Bullocks gone - end of an era - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Bullocks gone - end of an era

Moderator: Football Moderators

Bullocks gone - end of an era

Postby stomperrob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:21 am

Last Updated: July 10. 2010 1:00AM .
Tim Twentyman: Lions
Daniel Bullocks' release completes purge of Matt Millen's vision

Allen Park -- The release of Lions safety Daniel Bullocks on Thursday wiped clean the slate of the worst five-year stretch of drafting in NFL history.

From 2002 through 2006, the Lions drafted 39 players -- five of whom were taken in the top 10 picks. Bullocks represented the last remaining player on the roster from that stretch of drafting by former president and general manager Matt Millen that ultimately set the franchise back who knows how far.

Current Lions general manager Martin Mayhew, who took over for Millen when he was fired in September 2008, was recently asked how the franchise stands today, as opposed to when he took over for Millen.

"I think we are a much better football team. I think we are a much better organization. It's not me; I think we've done it collectively. We have come a long way," he said. "Obviously, the talent level has improved. We've had two good drafts. There is a lot of work for those guys to still do to prove that, but we are pleased with the process that we have with our drafts and we are pleased with the way these guys have developed so far."

That hasn't translated to victories on the field thus far, but there's a real sense from talking with players who outlasted Millen's reign, former players still hanging around Detroit and people within the organization that the Lions seem to be on the right path.

But let's not kid ourselves, there's still plenty of work to do.

con't...

more: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100710 ... n-s-vision
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Return to Detroit Lions