Rebuilding a Computer... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Rebuilding a Computer...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby sox 06 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:49 pm

I have some questions about rebuilding a desktop PC. I got a free Gateway tower (manufactured in 2003) a couple of months ago and I decided to turn it into a PVR (Personal Video Recorder). I installed a 160GB HDD, maxed it out at 2GB of RAM, installed a PCI graphics card which has its own fan and 512MB of dedicated RAM, installed a 350W power supply and I did a clean install of Windows XP.

However, the performance of the computer still stinks. Online video is choppy and slow as molasses even though I have a fast wired internet connection (the wireless connection on my laptop is tremendous and there is absolutely no lag on videos). I'm using a USB TV Tuner and the video quality is choppy and lags as well (I used the same exact TV tuner with my laptop and the quality was great). Now for the real kicker, I pop a DVD into the drive and the quality is amazing with absolutely no lag or choppiness.

My question is, how do I get online video and the TV signal to be watchable? Do I need to replace the motherboard with a better one? Should I upgrade the processor (currently has an Intel Pentium 4 processor)? Any help would be great.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:41 am

i'd put mythbuntu or mythdora on it. the bottleneck there is most likely your proc.
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby sox 06 » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:23 pm

moonhead wrote:i'd put mythbuntu or mythdora on it. the bottleneck there is most likely your proc.

I've never heard of it, can it be used with Windows or is it an "add-on" type of thing for Ubuntu?

I've actually made quite a bit of progress since I made this post. I messed around with the settings that came with the video card, which made a big difference. I also downloaded MsDVR to use as software for the tuner and it works pretty good. However, the quality still isn't great, but at least its watchable now.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby moonhead » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:30 pm

sox 06 wrote:
moonhead wrote:i'd put mythbuntu or mythdora on it. the bottleneck there is most likely your proc.

I've never heard of it, can it be used with Windows or is it an "add-on" type of thing for Ubuntu?

I've actually made quite a bit of progress since I made this post. I messed around with the settings that came with the video card, which made a big difference. I also downloaded MsDVR to use as software for the tuner and it works pretty good. However, the quality still isn't great, but at least its watchable now.

well, mythbuntu is ubuntu with mythTV. it's basically designed to do exactly what you're wanting to do. mythdora is fedora with mythTV. it may be a bit more outdated than mythbuntu. obviously these would be running the linux kernel, and not anything inside windows. it can't hurt to give it a shot, if you don't like it, wipe it and put windows back on. or if you don't want to commit to it, shrink your windows partition by about 10 gb and test it out on there, i'm not sure if they're live discs or not.
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:11 am

moonhead wrote:
sox 06 wrote:
moonhead wrote:i'd put mythbuntu or mythdora on it. the bottleneck there is most likely your proc.

I've never heard of it, can it be used with Windows or is it an "add-on" type of thing for Ubuntu?

I've actually made quite a bit of progress since I made this post. I messed around with the settings that came with the video card, which made a big difference. I also downloaded MsDVR to use as software for the tuner and it works pretty good. However, the quality still isn't great, but at least its watchable now.

well, mythbuntu is ubuntu with mythTV. it's basically designed to do exactly what you're wanting to do. mythdora is fedora with mythTV. it may be a bit more outdated than mythbuntu. obviously these would be running the linux kernel, and not anything inside windows. it can't hurt to give it a shot, if you don't like it, wipe it and put windows back on. or if you don't want to commit to it, shrink your windows partition by about 10 gb and test it out on there, i'm not sure if they're live discs or not.

Don't you need to create a disc image of the .iso file? I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and I've downloaded Mythbuntu, and when I right click on it, I don't see the built-in option to burn the image to a disc. I then used 7-Zip to unzip the file, and I don't see any other files that I can create an image for. What am I missing? I installed Ubuntu a while back on this machine and I was able to create an image without any trouble.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby moonhead » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:58 pm

sox 06 wrote:
moonhead wrote:
sox 06 wrote:I've never heard of it, can it be used with Windows or is it an "add-on" type of thing for Ubuntu?

I've actually made quite a bit of progress since I made this post. I messed around with the settings that came with the video card, which made a big difference. I also downloaded MsDVR to use as software for the tuner and it works pretty good. However, the quality still isn't great, but at least its watchable now.

well, mythbuntu is ubuntu with mythTV. it's basically designed to do exactly what you're wanting to do. mythdora is fedora with mythTV. it may be a bit more outdated than mythbuntu. obviously these would be running the linux kernel, and not anything inside windows. it can't hurt to give it a shot, if you don't like it, wipe it and put windows back on. or if you don't want to commit to it, shrink your windows partition by about 10 gb and test it out on there, i'm not sure if they're live discs or not.

Don't you need to create a disc image of the .iso file? I'm running Windows 7 on my laptop and I've downloaded Mythbuntu, and when I right click on it, I don't see the built-in option to burn the image to a disc. I then used 7-Zip to unzip the file, and I don't see any other files that I can create an image for. What am I missing? I installed Ubuntu a while back on this machine and I was able to create an image without any trouble.

http://mythbuntu.org/download/?file=myt ... p-i386.iso
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby sox 06 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:46 pm

I just downloaded a free program that can write a disc image.

So I tried using the Live CD, but because I couldn't save any settings, I decided to make a dual boot with Windows XP and Mythbuntu. I got Mythbuntu installed and after I went through some of the steps to setup the TV part, it prompted me to restart the computer, so I did. Ever since I did, I can't get the Mythbuntu side to boot. Windows XP boots fine, but when I try to boot Mythbuntu, I just get a black screen and my TV displays it's "No signal" message on the screen :-?
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby moonhead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:57 am

so, you have a grub menu?
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby sox 06 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:01 pm

I wiped the HDD drive clean and dedicated it to Mythbuntu and it boots fine now. My USB TV Tuner is powered, but when I run a scan for channels, it says the "card can't be opened."
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 3238
Joined: 22 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Boomtown

Re: Rebuilding a Computer...

Postby moonhead » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:55 pm

sox 06 wrote:I wiped the HDD drive clean and dedicated it to Mythbuntu and it boots fine now. My USB TV Tuner is powered, but when I run a scan for channels, it says the "card can't be opened."

have you googled? what's your card make and model?
Image
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Posts: 15994
Joined: 16 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Next

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 22:43 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact