 gets the Gas Face
Was that Gilbert Godfrey?
Old school rap conversations are the best.
I wonder what MC Search and Pete Nice are doing these days?
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:13 pm

lmcjaho wrote:Sorry, I stopped reading after the "universal sport" comment which all soccer fans always fall back on as some kind of reason why I am supposed to care... It's a "universal" sport because it can be played as long as you have two things - space and something ball-shaped - and while it's great that a bunch of poor countries have a "sport" they can play without having to buy a bunch of expensive equipment it doesn't make it any more interesting to watch.

For the record, I wasn't trying to convince you that soccer isn't more interesting to watch, nor why you should care about the game. I meant that calling the game as a "third-world" sport is an inaccurate and an egregious statement to make. Like I said, the popularity of the sport doesn't come from the perception that it's a "poor man's game", but rather one that was imported by immigrants into said nations. Just like cricket, rugby, and basketball were imported sports, but in some of those countries, soccer has deeper roots and not necessarily out of a matter of economics. Cricket, for example, is a game that's wrongly dubbed a "rich man's game" because of the equipment involved and yet, the sport is popular in developing nations like India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh. First world nations in Europe, Asia, and yes, even the Americas still play the game of soccer and is still quite popular, not just because it's the game that has the least amount of equipment and expense required.

lmcjaho wrote:All that aside, let's address my real problems with the World Cup:

1 - Diving. If I want to watch that much diving I will tune in to the summer Olympics - that comes around every 4 years too, and it's pretty darn "universal" if you ask me.

2 - Lack of action. When a game has less than 10 shots on goal (a goal bigger than the size of the average house in most countries the sport is popular in) in 90 minutes + of play, it's pretty dull IMO.

3 - Draws and Goal Differential and other tie-breaker stuff. Why not play the game like every other sport out there and play until one side or the other wins? Oh yeah, because scoring is so bloody rare in this stupid game that it might take a day or two for some of these teams to break a draw.

4 - Diving. Oh yeah, I covered that already. Still bugs the bejeezus out of me.

1. and 4. Unfortunately, diving is a quirk of the game. Oh, it bugs a die-hard soccer fan like myself, but to me, it's counterproductive to rant about those things consistently. There was a time when poor tackles with the boot studs up wasn't even yellow carded and the game was made ugly for that as well (from the 60's to the early 1990's). The game was once more violent than most folks realize now and the good thing is the referees do make it a point to protect players from bad challenges. So, looking back on it, diving while a bad thing, isn't the worst thing that soccer has had to deal with (and they even yellow card diving).

Another thing, I find that most non-soccer folk nor casual fans know what a dive looks like. A dive is when a player that goes to ground when no contact is made, in the knowledge that he can get a foul or penalty in his favor. Thing is, it's very difficult to spot at normal speed and the instant replays make it a lot worse than it really is. Sometimes, a player is trying to avoid injury if he knows he's going to get a nasty tackle from his marker (the player coming over to defend). Often times during the World Cup, I saw the non-soccer fans yelling "FLOP" when there was no blatant flop and that just gives me a facepalm each time.

3. Draws only count in group stage games. Unfortunately over the last dozen years, teams with no chance of beating the opposition on their own merit will just "park the bus" or deploy all players in their own half to defend. Obviously, they want to gut out a draw. Personally, I'd like to see each team play 6 games in the group to get rid of the incentive of teams parking the bus, but in today's game where players play 9-10 month calendar years, I wouldn't want to see it come into fruition.

2. Lack of action... Unfortunately, the World Cup is NOT the best representation of the game... and unfortunately, that's the only time soccer hits into the mainstream consciousness in North America (not counting Latin America in this case). The really good football, the beautiful game is really shown best at the club level (the Premier League, La Liga, Bundesliga, etc.). The games tend to be better-paced and you'll see more chances. Furthermore, the players are in their best roles and are more comfortable playing on a team they feature in, 9-10 months a year. And guess what? A lot less diving in the club game than at the World Cup.

