Brett Favre Watch 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brett Favre Watch 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brett Favre Watch 2011

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:26 am

LS2throwed wrote:I'll believe it when they line up vs the Saints and he's not on the field breaking his streak for consecutive starts.

I had to adjust my "I'll believe Favre is retired when..." in my original post because I could see a scenario where (assuming Favre isn't on the field week 1) in week 6-8 Favre is tapped after a bad game by Tavarius, or an injury. If we're watching the Superbowl and he hasn't taken a snap all season, I'll believe it.

If we have seen the last of Brett, I for one am sad. After last season, and the season he had, I was really looking forward to him giving it one more go with the Vikes. I will miss watching Brett play football dearly, and am glad I was a football fan and have been following football long enough to see his entire career. Guys with that type of love for the game don't come around very often.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 am

Metroid wrote:
LS2throwed wrote:I'll believe it when they line up vs the Saints and he's not on the field breaking his streak for consecutive starts.

I had to adjust my "I'll believe Favre is retired when..." in my original post because I could see a scenario where (assuming Favre isn't on the field week 1) in week 6-8 Favre is tapped after a bad game by Tavarius, or an injury. If we're watching the Superbowl and he hasn't taken a snap all season, I'll believe it.

I didn't even think about that, that's very likely also.

I just can't see him finishing his career with that INT vs the Saints, what a way to end a HOF career. Also, I don't think he wants to break that consecutive starts record either, I think he cares alot about that.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:21 pm

LS2throwed wrote:
Metroid wrote:

I didn't even think about that, that's very likely also.

I just can't see him finishing his career with that INT vs the Saints, what a way to end a HOF career. Also, I don't think he wants to break that consecutive starts record either, I think he cares alot about that.

I don't think he wants to retire, he most certainly doesn't want his last NFL pass to be that INT and to end his career so close to the Superbowl. If he is indeed retiring I think it has everything to how he's feeling physically and how his ankle is healing, or not healing.

Also, technically, if he does "retire" and then come back mid season his career start streak would still be intact.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:50 pm

This whole will she or won't she drama is why I have avoided Vikings players. If she retires the recievers are seriously downgraded. You have to have a ball thrown to you in order to catch the darn thing, and Travesty Jackson hasn't shown much ability at that. Sage Rosenfeld seems a turn over machine. Both unique skill-sets of the non-Favre-ians are drive killers, which in turn kills fantasy production, even for APF. Giving him more carries won't mean he will accomplish more with them given the D extra concentration on stopping the run. Could even make him try harder to break tackles and extend plays. Of course, fumbles and increased injury risk comes along with that.

For the good news. This is a shock to the Vikings and most fans.
Shock = attention;
Attention = Brettgasm;
Coming out of retirement = more attention;
Well, you get it.

Princess Brett, the ViQueen of the midwest is more likely to return at the end of exhibition season than to stay retired.

yet, I think this is it for Favre.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Black Sparkle » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:37 pm

Is Adrian Peterson's value helped or hurt it Favre retires? I have both AP and Gore in a keeper league and I'm tempted to keep Gore because it would move me up a few slots for the "second" round. Also, I think Gore is going to have a big year. Any thoughts??
Black Sparkle
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby Guru13 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:37 pm

My $0.02:

All hypothetical of course - AD's immediate value stays relatively the same, but long term could be an issue. Had they drafted Jimmy Clausen this would not be an issue, however I think AD could become a victim of too many touches, particularly if Rice ends up not playing a lot this year. I don't care how good the line is, it's been proven time and time again that running backs who get up over the 300 ish carry mark struggle in the years following. But that's just a thought for a few years down the road.

I'm concerned about the receivers' value. I stayed away from Rice in a keeper league of mine and now I'm glad I did - Tarvaris is a bum. If Rosenfels starts they might put up some numbers (particularly Shiancoe), but that's certainly a scary situation and I'm gonna try to avoid it if at all possible.

Still don't think he'll really retire. Maybe... doubt it.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 2)

Postby petedog9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:29 pm

NFL Network's Mike Mayock predicts that Adrian Peterson "could get 400 touches this year" if Brett Favre indeed retires.

Mayock attended Vikings camp Tuesday and interviewed Brad Childress. "I believe Adrian Peterson is going to get more touches than in any time during his career," said Mayock. "What that really means is they’re going to have to get conservative. We hate the term ‘manage the game.’ But that’s what Tarvaris Jackson's gonna have to do. I don't think Sidney Rice is gonna have 83 receptions."
Source: NFL.com

ADP may see his value go up. This is NOT possible for me as I have had him as my #1 since day 1... It may be similiar to his rookie campaign pre-Favre...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Ek » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:34 pm

biju wrote:One thing I didn't really think about until just now is how this *may* affect the value of Toby Gerhart. The Vikes are much more likely to try to run the ball which will mean a higher number of carries for both Peterson and Gerhart.

I don't know if his value will be more than a simple handcuff still, but it probably does raise his value.

This is something I'm paying attention to now as well. With no Favre and a banged-up WR core already, they might be running 35-40 times a game. If they start to run that much, I can't really imagine more than 75% of the carries going to just one guy, which might make Gerhart worth a few spot starts in good matchups even if AP stays healthy.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby mattUTD20 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:46 pm

The Joe Webb Era has begun! :-B
"Maurice Jones-Drew, below the waist, is incredible." Mike Mayock

Cafe Leagues

Eat Cheese Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 1
Ball Breakers Keeper (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 3 PvYr: 2
4th and Goal Dynasty (Owner: 2 year) CuYr: 2 PvYr: 9
mattUTD20
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:02 pm

Do we know if anyone has alerted ESPN?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk