3 things I hate... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

3 things I hate...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 3 things I hate...

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:24 pm

joejlitz wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: ...On that note, that's my problem with American culture in general. You lot say you tolerate people being free to do what they believe in and yet somehow you can't accept people for being different.

Tolerance is way different than acceptance.

Which is also way different than embracing.

And diving isn't the problem. It's laying on the ground for 3 minutes writhing in agony, then getting up and playing like you were never hurt in the first place.

With that said, I do enjoy watching soccer from time to time and don't typically criticize the hobby.

Yeah, some players are theatrical about going to ground, but in a number of cases, they're not exaggerating. For example, getting your foot or your shin stepped on by a studded boot at full speed hurts like a bugger. Assuming no further damage, the pain does subside after a few minutes. Remember some of these guys don't wear shin or foot protection pads. :-b

I guess my gripe is people who bash a sport to death, especially when it's a sport they don't necessarily understand to the full. I expect most folks on this side of the water don't like soccer and that's OK. To hear that bias over and over again is needless. Just stick to the sports you like and ignore the sports you dislike (while respecting that there's a reason the sports you dislike are well supported), simple as.

...and soccer is not a hobby, it's more than a religion to some. ;-D
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:53 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:
joejlitz wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote: ...On that note, that's my problem with American culture in general. You lot say you tolerate people being free to do what they believe in and yet somehow you can't accept people for being different.

Tolerance is way different than acceptance.

Which is also way different than embracing.

And diving isn't the problem. It's laying on the ground for 3 minutes writhing in agony, then getting up and playing like you were never hurt in the first place.

With that said, I do enjoy watching soccer from time to time and don't typically criticize the hobby.

Yeah, some players are theatrical about going to ground, but in a number of cases, they're not exaggerating. For example, getting your foot or your shin stepped on by a studded boot at full speed hurts like a bugger. Assuming no further damage, the pain does subside after a few minutes. Remember some of these guys don't wear shin or foot protection pads. :-b

I guess my gripe is people who bash a sport to death, especially when it's a sport they don't necessarily understand to the full. I expect most folks on this side of the water don't like soccer and that's OK. To hear that bias over and over again is needless. Just stick to the sports you like and ignore the sports you dislike (while respecting that there's a reason the sports you dislike are well supported), simple as.

A lot of people on this side of the Atlantic are turned off by the violence and hooligans, which you don't see in the NFL - well, unless you go to an Eagles home game! ;-) :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby joejlitz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:03 am

The Artful Dodger wrote:

:-D
That was my little intentional jab.

stomperrob wrote:A lot of people on this side of the Atlantic are turned off by the violence and hooligans, which you don't see in the NFL - well, unless you go to an Eagles home game! ;-) :-b

And there's a right cross to the temple. !+)
"There is no charge for awesomeness or attractiveness." - Po (Kung Fu Panda)
joejlitz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby Metroid » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:18 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
Metroid wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Rename this cafe the "Fantasy American Football Cafe" then. ;-)

I just have to revisit this. I think it's kinda funny that our brothers across the pond like to bash us for calling "the most popular sport in the world" soccer. Like us Americans are responsible for the term "soccer" and renamed the sport. I hate to break it to all you "football" purists but the word soccer originated in England and happens to be a synonym for football. In fact the term soccer has been used to describe the sport for as long as the term football has. If you wanna be condescending and snooty about how we Yanks hijacked the term football you might wanna look in the mirror, I'm pretty sure rugby football came first. :-D

And before you ask, yes I just read an article about the origins of the term soccer. :-B

That's just me fooling around, sunshine. :-b

I'm aware soccer is an English term, short for "association football". The formal name for rugby is rugby football but it's just often shortened as rugby, or by the two styles of the game: rugby league and rugby union.

Just so we're clear, I wasn't being condescending about the Yanks' usage of the word "soccer". To me, it sounds more pleasing to the ear when calling the game "football" rather than "soccer". "Soccer" sounds quite harsh and rugged. :-b I don't have a problem calling it soccer or anyone else referring to it as such. ;-D

I forgot all about that post, I made it like right after you left on your trip. I know you weren't being condescending, that was more of a blanket statement to people everywhere who get all uptight about Americans calling it soccer or using the term football for the NFL. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Previous

Return to General Talk