Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Is it a must to grab one of the

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:25 pm

That's my problem this year...is that I'm really not a big fan at all of the mid-round RBs this year in comparison to year's past. I like the RBs you can get near the top so much more than the one's later that I'm willing to grab one or two early to sacrifice a bit of WR strength where I am a bigger fan of some of the guys you can get in the mid-rounds. QB is just a waste up there...it's a great way to end up with worse RBs AND worse WRs with just a slight upgrade at QB. Not really all that worth it.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Is it a must to grab one of the "Big-7" QBs?

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:26 am

The last time I spent a 1st round pick on a QB was Rich Gannon way back after his monster year with the Raiders. And if I recall, he sucked the year I drafted him. After that, I said "never again." I'm usually one of the last 2 or 3 guys to take a QB in my league, and I'm in the playoffs every year. Look at Eli Manning's numbers from last year...4000 yards, 27 TD's 14 INT's. I can get him in the 9th or 10th round. Or I can reach in the 3rd round for someone like Romo (4400, 26, 9) or Rivers (4200, 28, 9). The difference is what ? 200-400 passing yards and a couple more interceptions? And I can get him a solid 5-6 rounds later? Meanwhile I'm hoarding RB's and WR's? Yeah I'll take Eli Manning, Jay Cutler and Carson Palmer every day of the week. I find those QB's on my teams alot during my mocks, sometimes a couple of them, and I always feel satisfied with the way my team looks top to bottom.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Carnac » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:43 am

Agree with Matt. Won't draft QB early. Prefer to stock up on WR and RBs, then pick a mid round QB (Kolb, Cutler, Manning) type. Did it last year in 2 leagues and won both. Others were fighting over elite QBs early and didn't fare so well.
Golf nut
Carnac
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby DemonDeacon » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Carnac wrote:Agree with Matt. Won't draft QB early. Prefer to stock up on WR and RBs, then pick a mid round QB (Kolb, Cutler, Manning) type. Did it last year in 2 leagues and won both. Others were fighting over elite QBs early and didn't fare so well.

^^ this. I'm eyeing Ryan/Flacco in rounds 7-8 this year. Let everyone fight for the "Elite 7"... i sill think its dumb how the rotoworlds and "elite fantasy football sites" can say such retarded things such as "If you dont get one of the elite 7 or favre this year your not going to win!" matt berry can suck my beep
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Hank's Scorpions » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:07 am

Hello Cafe.
Hank is Back
!st post of the season and a hot button I feel deeply about. I understand both sides of the argument and in the past have followed both paths. The years in which I didnt bother with drafting a QB till at least the 7th or 8th round I won the championship. The years where I jumped on a QB rush I struggled.

The simple fact is that you need to maximize your point possibilities, According to CBSSPORTSLINE the number 7 QB (Brady) is projected to average 365 points. The 8th QB (Palmer) is listed as 352. Thats only 13 points (less then 1 point per game, Even if you end up with the 13th best (Kolb) at 332 (33 points) just over two points.

On the other hand if you were to grab another high tier WR like Steve Smith Giants (248 points) then get stuck with someone like Felix Jones (177 points) or TJ Housh (198) in the later rounds

So you can have Kolb + Smith = 332 + 248= 580

or

Brady +Jones/Housh = 365 +177/198 = 542/563

a difference at best of 38 points a difference over over 2 points.

I have lost games by .1 points so I'll take the percentages and squeak out a couple point any where I can.
"The Chief enemy of creativity is 'good' taste" Pablo Picasso

Hank's Scorpions
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk