Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs?

Postby StereoType123 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:03 pm

Hello cafe,

In this years draft, it seems like there is a big QB drop off after the "Big-7" of Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Romo, Schuab, Rivers.

All 7 of those seem like safe picks, with maybe the exception of Rivers because of the V-Jax fiasco.

Now I still believe in the load up on RB's and elite WRs early strategy. But is it safe this year to pass those guys up in the first 5 rounds and settle for a Kevin Kolb?

I'm almost thinking that if there is a run on QB's in the draft, I have to follow the Gold Rush and snag up Romo or Schuab in the 3rd/4th round so I'm not left out.

By the way I do a 12 team non-PPR. Standard ESPN rules, if that helps.
StereoType123
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs?

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:22 pm

I have never been a grab a QB early type of guy. I would rather load up on WRS / RBs instead then grab a Cutler and then maybe a Big Ben later...
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby bostonsoxandy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:24 pm

StereoType123 wrote:Hello cafe,

In this years draft, it seems like there is a big QB drop off after the "Big-7" of Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Romo, Schuab, Rivers.

All 7 of those seem like safe picks, with maybe the exception of Rivers because of the V-Jax fiasco.

Now I still believe in the load up on RB's and elite WRs early strategy. But is it safe this year to pass those guys up in the first 5 rounds and settle for a Kevin Kolb?

I'm almost thinking that if there is a run on QB's in the draft, I have to follow the Gold Rush and snag up Romo or Schuab in the 3rd/4th round so I'm not left out.

By the way I do a 12 team non-PPR. Standard ESPN rules, if that helps.

Your focus should be on not getting shut out in the dark on QB's this year. If you have to use a 3rd or 4th rounder to snag one you can count on every week rather than use something like a QBBC where you not only eat up roster spots but have to put your trust in Kevin Kolb or Matt Ryan or someone else like that. If you don't have a problem with starting Kolb at the position that makes the most points every week, than do it but wait a long long long long time to grab a QB once the top 7 are off.
bostonsoxandy
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Bloody Sox » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 pm

One word for you: Flacco.

I'm going to try to get one of the Top 5 guys you listed, but only if they fall a bit from where I'd expect them to go. Otherwise, Flacco is my target.
Bloody Sox
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:56 pm

hard to say and is also league size dependant...i'm much more willing to wait on QB in a 10 team league than i would be a 12 or 16 team league
if the Top 7 go too early i'm fine grabbing Eli or gambling on some combo of Kolb, McNabb, Henne, Cutler, Ryan, Palmer, Flacco, Stafford, Garrard, Favre
generally the longer i wait for my QB1 the quicker i'm grabbing my QB2
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby benb18a » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:hard to say and is also league size dependant...i'm much more willing to wait on QB in a 10 team league than i would be a 12 or 16 team league
if the Top 7 go too early i'm fine grabbing Eli or gambling on some combo of Kolb, McNabb, Henne, Cutler, Ryan, Palmer, Flacco, Stafford, Garrard, Favre

Agreed ;-D

Thanks to eagles21 for the awesome sig :)

2011:

Representin' the Cafe in the IBL league: 73-34, 15-8 in Championship Tier playoffs
BBKL: 7-6
Money league: 9-4, #1 seed one and done
benb18a
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:00 pm

Nope, just depends on how the draft goes. If QBs are going early, don't bother reaching to get one. If not, then sure, go for it.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dawinner127 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:40 pm

benb18a wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:hard to say and is also league size dependant...i'm much more willing to wait on QB in a 10 team league than i would be a 12 or 16 team league

Agreed ;-D

A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 70)

Postby shawngee03 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:22 pm

benb18a wrote:

Agreed ;-D

i like to wait and get 2 from that list in the mid-late rounds. you have to think at leats one of them will put up top 7 numbers
shawngee03
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Postby StereoType123 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:53 pm

Bloody Sox wrote:One word for you: Flacco.

I'm going to try to get one of the Top 5 guys you listed, but only if they fall a bit from where I'd expect them to go. Otherwise, Flacco is my target.

See, last year I waited on a QB and snagged up Schuab and Flacco. Obviously that worked out great for me. Schuab ended up being top-5 caliber and I traded Flacco. Went 13-3.

HOWEVER, my buddy (who is also a great fantasy player) did the same thing and snagged Cutler and Palmer. Obviously that worked terrible and he went 4-12.

I also love Flacco, but he is next off the board after the Big-7 and will go 5-6th round.

Again, I'm in a 12 team non-PPR league. I am honestly thinking of taking Rodgers first round if I have a late pick.
StereoType123
Cheerleader
Cheerleader

Next

Return to Football Talk