Another home invasion shooting in Houston - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby dream_017 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:41 pm

knapplc wrote:Here we go. Image


Scoot over, I want a front row seat too Image
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 15305
(Past Year: 59)
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Ford Field: Section - 132; Row - 19; Seat - 11

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:47 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Madison wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Killing in self-defense = okay.
Killing in defense of your neighbor's TV = not okay.


The TV is worth more than the criminal's life, so fire at will. ;-D


Are you being serious? Because if so, I take issue with this comment. There is a reason certain crimes merit certain punishments in law: it's because medial crimes like stealing a tv certainly shouldn't be punishable by death.


Yes I am serious and take whatever issue you like with it. I don't mean that to sound rude or anything, I just have zero love for criminals and could care less about protecting them when they choose to break the law.

Two things to keep in mind. First note your mentality about "menial" crimes is exactly what fosters and nurtures the criminal element in this country and is a big factor as to why crime happens. If criminals knew there was a very good chance they'd be shot dead when breaking into someone's home, there would be very few home invasions because even criminals don't really want to die. But of course we've got the "that's not fair!" crowd trying to protect those idiots, and in turn gives the green light for crooks to break into homes because what's the "fair" punishment? A little time in jail? Yawn. Yeah, that's really worked, hasn't it? ;-7

Second is that I'm not saying the police should track the crook down and shoot him, or they should arrest him and give him the chair or anything. I'm referring to people protecting themselves, their families, their property, and even that of their neighbors. By shooting someone who broke into your neighbors house, you are protecting the entire neighborhood by sending the message to criminals that if they do something stupid in that neighborhood, they could die. Not doing anything is how ghettos and "bad areas" of town are formed in the first place. <--- Read that last sentence again.

But feel free to defend criminals that choose to break the law. There isn't anything you can say that will have positive results for the law abiding citizens or for neighborhoods, but go ahead and attempt it anyway. Several have tried over many conversations, zero have succeeded.

dream_017 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Here we go. Image


Scoot over, I want a front row seat too Image


:-b

Oh come on guys, there's nothing here. Or at least there shouldn't be, but welcome to the weird world of protecting criminals! :-S

:-b
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby knapplc » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:51 pm

Madison wrote:Oh come on guys, there's nothing here. Or at least there shouldn't be, but welcome to the weird world of protecting criminals!


Oh come on yourownself. You're just mad because you're getting predictable in your old age.

You old fart, you. ;-) O:-)
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:59 pm

knapplc wrote:
Madison wrote:Oh come on guys, there's nothing here. Or at least there shouldn't be, but welcome to the weird world of protecting criminals!


Oh come on yourownself. You're just mad because you're getting predictable in your old age.

You old fart, you. ;-) O:-)


Old and crotchety, that's me! :-b

I'm not upset in the least (about anything), but it is disappointing to continue to see things like people defending criminals. :,-( Some day people will wake up and live in reality instead of the imaginary world they think could exist, but until that time I'll simply hope it happens in my lifetime (what's left of it :-b ).
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby scottaa1 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:00 pm

Madison wrote: If criminals knew there was a very good chance they'd be shot dead when breaking into someone's home, there would be very few home invasions because even criminals don't really want to die.


I recall reading somewhere, wish I remembered where, that for this very reason crime was actually pretty low in the Old West. Everyone had a pistol on their hip and a shotgun within arms reach. And they were probably grouchy all the time, too, because there was no air conditioning or high speed internet in the old west. I'd be looking for reasons to shoot people under those conditions, too.
Image
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 8540
(Past Year: 13)
Joined: 17 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Indy

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 8:22 am

Madison wrote:
A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
Madison wrote:The TV is worth more than the criminal's life, so fire at will. ;-D


Are you being serious? Because if so, I take issue with this comment. There is a reason certain crimes merit certain punishments in law: it's because medial crimes like stealing a tv certainly shouldn't be punishable by death.


Yes I am serious and take whatever issue you like with it. I don't mean that to sound rude or anything, I just have zero love for criminals and could care less about protecting them when they choose to break the law.

Two things to keep in mind. First note your mentality about "menial" crimes is exactly what fosters and nurtures the criminal element in this country and is a big factor as to why crime happens. If criminals knew there was a very good chance they'd be shot dead when breaking into someone's home, there would be very few home invasions because even criminals don't really want to die. But of course we've got the "that's not fair!" crowd trying to protect those idiots, and in turn gives the green light for crooks to break into homes because what's the "fair" punishment? A little time in jail? Yawn. Yeah, that's really worked, hasn't it? ;-7

Second is that I'm not saying the police should track the crook down and shoot him, or they should arrest him and give him the chair or anything. I'm referring to people protecting themselves, their families, their property, and even that of their neighbors. By shooting someone who broke into your neighbors house, you are protecting the entire neighborhood by sending the message to criminals that if they do something stupid in that neighborhood, they could die. Not doing anything is how ghettos and "bad areas" of town are formed in the first place. <--- Read that last sentence again.

But feel free to defend criminals that choose to break the law. There isn't anything you can say that will have positive results for the law abiding citizens or for neighborhoods, but go ahead and attempt it anyway. Several have tried over many conversations, zero have succeeded.


Eh, I may as well give it the old college try. First off, you mentioned that "there isn't anything I can say," but the law is in place like this, the original post that you disagreed with was in favor of protecting criminals, and apparently many people have had this conversation before as well. Honestly, not that many people are going to be so far off base that there's no merit whatsoever in the argument, which I believe is what you are suggesting.

Also, I don't think there's a whole lot that you can do to stop people from breaking into the homes of others and stealing their personal property. It's not that criminals aren't afraid of the consequences, but rather that they don't believe they will be caught. Whether it's apathy or arrogance, the criminals believe that it won't happen to them (or that they can get away with it just this once). Trust me, I have no more love for these criminals than you do, and I would just as soon have them die as well, but that doesn't make it fair to them to shoot them for stealing a tv.

It's important to keep in mind that the scenario I'm referring to is that you see someone walking out of your neighbor's house with the tv, and you open fire. I am NOT suggesting that what the person did in the original story in this thread was wrong. If someone is getting ready to break into your home, where your family is sleeping, and you are legitimately worried about the safety of you and your family, then I have no problem with the homeowner opening fire. But that is a significantly different situation than seeing a criminal walk out of your neighbor's house with a tv in hand. So anyway, if you refer to the statement that I bolded (which I believe to be the main focus of this discussion), I agree with the first 2 items in the list, just not the last 2 (and certainly not the last one). You don't need to take the law into your own hands for a robbery (especially if there is no evidence of someone being armed). Call the police. They exist for a reason.


Dream and Knapp- I hope we are sufficiently entertaining you thusfar. There is more popcorn available for a small price, as well as beer and soda in the fridge :-b
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby petedog9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:57 am

This is pretty simple in my house....When a criminals breaks down my door and enters, I am not going to tke the time to ask him his intentions. I pull the trigger to ensure my families safety... end of story..
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2964
Joined: 7 Nov 2002
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Sacramento CA

Re: Another home invasion shooting in Houston

Postby Madison » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:44 am

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Eh, I may as well give it the old college try. First off, you mentioned that "there isn't anything I can say," but the law is in place like this, the original post that you disagreed with was in favor of protecting criminals, and apparently many people have had this conversation before as well. Honestly, not that many people are going to be so far off base that there's no merit whatsoever in the argument, which I believe is what you are suggesting.

Also, I don't think there's a whole lot that you can do to stop people from breaking into the homes of others and stealing their personal property. It's not that criminals aren't afraid of the consequences, but rather that they don't believe they will be caught. Whether it's apathy or arrogance, the criminals believe that it won't happen to them (or that they can get away with it just this once). Trust me, I have no more love for these criminals than you do, and I would just as soon have them die as well, but that doesn't make it fair to them to shoot them for stealing a tv.

It's important to keep in mind that the scenario I'm referring to is that you see someone walking out of your neighbor's house with the tv, and you open fire. I am NOT suggesting that what the person did in the original story in this thread was wrong. If someone is getting ready to break into your home, where your family is sleeping, and you are legitimately worried about the safety of you and your family, then I have no problem with the homeowner opening fire. But that is a significantly different situation than seeing a criminal walk out of your neighbor's house with a tv in hand. So anyway, if you refer to the statement that I bolded (which I believe to be the main focus of this discussion), I agree with the first 2 items in the list, just not the last 2 (and certainly not the last one). You don't need to take the law into your own hands for a robbery (especially if there is no evidence of someone being armed). Call the police. They exist for a reason.


Dream and Knapp- I hope we are sufficiently entertaining you thusfar. There is more popcorn available for a small price, as well as beer and soda in the fridge :-b


I said there isn't anything you can say that would have a positive result for law abiding citizens or for neighborhoods, and I don't see one in the above post. A lot of people have argued in past conversations what the law reads and how it is "wrong" (which is a matter of opinion) to shoot a criminal, but not a single person has ever shown a positive result for just sitting back and allowing a criminal to rob your neighbor.

As to the law, ask yourself this: If you watched someone rob your neighbor while you had a registered handgun, a license for that handgun, and you knew how to use it, yet all you did was call the police and watch the criminal drive off, would you be able to look yourself in the mirror? Maybe you could, but I couldn't. And the positive results of shooting a burglar in the act make it a no-brainer to shoot rather than sit.

True, apathy and arrogance play a part in the mind of a criminal, but do you notice how even comedians joke about "If you're going to kill someone, don't do it in Texas!"? Sticking it in the front of the brain of a criminal that there is a very good possibility that they will be shot dead the next time they break into a house would certainly cause them to think twice. Some would still risk it of course, but others would not.

Oh, and when someone chooses to break into someone else's home, "fair" goes out the window for me. I don't care if you capture the guy who broke into your neighbor's home and torture the guy half to death and then hook up IV's to keep him alive so you can torture him some more before killing him. He took the risk, he can pay the price.

What makes a neighborhood safer? Calling the police, or shooting the bad guy? Put yourself in the spot. A robbery on your street. Feel safer if the criminal got away, or if the criminal got shot in the act? Shot should be the easy answer. And have you ever noticed how those who live in "bad areas" always have meetings and such about "taking back their street"? You know how they lost it in the first place? By doing nothing except calling the police.

Maybe you value life (and I mean "all" life) more than me, but on my end, the last drop of urine in my bladder (to put it very nicely) is worth more than a burglar's life.



Never thought about charging for popcorn! I've been giving it away for free all this time. Drat! :-b
Image

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

User avatar
ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5979
Joined: 29 Apr 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Taking Souls...

Previous

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:46 hours
(and 38 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact