Would you ever consider catering your draft party? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Would you ever consider catering your draft party?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Would you ever consider catering your draft party?

Postby DTMan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:45 am

Hello,

I'm a fantasy sports enthusiast and a self-employed business development and marketing strategy consultant for very, very small businesses. I'm working with a friend who does freelance catering and thinking of ways she can find new markets and a unique specialty. I'd love to get opinions on something from the Cafe.

Would catering for your draft party be something you'd consider? I envision a menu of relatively simple, sports/guy-friendly dishes, the kind of stuff I like to eat when I watch football with friends: homemade pizzas, meatballs, wings, sliced steak, creative dips and veggies or chips, quality sandwiches - stuff that goes good with beer and friends.

I feel like this could be a good upgrade for a group of guys that normally just orders a few pizzas and wings - for a little more money per owner, you get better food, some unusual options...and maybe you get a kick out of making your draft feel like more of an EVENT.

Would you consider it? What would be your considerations or your concerns? Do you have a sense for how much you'd pay? Are there other types of events that aren't traditionally catered but could be? Would you consider hiring an affordable caterer to provide food for a Sunday afternoon ball-watching get-together at your house? Or have you done so in the past?

Thanks in advance for any feedback or direction you can provide, and good luck with the upcoming season!

Dan
DTMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Would you ever consider catering your draft party?

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:47 pm

i can say that its a good idea and that i woudl loev to do it...but realistically i would never do it. not that i wouldnt enjoy it...or that i would mind paying a little more...but ist just something id never do

not really sure why....just wouldnt come to mind. too easy to order pizza and wings or pick up 9 millions Mc nuggets

having it catered just seems like work
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:52 pm

All you have to be is barely competent with a grill and you're going to get food guys like for not even half the cost of a caterer.

I'm sure there are guys who would have their draft catered, but none that I know of.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:01 pm

DTMan wrote:Would you consider it?

Sure why not.

DTMan wrote:What would be your considerations or your concerns?

Cost per person and I didn't see bacon :-L mentioned in the food listing

DTMan wrote:Do you have a sense for how much you'd pay?

I wouldn't pay more than $10

DTMan wrote:Are there other types of events that aren't traditionally catered but could be?

Poker party :-?

DTMan wrote:Would you consider hiring an affordable caterer to provide food for a Sunday afternoon ball-watching get-together at your house?

Depends how many people I had. I usually only watch with 3-4 guys.

DTMan wrote: Or have you done so in the past?

Nope
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 60)

Postby DTMan » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:11 pm

Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. One thing I should mention is that we live in a fairly yuppie neighborhood of Brooklyn. So most people don't have outdoor space with a grill, and a lot of people have small kitchens that are no good for cooking. We also have a lot of people with more money than time (or at least, they think they don't have much time to make food). It's a place where even people with modest income think nothing of paying a premium to send out their laundry and single people in their 20s have cleaning ladies. There's a culture of paying extra for things you can't, won't, or sometimes prefer not to do yourself. That's why I think we'd have an easier time finding a few customers here than in most parts of the country.

That said, I agree with everything you guys have posted. I don't think it's an easy sell...but if she wants one or two gigs per weekend, maybe that's do-able.

Dan
DTMan
Water Boy
Water Boy

(Past Year: 5)

Postby knapplc » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:26 pm

It's a different story in an inner city situation. That makes a lot more sense.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:12 pm

yes...i can see people doing it in the situations you described.
and after thinking about it more i have been to a few events that were catered....engagement parties, showers, other gay girl type stuff. but again i just cant see doing it for sporting events

yuppies.... :-b
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby aaawall91 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:18 am

As a former caterer myself. Yes! if the price is right.
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:13 am

Have it served by scantily-clad women and I think you've got a winner, but that's not a service I'd ever pay for.
Art Vandelay
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to General Talk