Vincent Jackson- unsigned; tradeable? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Vincent Jackson- unsigned; tradeable?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Vincent Jackson- unsigned; tradeable?

Postby Kareighuis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:56 am

So, Vincent Jackson (and OT Marcus McNeil) never signed their restricted free agent offer from the Chargers. GM AJ Smith thus reduced the offer and the two threatened they would sign until just before week 10, so that they wouldn't lose their unrestricted free agent status for next offseason.

A week ago, it was speculated Seattle would be interested in trading for Jackson. Smith is known as a hardline negotiator- it was thought he would refuse any offer and apply even more pressure on VJax's camp.

Instead, the report wasn't swatted down. Now, "several other teams" have expressed interest, Washington being one of the ones known. Chicago has been linked to VJax also.

Which of the 3 teams would be the best landing spot- Chicago, Seattle, or Washington? The first 2 might be willing to give up a quality pick, but the Skins may not have their full complement. However, they have 3 catchers (WR/TE- Fred Davis, Malcolm Kelly, Devin Thomas) who are entering their magical 3rd year. Could they be reasonably worked into a trade? Considering "several other teams" are interested, what other teams would be good options?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Vincent Jackson- unsigned; tradeable?

Postby biju » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:25 pm

From a pure fan perspective I would love to see Vincent Jackson in Seattle merely because we could use the talent and it would be the death knell of Deion Branch's oft-injured tenure in Seattle. It might be the right move for Charlie Whitehurst as well who might already have some rapport with Jackson.

However the realist in me notes that we already have invested a ton of money in the WR position and might be better served to spend that extra cash on serviceable DEs, DTs (but not to replace Mebane), and possibly at LG and RT once the zone scheme is completely digested by Okung, Spencer and Unger. Not to mention that we'll likely need to pay a 1st round QB in the 2011 draft in the Whitehurst experiment doesn't pan out. If this was the "final piece" I would be a lot more inclined to try to land him, but our previous free agent acquisitions and their propensity to bust upon landing at Sea Tac makes me hesitate.

Still, Vincent Jackson is young enough and has the talent to help steady the ship while our younger guys grow...
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby u_fig_eater » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:06 pm

I'd like to see him go to Chicago. I'd probably help Jay Cutler. Chicago doesn't really have a bona fide #1, and it looks like they're going all-in to win now, so I think it could happen.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:14 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:I'd like to see him go to Chicago. I'd probably help Jay Cutler. Chicago doesn't really have a bona fide #1, and it looks like they're going all-in to win now, so I think it could happen.

I don't know that a super vertical threat like Jackson really fits into Mike Martz's scheme all that well though. He's more of a timing and route running based guy in his offensive schemes so while it might be a good fit with Cutler's arm, not sure if they would go after him just from a scheme standpoint.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:22 pm

u_fig_eater wrote:I'd like to see him go to Chicago. I'd probably help Jay Cutler. Chicago doesn't really have a bona fide #1, and it looks like they're going all-in to win now, so I think it could happen.

Per the Chicago Tribune, the Bears aren't currently pursuing Vincent Jackson:

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com/2010/06/source-bears-not-pursuing-chargers-jackson.html
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:48 pm

I think the Stillers should seriously see if they can trade for V Jax. He would more than make up for Smokey Holmes and give them a proven clutch receiver with many seasons ahead of him.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:50 pm

moochman wrote:I think the Stillers should seriously see if they can trade for V Jax. He would more than make up for Smokey Holmes and give them a proven clutch receiver with many seasons ahead of him.

I'd love for that to happen...we've needed a "Plaxico Burress" receiver ever since we let him go and while I like the other guys we have (Ward and Wallace), someone like Jackson to spread the field vertically would go a long way to opening things up in our offense. We don't really have guys currently who can truly win those jump balls down the field which is something sorely lacking from our offense.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:49 pm

mattb47 wrote:
moochman wrote:I think the Stillers should seriously see if they can trade for V Jax. He would more than make up for Smokey Holmes and give them a proven clutch receiver with many seasons ahead of him.

I'd love for that to happen...we've needed a "Plaxico Burress" receiver ever since we let him go and while I like the other guys we have (Ward and Wallace), someone like Jackson to spread the field vertically would go a long way to opening things up in our offense. We don't really have guys currently who can truly win those jump balls down the field which is something sorely lacking from our offense.

And V Jax is the perfect transition from aging Ward to young Wallace. Can't help thinking a deal like that could place the Stillers in the hunt for another half decade.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby petedog9 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:11 am

Looks like V-Jax might be suspended the first part of the season. This will affect his value and probably keep a team like the Steelers far away from him. They just got rid of a suspended WR....

Profootballtalk.com reports that at least one team interested in a trade for Vincent Jackson has learned that the Pro Bowler expects to be suspended four games to open the 2010 season.

With two DUIs as a pro, V-Jax is a multiple offender of the Personal Conduct Policy. Whether or not Jackson is on the Chargers' 2010 roster, it sounds like Legedu Naanee is going to start games to open the season, with Malcom Floyd filling in as the nominal "No. 1 receiver." Craig Davis would be No. 3, and Antonio Gates' targets would also rise. Jackson's trade value will obviously take a hit with this news. He won't be available until Week 5, and would be just one more misstep away from an even lengthier ban. Jun. 30 - 10:00 pm et

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uspension/
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm

petedog9 wrote:Looks like V-Jax might be suspended the first part of the season. This will affect his value and probably keep a team like the Steelers far away from him. They just got rid of a suspended WR....

Profootballtalk.com reports that at least one team interested in a trade for Vincent Jackson has learned that the Pro Bowler expects to be suspended four games to open the 2010 season.

With two DUIs as a pro, V-Jax is a multiple offender of the Personal Conduct Policy. Whether or not Jackson is on the Chargers' 2010 roster, it sounds like Legedu Naanee is going to start games to open the season, with Malcom Floyd filling in as the nominal "No. 1 receiver." Craig Davis would be No. 3, and Antonio Gates' targets would also rise. Jackson's trade value will obviously take a hit with this news. He won't be available until Week 5, and would be just one more misstep away from an even lengthier ban. Jun. 30 - 10:00 pm et

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... uspension/

Probably true, Stillers won't want to touch someone with any hint of trouble. Drinking isn't the same as guns, drugs, or dogs, though. Still much more acceptable and almost could be expected in many young athletes, as well as the general population. Man athletes can be so dumb.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Football Talk