Personally, I'm not trying to convince anyone to like soccer. However, I don't understand why soccer-hating folks can't go a day without belittling folks who think the game is more than a religion, like myself, or even those who have more than a casual interest in the game. At every chance anyone gets of me or anyone else of saying just the word, "soccer", they have to go about saying "soccer sucks" or "soccer is for sissies" and what have you. I understand the dislike of the game, I don't get why folks feel entitled to repeat that 1000x over. It's absolutely stupid.

On that note, that's my problem with American culture in general. You lot say you tolerate people being free to do what they believe in and yet somehow you can't accept people for being different.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:22 pm

Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:Yup, not soccer. :-D

Rename this cafe the "Fantasy American Football Cafe" then. ;-)

I just have to revisit this. I think it's kinda funny that our brothers across the pond like to bash us for calling "the most popular sport in the world" soccer. Like us Americans are responsible for the term "soccer" and renamed the sport. I hate to break it to all you "football" purists but the word soccer originated in England and happens to be a synonym for football. In fact the term soccer has been used to describe the sport for as long as the term football has. If you wanna be condescending and snooty about how we Yanks hijacked the term football you might wanna look in the mirror, I'm pretty sure rugby football came first. :-D

And before you ask, yes I just read an article about the origins of the term soccer. :-B

That's just me fooling around, sunshine. :-b

I'm aware soccer is an English term, short for "association football". The formal name for rugby is rugby football but it's just often shortened as rugby, or by the two styles of the game: rugby league and rugby union.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't being condescending about the Yanks' usage of the word "soccer". To me, it sounds more pleasing to the ear when calling the game "football" rather than "soccer". "Soccer" sounds quite harsh and rugged. :-b I don't have a problem calling it soccer or anyone else referring to it as such. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:58 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote: ...On that note, that's my problem with American culture in general. You lot say you tolerate people being free to do what they believe in and yet somehow you can't accept people for being different.

Tolerance is way different than acceptance.

Which is also way different than embracing.

And diving isn't the problem. It's laying on the ground for 3 minutes writhing in agony, then getting up and playing like you were never hurt in the first place.

With that said, I do enjoy watching soccer from time to time and don't typically criticize the hobby.
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:08 pm

1) Going into a bank after hours to use the ATM machine, and there's one person using the machine and the next person is standing 20 feet back from him so that you have to stand just barely inside the door and blocking anyone else from coming in.

2) Waiting behind a senior to buy my weekly lottery ticket - why does it always seem like they're cashing in every ticket they've purchased in the last 10 years??? And then they want one each of the dozens and dozens of different tickets available.

3) Waiting behind a senior to pick up my prescriptions - why do they have to discuss every ailment they've suffered since they were 3 years old??? And then ask 100 questions about the medication they're getting today that even the scientists in the R&D dept of the drug company couldn't answer!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby joejlitz » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:18 pm

stomperrob wrote:
2) Waiting behind a senior to buy my weekly lottery ticket - why does it always seem like they're cashing in every ticket they've purchased in the last 10 years??? And then they want one each of the dozens and dozens of different tickets available.

3) Waiting behind a senior to pick up my prescriptions - why do they have to discuss every ailment they've suffered since they were 3 years old??? And then ask 100 questions about the medication they're getting today that even the scientists in the R&D dept of the drug company couldn't answer!

If you don't get Alzheimer's first, ask yourself these same questions when you get to be their age. ;-) :-D
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby stomperrob » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:27 pm

joejlitz wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

If you don't get Alzheimer's first, ask yourself these same questions when you get to be their age. ;-) :-D

If I make it to that age, the only people I wanna annoy are my kids - I just wanna pay them back for all the grief they caused me, lol! ;-) :-b

And I figure I'm closer to being a senior than anyone else at the Cafe, so I'll get my jabs in when I can and then you guys can poke fun at me in a few years!!!
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk