Postby captainki11z » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:53 pm

bump
captainki11z
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is Ray Rice the real deal?

Postby CRob44 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:47 pm

i know its pre season but am i the only one that saw an inshape mcgahee and mclain in the last pre season game
CRob44
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby gridiron-guru » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:28 pm

captainki11z wrote:So last year Rice gained elite RB stats by getting 1339 yards on the ground and another 702 yards through the air on 78 receptions. That's not a typo, I said 78 receptions. Hello PPR! He also managed to get 8 total TD's, even with McGahee and McClain getting the goal line touches. So my question to you is Ray Rice worth the hype that the "experts" claim he is? Most rankings have him projected as the 4th or 5th RB, or even higher in PPR leagues.

Some other questions...

1. Does Ray Rice have enough talent to get to the end zone before McGahee and McClain get called off the bench? Can he get 8 TD's again?
2. How many touches is Rice gonna lose because of Anquan Boldin?
3. How much of Rice's success is a result of the Raven's o-line?

Ray Rice, in my opinion, has emerged as a legit fantasy stud. He is a strong blocker (keeps him on the field), he has amazing hands, and does a great job of holding onto the football. He does the little things that make coaches fall in love with a guy. McGahee is no longer a threat to his job, and he might vulture a touchdown or two if he is still on the team -- but I wouldn't be surprised to see McGahee traded to a team if someone sustains a rash of injuries at the running back spot. He simply isn't worth his currently salary to the Ravens.

Anquan Boldin helps Ray Rice -- in a number of ways. First, he, Donte Stallworth and the re-invigorated receiving core will spread the field. That will keep opposing teams from stacking the box against Rice, and will give him running lanes. It will also open up the short swing pass that Baltimore's coaching loves. In addition, an improved passing game will mean more opportunity. Fantasy football is all about opporutnity. The guys who get more touches have will almost always post more points -- especially teams that can get into the red zone with some degree of frequency. Mix in the fact that Boldin is a 5 star possession receiver who can move the chains -- and you have a RB1 for all fantasy formats.
gridiron-guru
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Postby 2ksports » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:09 pm

He's in a great situation and has everything you look for in a top 5 RB.

1) Unquestioned starter.
2) Youth.
3) 2000+ yard potential.
4) Got stronger during offseason.
5) Good o-line, RB-friendly system that can support 2 RBs if it had to.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:57 pm

If not for McClain, RR would be in the discussion with AP and CJ. But the fact is, between McClain and McGahee, RR is just going to lose too many TD opportunities to be considered in AP's class.

The thing I love about RR and MJD (and Gore, actually) is their receiving production. Their team can be down by 3 TDs and they are still going to produce big for fantasy teams by catching out of the backfield. You can't say that about a lot of other backs like Turner and Mendenhall.

McClain and McGahee should not scare you away from RR. They only serve to keep him from being considered #1 overall.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Previous

Return to Football Talk