flat tires suck - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

flat tires suck

Moderator: Football Moderators

flat tires suck

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:00 pm

Pulling out from work in downtown Indy, a GD manhole cover had been popped out of its manhole. Front left tire found the gaping hole and POP!! Went the goodyear.

90 degree day, asphalt jungle, dressed in the business casual slacks and dress shirt, changing a $#@$%#@ tire in a parking lot. My AAA membership ran out two months ago. Darn it all.

So now I first of all need to get my other tires put on so I can get off the damned donut spare, and then see if it caused other damage to the suspension, alignment, etc. I have a police report and photos, anyone ever had to try to recover property damage from a city before? these tires are $300 apiece, not that they're still made. But I'm more worried about other damage than I am a tire.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: flat tires suck

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:47 pm

sucks...

i read an article recently that the State Of Michigan paid out one claim last year as a result of damage from potholes, so i'd say your chances are pretty slim...but you never know
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:59 pm

well, this isn't a pothole, it's a city utility manhole in the middle of the street. It was the city cop who wrote it up as property damage resulting from a city street hazard that told me about how to file the compensation claim. My insurance company confirmed that they would deal with the city AFA the city paying my deductable. If there is any damage, it may just be the popped tire.

Potholes I believe need to be reported. If they've been reported and not fixed withing (I think it's 24 hours here) and you hit it and get damage, city can be held liable.

This is just a headache more than anything. I needed to get my summer tires on, now I have an appt. at 11:30 tomorrow to get that done. I have a spare goodyear tire so the set that got messed up today has a replacement (the second replacement, at 250 a pop).

Grumble... end rant. I'm MUCH better now. :-°
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:16 pm

here's the hole my tire went in:

Here's the plug for said hole, further down the road. This has no importance.

scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Metroid » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:22 pm

Know what sucks more that flat tires? Flat chicks. srsly. :-B
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:36 pm

Metroid wrote:

who?
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:23 pm

I don't know about Indy but in Cali my friend once had a city pay for his Boyd's rim after a Pothole damaged it. Something like $400-$500. This is clearly the City's fault. I would have them pay for a tire and possible rim, alignment, and full check of the suspension.

I think you have a good shot at getting them to pay
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby lmcjaho » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:41 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I don't know about Indy but in Cali my friend once had a city pay for his Boyd's rim after a Pothole damaged it. Something like $400-$500. This is clearly the City's fault. I would have them pay for a tire and possible rim, alignment, and full check of the suspension.

I think you have a good shot at getting them to pay

I'm not sure how clearly the fault lies with the city on this one to be honest. I mean, it can be argued that one should not drive into open manholes...

That being said, I do agree that you SHOULD be able to get the city to foot the bill on this one.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Guru13 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Metroid wrote:Know what sucks more that flat tires? Flat chicks. srsly. :-B

word.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby scottaa1 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm

lmcjaho wrote:I mean, it can be argued that one should not drive into open manholes...

it's probably comments like that that got your car egged.

Got my other tires put on yesterday. It feels fine. I got it up to around 85 looking for vibration, pull, anything, and it felt normal. The tires that were on it were approaching 30k miles which is their lifetime. So if the car is ok and the tire was about worn out, I don't really know what loss I can show. I'm gunna have to buy 4 snow tires come fall instead of trying to make one more winter with these. That'll be close to a grand, and the third set of tires in three years.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Next

Return to General Talk