Dont draft him...Draft Karim! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dont draft him...Draft Karim!

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dont draft him...Draft Karim!

Postby RBManiac » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:13 pm

According to Jaguars.com's Vic Ketchman, sixth-round RB Deji Karim is showing flashes that that he could be a "home-run hitting back that can take some of the big-play burden off Maurice Jones-Drew."
Karim, a freakish athlete with 4.37 speed and a 43" vertical, dropped several jaws in Thursday's practice with moves that drew video game comparisons. "Deji is extremely explosive and quick," said Dirk Koetter. "He's already demonstrated that he has another gear." Rashad Jennings is a fine backup, but Karim has the talent to blow past him this summer.

Source: Jaguars.com

Karim has the talent to blow past him this summer

According to other sources, he already has passed jenning for the backup role.

Karim signed a 4 year deal recently, and he is slated for a big role as the 3rd down back as a compliment to jones drew, ive been following this guys for several months now and it payed off as i grabbed him the last pick in my dynasty rookie draft, and the last pick in my keeper league.

You might not even own MJD nor a top 5 RB, but if your the type of person that likes to grab a back up to a top 5 RB late in the draft, then Karim is your guy. I know some may say its just hype, but Deji has the build to be an every down back. He is MJD with more talent, and if MJD goes down...i say look out! Deji Karim could possibly be this years rookie Chris Johnson.

If Karim was invited to the combine, he would of went in the 1st round topping all RBs in the vertical, broad jump, and tied the top 40 time, and only reason he didnt go early is a past injury concern. We all seen teams release/pass up extrodinary talent due to injury concerns. Drew Brees, as an example.

I say karim is well worth a late round flier as a stash on your roster...it might pay off 10 fold

thoughts?
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dont draft him...Draft Karim!

Postby markulous » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:53 pm

More talented than MJD? Let's back this hype train up a little bit. He hasn't passed Jennings yet either. I think he's talented too, but saying he's better than one of the best RBs in the league is a little much. And as long as MJD is healthy, I doubt Karim has any value in a re-draft other than as a handcuff(maybe if your league has return yards).
markulous
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattb47 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:19 pm

Yea...it's a bit early and a bit of a stretch at this point to be calling him more talented than MJD, talent is a difficult thing to quantify as well so there's not a lot that can be done to back up that kind of claim. I probably agree more with markulous that he really won't have a ton of value in re-draft leagues unless an injury happens or unless you can get some points for return yards (if he ends up doing that). I think Karim is more talented than most give him credit for in current fantasy circles but I think you're getting a bit caught up in the training camp hype train that always overhypes people.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RBManiac » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:56 am

hey mark, in no way i said he was better than MJD, i also never mentioned anything about value in redraft leagues.

if your the type of person that likes to grab a back up to a top 5 RB late in the draft, then Karim is your guy.

That is the article...lol ^

1. he is more talented.

correction. Athleticly, yes. That is what i mean, which is true. did you see the guys 3 cone drill at 210 pounds?

For someone before entering full contact camp is getting consideration from the coaching staff to pass jennings means alot more than you think. That means the guy is already in the door, why do you think they rushed to sign the guy so quick.

He hasn't passed Jennings yet either.

He has already passed jennings in camp...that is what i mean by passed jennings. Is this official? not yet Can Karim continue to hold off the starting backup role? certainly yes, and im sure he will.

Are jags going to spell MJD more to keep him fresh this year? yes, that is their plan, and a very smart one too, alot of teams want to keep their best guy fresh, some just dont have the talent to be more consistant with spelling their top 5 RB.

This is what i mean, i should of titled this article *grab this backup*
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:26 am

why do you think they rushed to sign the guy so quick.

Lol wut? You act like they broke the speed barrier trying to sign this guy, come on man. He's a 6th round pick, he signed at the same time every other late round pick in the past 30 years has signed, their the easiest picks to sign, hell Dez Bryant signed before him and he is a 1st rounder. There was no rush here to sign him, I think your reaching for some reasons on him.

He also hasn't passed Jennings yet, and your sentence pretty much confused me on all parts. You said he has passed Jennings, then you say is it official and you say no. Then how did he pass him? It's different if you think he will pass him, but you can't say that he has and it's not official when the coaches haven't said anything, and the pads JUST came on. Of course Karim will look better in shorts he's the smaller quicker back, he's not going to pass Jennings just because he's fast. Can he? Of course, no denying it, but it certainly hasn't happened.

Jacksonville Jaguars RB Rashad Jennings appears to have the best hands on the team, reports Vito Stellino, of The Florida Times-Union. Jennings could be a factor for the team on passing downs this year and serve as a solid backup to RB Maurice Jones-Drew. RB Deji Karim also showed good hands and could be another dimension to the offense when he splits out wide and is used on screen passes.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/20861/nfl#ixzz0vSTxl9Xe

It's not like Jennings hasn't impressed this staff as well, and had the same off-season hype last year, went in 2nd round rookie drafts and pretty much was non-existant when the season started.

Sat, 08 Aug 2009 12:05:42 -0400

Vic Ketchman, of Jaguars.com, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars coaching staff has been impressed with RB Rashad Jennings throughout training camp. "He continues to flash," head coach Jack Del Rio said.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/player/20861/nfl#ixzz0vSUQ0Rvk

Jaguars coach Jack Del Rio said it looks like Rashad Jennings is "gonna have a bright future."
With Maurice Jones Drew enduring a very heavy workload and taking a lot of big hits last season, Jennings may get a little opening for more playing time in 2010. He's the clear handcuff to MJD and appears to be a real steal for the Jags in the seventh round of the 2009 draft.
Source: Florida Times Union

What's different? Jennings had these same impressive fluff articles last year at this time, and for what it's worth, if MJD did go down Jennings would be the feature back and Karim would be mixed in more then likely. I like Karim in dynasty leagues as a late stash, probably not redrafts, but my point is let's not get carried away here. Jennings had these same type of articles, and your getting a bit overboard with acting like Karim is just going to cakewalk past Jennings.

Neither guy is 1 to be excited about, MJD is a workhorse and still too young to worry about a Steven Jackson type of breakdown. He gets the short yardage/TD carries, he's an excellent blocker and 3rd down back, excellent receiver, has consistently racked up tons of catches, there isn't much room for him to come off the field and while he's still in his prime I don't see it happening yet.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby RBManiac » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:02 pm

nevermind..i give up

you guys insist on knocking down everything im saying about the guy, and im wrong as well.

ok we will see. This is just like this website...last year i kept saying TE finley will breakout late in the season, and that steve slaton was a complete bust and stay away from him completely.

everyone did the same thing..they knocked everything i said away and called me crazy.

lets just leave it at that.

oh and Karim passed jennings to start camp.
RBManiac
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby mattb47 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:50 pm

I'm not sure what you're talking about with Finley and Slaton...Finley in particular because he was super hyped all over this site last year. You're acting like you were the lone voice supporting him and everyone was calling you crazy...there was even a Cafe article last year on him as a sleeper! And I don't know if anyone was talking about how much people would regret drafting Slaton last season than I was...I was SUPER low on him last season as were a decent amount of others.

We're not trying to knock everything you say or anything, but you're trying to make claims that can't be made and you're reaching for reasons to support what you want to think. We're just talking about how some of the things you're saying are a stretch (which they definitely are) and there's really no need to get so defensive...if you're going to post in a forum with some intelligent fantasy football minds, chances are there are going to be disagreements and you have to be ready to defend yourself with reasonable arguments.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moose_ffc » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:09 pm

I don't know if I buy the Karim hype, but I do like your excitement. Thanks for expressing you "love". I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for any future news on the guy. I am not in a dynasty league, but grabbing him as late as you did sounds like a solid pick.
"Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time."
moose_ffc
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

(Past Year: 3)

Postby dgan » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:21 pm

In crazy dude's defense, I have seen a number of fantasy experts jumping on the Karim-Watch bus. But it is still just a 'watch'. I think that is where you need to temper your enthusiasm a bit. A lot of guys impress in the first 2 days of camp - there is a lot more to the game than talent. Let things move along a bit and keep an eye on it. No reason to get so caught up this early in camp.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:23 pm

RBManiac wrote:nevermind..i give up

you guys insist on knocking down everything im saying about the guy, and im wrong as well.

ok we will see. This is just like this website...last year i kept saying TE finley will breakout late in the season, and that steve slaton was a complete bust and stay away from him completely.

everyone did the same thing..they knocked everything i said away and called me crazy.

lets just leave it at that.

oh and Karim passed jennings to start camp.

So that means everything you say will be right no matter what, no way it can be wrong since you got 2 sleepers right? Lol. Everyone isn't supposed to be in complete total agreement here, if there are 2 sides to an argument so be it, but that be like me telling you I called Austin and Sidney Rice breakout candidates so you should listen to me I'll obviously be right.

I'm not even saying your wrong, but my point was you posted articles talking about Karim yet the exact same kind of articles were popping up about Jennings all over the place at the same time last year. I'm not sure what you wanted everyone here to do, jump all over you and talk about how awesome you are? There are always people on both sides of the fence, some people who don't really have an opinion 1 way or another like 2 read it from both sides.

Though it makes me respect your opinion alot less when you say stuff like "well I got these 2 sleepers right and I got called crazy so i'm probably right here again". Everyone on this site has been right about a few guys, I don't think that's anything to brag about, and it's certainly not something you should expect to use as a reason to take another opinion seriously. Just my honest opinion. Anyway like Matt said there were a ton of people here high on Finley, TONS. Same for Slaton, I am pretty sure some people did disagree with you here, that'll happen on any website.

I have no problem with your opinion, but you have to at least be open to the other side of the argument and just not block it out because people don't agree with you. I am super high on Mike Williams this year and am staying completely away from Arrelious Benn, but if someone offered up the flip side I'm not gonna just give up and say "this is so like this website, nobody listened when I talked about Miles Austin so whatever".

I actually have Karim in a few dynasties, like the dude as a long term sleeper, just not at the point where I'm getting that excited yet. No matter who the back-up is I still don't think the opportunity is there for many touches.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer