Labron and Miami - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Labron and Miami

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Labron and Miami

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

mattb47 wrote:About to sign Ilgauskas from Cleveland too so there's another piece. I don't think it will be "a walk in the park", it never is, but I definitely think they'll be there and I don't know that LA is definitely a more complete or better team if you really think about it. I mean I really don't see LA being able to defend those 3 guys consistently at all...Artest is no longer as elite a defender every night as he once was and while Kobe is a good defender, they generally try not to put him on a great offensive player to keep him from wearing down as much.

I don't know how it will all play out...but if these guys play as well together as I think they can, then I don't see anyone stopping them.

For a couple years down the road, you're probably right, but I don't agree if you're talking about this year. The Lakers have had the nucleus of their team together for a few years now, whereas the Heat are going to have to get used to playing together. Also, at the end of the game, when someone needs to take over, I would take Kobe over any of the 3 on the Heat. Also, I do think Bosh is very good, but he is not as good as the hype would make you believe. I would take Pau Gasol over him, especially given that Bosh has not proven he can win. Also, while we're discussing inability to win, Lebron hasn't been able to either, meaning out of these 3 elite players that they have, only one of them has shown any ability to win.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:34 pm

I wonder if Lebron and Wade are really a good match. They're basically the same player (take it to the rim, hard), and only one of them can do that on each possesion. It could be two men, one ball. Bosh will be fine since he's a big man and it's easier for the little man/big man thing to work...
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Jul 13, 2010 11:46 pm

No doubt they are going to be a good team especially if they can fill out that roster with cheap players who want t atitle over money. I still think a few teams can match up pretty well with them one being the Lakers. Remember you can drive to the hoop but you have to get the ball over some real long arms when you play the Lakers.

Going to be interesting for sure.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:22 am

I have a hard time understanding why people would think that LeBron and Wade can't play together...to me it's almost like wondering if Magic Johnson and Michael Jordan could have played together...the answer is of course they could! LeBron plays a lot more like Magic than he does like Jordan in many ways and I think that's the kind of role we'll see him in...don't be surprised if LeBron is top 5 in assists next season and is averaging a double double in points/assists.

I've also always thought that Dwayne Wade was more "Jordan-esque" in his play style and how he took over games than LeBron was...he showed that in their championship run I think. Both guys are unselfish but LeBron probably a bit more so and I would expect to see him playing the point a decent amount this season too. Then you add in Chris Bosh who is a PERFECT post player to add to these two guys and you have 3 guys who will mesh very well I think.

I think depending upon the role players they get to fill in the gaps (they are off to a great start already), they could easily be playing for a championship this year and certainly by the year after if not. I just think people are really overstating the "chemistry" issues here...I think it's more an issue for the Lakers to be completely honest as they have guys who simply "check out" at times who are key players for them (Odom and Artest).
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby houstonherdfan » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

The way this was handled by all parties was absolutely wrong, like a bunch of little kids.

I don't blaime Lebron for his choise of Miami, no state income tax, that puts 10 mil extra in his pocket as opposed to NYC, and about 5 mil more than if he had chosen Clev.

His coach in Clev deserved a call before the TV special, not nesesrily the owner. If you look at it from an employment perspective his direct supervisor was his coach, thats who he should have told.

The owner should have been more professional instead of crying like a baby.

I didn't watch the show since not a fan of any of the teams vieing for his services and didn't care where he went. I have heard he said some childish things about Clev not sure but if he did the the above statement about the Cavs owner applied also to Lebron.
You could think of government workers like teenagers. You pay them an allowance, but do you get any work out them? They eat the food, put their feet on the furniture and complain loudly whenever they are unhappy.
houstonherdfan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Sweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 5)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:The way this was handled by all parties was absolutely wrong, like a bunch of little kids.

I don't blaime Lebron for his choise of Miami, no state income tax, that puts 10 mil extra in his pocket as opposed to NYC, and about 5 mil more than if he had chosen Clev.

You're right about NYC, but wrong about Clev. If he had gone to Cleveland, he would have gotten a much bigger contract and way more money.

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Metroid » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:49 pm

He'd have gotten a huge max contract in Cleveland. He didn't go to Miami for the money, he went for a ring(s).
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:36 am

Metroid wrote:He'd have gotten a huge max contract in Cleveland. He didn't go to Miami for the money, he went for a ring(s).

Exactly. Remember when Jordan signed a 36 mil contract for 1 year because cap doesn't matter when re-signing a NBA player.

lEbron signed for the ring. He was honest and sincere in the interview about why he did it. He just should have treated Cleveland better. That advice just made it so he can't really go back. Even just to hang out. Their perception of him is totally different now.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby mattb47 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:34 pm

And not only that...credit to him and Bosh and Wade for ALL taking paycuts even from what they could have made where they went and organizing sign-and-trades with their former teams so that they didn't get stuck with nothing. If I was LeBron, I don't know that I would have been all that keen on working with Cleveland's management after that letter their owner sent out but props to him for still being willing to help out his old team at least a little and taking a paycut so that his new team could sign some role players to help his team win.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:03 pm

mattb47 wrote:And not only that...credit to him and Bosh and Wade for ALL taking paycuts even from what they could have made where they went and organizing sign-and-trades with their former teams so that they didn't get stuck with nothing. If I was LeBron, I don't know that I would have been all that keen on working with Cleveland's management after that letter their owner sent out but props to him for still being willing to help out his old team at least a little and taking a paycut so that his new team could sign some role players to help his team win.

What? :-? How did Lebron help his old team at all?

A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk