Brett Favre Watch 2011 - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Brett Favre Watch 2011

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Brett Favre Watch 2011

Postby petedog9 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:09 pm

moochman wrote:Do we know if anyone has alerted ESPN?

Post of the day award winner............. ha ha ha ha ha......
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:47 pm

You know what's funny that I never knew about, and something that'll make you laugh:

Brett Favre's last throw for the Falcons? An INT.

Brett Favre's last throw for the Packers? A playoff INT.

Brett Favre's last throw for the Jets? an INT.

Brett Favre's last throw for the Vikes? An INT.

Wow. You just can't make this stuff up lol.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

LS2throwed wrote:You know what's funny that I never knew about, and something that'll make you laugh:

That is funny, but I don't find it all that surprising. Two of those INT's were in playoff games where he was trying to make a play, INT's often happen when you force things.

And when you look at his TD/INT ratio, 497–317, it actually makes perfect sense. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:08 pm

LS2throwed wrote:You know what's funny that I never knew about, and something that'll make you laugh:

As hilarious as that is, not one of those is "a 6 yard completion to the fullback allowing time to expire". Each one of those INTs (excluding Atlanta) was a last desperate attempt to win a meaningful game they had no business winning. In each of those games, the team did not play well enough to win and Favre was the only reason they still had a fighting chance at the end.

As much crap as he gets for his failure in the playoffs, he usually had a great performance going until that last forced throw. Favre's INT last year was the last bad thing to happen in that game - but if AP doesn't fumble one of those 38 times he did in that game, it probably doesn't come down to a final drive.

That's why I will miss Favre whenever the season arrives when he isn't on the field. He makes everyone play harder - his team, the other team. The game takes on a thrill - whether for better or worse, whether you love him or hate him, whether he plays for your team or the other team - unlike other NFL games. Whether its a storybook performance or a trainwreck you can't look away from, the man puts on a riveting show almost every game.

I wish people could ignore the off-field stuff long enough to appreciate the level of excitement he has brought to the game the past two decades. Some are willing to ignore more serious off-field issues by other players because "the guy is just exciting to watch". Yet, too many people like to jump on the drama queen bandwagon and bash Favre and wish he'd go away. For what? Being a dopey attention starved indecisive hillbilly? At least he's not getting in club fights, DUIs, drug-related suspensions, and getting arrested for random acts of stupidity. This is one off-field offense I find quite easy to ignore and laugh about.

I personally don't care what he does between February and September. Retire, unretire, get surgery, don't get surgery, call Mort, call CNN, call Al-Jezeera - I don't really care. But come Game 1 of the regular season, this guy has been entertaining me since I was a teenager. Whenever this ends, I am really going to miss it.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby LS2throwed » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:24 pm

^^

I definately agree, it's just pretty amazing that he's played for so many teams and ironically the last throw with each one was an INT. I understand the degree in which they happened, but I just thought it was pretty interesting because I had no idea. Although I do remember the GB one and the Minny one, and I do remember that they could have been avoided. The Minny 1 was just ridiculous, maybe the 12 men in the huddle didn't make it any easier, but everyone in the world knew he had no business throwing that across his body especially when there was room to scramble to give the kicker a chance.

GB was almost the same scenario, a really bad throw. For as clutch as he is, he'll also make some terrible throws/plays when it counts. The fact that his last throw for the Falcons was an INT just makes the story that much funnier to me though lol. :-b
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

Fantastic post dgan, I agree with every word of it 100%.

I've absolutely loved watching Favre through the years. There is no one else like him in the league, never really has been, at least not in my lifetime, and I'm not sure I'll ever see another player like him. Sundays will be a little less interesting and a lot less exciting without Favre on the field.
Metroid

Postby Metroid » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:42 am

Favre reportedly offered more money to stay...

Linkage

MANKATO, Minn. -- The Minnesota Vikings reportedly have made a new financial pitch to Brett Favre, hoping to keep the presumptive future Hall of Famer from announcing his retirement.

Favre has informed the Vikings he will not return to Minnesota for a second season, according to multiple reports. Favre sent text messages to teammates saying, "This is it," league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

However, the Vikings reportedly are ready to increase Favre's salary for this season in order to get him to hold off on retirement for another year.

Sources told the Star Tribune that the Vikings have offered to increase Favre's salary to $16 million guaranteed -- $3 million more than he was scheduled to make this season, plus another $4 million in incentives that could potentially pay Favre $20 million total for the 2010 season.
Metroid

Postby petedog9 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:20 am

Mooch said on NFLN that Favre hasnt sadi anything and isnt sure where all off this is coming from. He said the ankle isnt healing as Favre would like but he is still undecided... This may be a reporter crying wolf to get his name out there. Its Favre being Favre and needing to justify why he isnt at camp... He was starting to get criticism about being under contract and not being there. This will squash that now.. Total PR move.. I'd bet the farm that week one, he is in New Orleans...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:36 pm

this looks to be some really shoddy reporting going on. Did any of the supposed reporters for espn ask for any confirmation for any or the players alledged to have received Favre's retirement text? Or were they just too happy with the ratings boost a Favre retirement rumor gave the station. They rolled out all the Favre highlight film they had quicker than you could text "con job."

Sad thing is the timing of it all. I was all too happy to watch a bunch of Favre highlights yesterday and to speculate over the demise of the hated Vikings. Such is a football addict jonesing for a hit.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Ek » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:37 pm

In a related story, Al Gore has carried the state of Florida.
Ek
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk