The Bly is back - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

The Bly is back

Moderator: Football Moderators

The Bly is back

Postby Santacruzer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:33 pm

The Lions have reached a 2 year deal with Dre Bly.

Although they need some veteran leadership with the defensive backfield I'm not so sure this is a good thing. He turned into a locker room cancer from the reports I remember and I don't think he can contribute enough to offset his issues :-[
Santacruzer
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: The Bly is back

Postby moochman » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:12 pm

The signing of Bly is another sign of just how bad this team was and still is. Assuming (and when has assuming anything with the Leos not evoked the ole assuming adage?) Mayhew has a plan Bly could just a be a finger in the dyke that is our secondary. Fact is that we are woefully thin at CB and if Bly can play every week he will be an upgrade until they can address that position in the coming drafts.
I actually feel good about this signing in that it may signal a change in Lions-think. Rather than roll out a crap secondary like we have over the last few seasons, and telling us how we will "coach 'em up", the Lions are admitting the lack of talent and trying to put a patch on a big leak. I just hope it isn't like trying to put out a fire by dropping a bag of marshmellows on the flames.
As for Dre's poor attitude I can only hope they put him on a very tight leash. I don't mind the showboating after making plays--hey, you have to make a play first, right? But the tumorous back-stabbing and scapegoating of teammates and or coaches has got to stop. I will defer to the Schwartz to keep Bly at bay with the first signs of mutinous behavior. (make that behaviour for you Cruzer :-b )

For his part, Dre is saying all the right things (stomach churning at this all too familiar Lions tradition).

Taken from Mlive.com. http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... lions.html

"I feel like I played my best ball here in Detroit," Bly said in a press release. "I feel like it's home and to come back and have the chance to finish my career where I played my best ball -- where I feel like I'm part of the community -- is a great feeling."
and "I've also heard the attitude of the team is completely different. I felt like I was a part of the community when I was there in Detroit. I always felt like I was family. I had a great relationship with the people upstairs, the administrators, people that worked around the facility."

Maybe the old dog has learned a new trick, or maybe he'll start barking after the first handful of losses. Either way this is a gamble I think had to be made.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions