Edward vs. Jacob?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: ghost town

Postby moonhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:27 am

Metroid wrote:How bout Leo vs. Bale? O:-)

in what context?
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:34 am

Oh, I see what you're referring to Met. Haha. Wow.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:24 pm

moonhead wrote:

in what context?

Better actor based on body of work. There's been a lengthy debate on the darkside about who is the better actor. It's been one member pimping Bale...against pretty much the rest of the Cafe supporting Leo.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moonhead » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:26 pm

Metroid wrote:
moonhead wrote:

in what context?

Better actor based on body of work. There's been a lengthy debate on the darkside about who is the better actor. It's been one member pimping Bale...against pretty much the rest of the Cafe supporting Leo.

that makes sense. bale isn't even in the conversation for me. and he does a stupid batman voice.
moonhead
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: questioning your fanhood...funk o'meter: funkalicious

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:36 pm

moonhead wrote:
Metroid wrote:
moonhead wrote:in what context?

that makes sense. bale isn't even in the conversation for me. and he does a stupid batman voice.

Yeah, I think it was h0rt who said Bale should have been dropped from the conversation simply because of his stupid Batman voice. :-b

I started the debate by saying that DiCaprio is one of the best actors of his generation, and put the parameters at actors in their 30's. Which limited the field to guys like DiCaprio, Bale, Damon, Brolin, Brody, Wahlberg, Norton....there are more that's just all I can think of off the top of my head.
Metroid

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:54 pm

I suppose it depends a bit on your taste in movies. Half of being a good actor is your film selection - look at Mel Gibson and Sylvester Stallone - average actors that made a living out of consistently choosing the right projects to get involved in. Bale definitely has a history of choosing roles requiring a little more testosterone. Let's face it, Leo is the artsy one. But also, that requires a lot more skill for an actor IMO, thus Leo is the easy choice here.

My votes on the categories I just made up:

Childhood films: DiCaprio (What's Eating Gilbert Grape)

Classical style films: DiCaprio (Gangs of New York)

Action flicks: Bale (Batman trilogy/Terminator: Salvation)

Mystery/Adventure: DiCaprio (Catch Me If You Can) I like "Prestige" but Scarlett may have something to do with that. }:-)

Psychological Thrillers: Push (American Psycho/Bale - Shutter Island/DiCaprio) I have yet to see "Inception" but my guess is that will sway my vote to Leo.

Blockbusters: DiCaprio (Titanic)

Neither is really done anything of note in the Comedy or Romantic Comedy categories to my knowledge. If they have, it wasn't noteworthy enough for my wife to convince me to watch.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby lmcjaho » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:22 pm

dgan wrote:Blockbusters: DiCaprio (Titanic)

Pretty sure BATMAN was was bigger blockbuster than Titanic.

That being said - Bale's best role was in Reign of Fire.

And The Machinist showcased Bale's acting ability to play a nutjob to devastating effect.

mod edit: language.
Sig courtesy of Soty - muchos gracias amigo!
lmcjaho
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:41 pm

Don't even get me started on this again....too late. First of all, the only Batman film Bale was any good in(to date) is Batman Begins. He was dreadful in The Dark Knight and Ledger saved that movie. Terminator Salvation was mostly a bust too, I liked it, but not because of Bale's performance. He was mediocre in it at best. Bale was fantastic in American Psycho, and it is easily one of my favorites. Outside of that performance he's been just okay in everything else he's done. I was not impressed with The Machinist (surprised you left that one off dgan). I give him big time props for going all out for the character, but starving yourself does not make a movie good or improve your acting.

You left off some great films for Leo dgan...

In Childhood Films you left off This Boy's Life and The Basketball Diaries for Leo. Both great movies.

In Classic Style films you left off The Aviator for Leo (Earning best actor nominations from the Screen Actors Guild, The Academy, and winning best actor from the Golden Globes.)

In Action Films you left off Body of Lies, Blood Diamond, and the Departed for Leo (Blood Diamond earning him best actor nominations from the Screen Actors Guild, Golden Globes, and The Academy. The Departed earned him two Screen Actors Guild nominations and a Golden Globe nomination for Best Actor, he also won 8 smaller awards for his role.)

Leo's resume is just so far and away better than Bale's it's not even funny. He's earned 3 Academy noms 2 for best actor, 1 for best supporting actor. 6 Golden Globe noms, 1 win for best actor, and 6 Screen Actors Guild noms. Did you know that Bale has never, not once been nominated for an Academy Award, a Golden Globe, or a Screen Actors Guild award? Don't you wonder why that is? It's because overall he's just been mediocre.

I know it seems like I have a huge man crush for Leo and a dislike for Bale, neither of which is true. I'm actually a Bale fan...and I guess I have a little puppy love for Leo, but he's not my favorite actor. I just don't see how anyone can look at both their resumes, performances, and accolades, and not see who the better actor is.
Metroid

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk