KC RBBC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

KC RBBC

Moderator: Football Moderators

KC RBBC

Postby Cameron10483 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Per rotoworld:

The Chiefs released a preseason depth chart Monday, and listed Thomas Jones as their first-team tailback ahead of Jamaal Charles.

At least Charles is moving up; Kestahn Moore got first-team reps when Jones was bothered by a minor injury early last week. Still, it's looking increasingly likely that Jones will be the Chiefs' nominal starter to open the season, presumably splitting early-down work with Charles right down the middle. Charles should dominate passing-down snaps, but he's probably not going to flirt with 300 touches if he's not used as an every-down back.
Source: Kansas City Star
Related: Jamaal Charles

Did Todd Hailey not watch JC last year? Jets released Jones for a reason...and I don't think it was because they could sign LT as a backup to Greene.

What do you think? I Hailey just blowing smoke or is this what you all expected? I figure TJ would vulture TD's, but not be #1 on depth chart.
Standard Scoring, 8 Team $ League, Start...QB,QB,RB,RB,WR,WR,WR,FLEX X3,TE,K,DEF.
QB-
RB-
WR-
TE-
K-
DEF-
Cameron10483
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: KC RBBC

Postby mattb47 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Personally...I've been thinking people have been overvaluing Charles and undervaluing Jones all off season which seems to be a yearly thing with Jones. Every year people are convinced he is done even after coming off of the BEST season of his career and I think he definitely has some left in the tank. He won't kill Charles' value altogether but those taking him in the 2nd round are going to be mightily disappointed I think.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby dgan » Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:02 pm

mattb47 wrote:Personally...I've been thinking people have been overvaluing Charles and undervaluing Jones all off season which seems to be a yearly thing with Jones. Every year people are convinced he is done even after coming off of the BEST season of his career and I think he definitely has some left in the tank. He won't kill Charles' value altogether but those taking him in the 2nd round are going to be mightily disappointed I think.

I agree. I have always had Charles down near that group of Spiller, Addai, Pierre Thomas area - the key with Charles is the upside. He has more of it than those other RBs. But he is not a guy I want to plug in my lineup as my RB2 in week 1. I'd like to have the luxury of sitting him on my bench and see what happens.

Also, he is a smallish back who is familiar with the offense. This could simply be saving his wear and tear as well as getting the new faces some opportunity to get a feel for their new team. I wouldn't read anything into the "starter" label - Charles is still going to be where the fantasy value is on this team.
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby DemonDeacon » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 pm

I still think you can draft JCharles confidently as an RB#2 in leagues despite the current depth chart. i'd highly drafting TJ if u get JC
Eastmont League 10-3 (2nd Seed)
Wenatchee League 9-4 (2nd Seed)
Urine Trouble League 6-7 (6th seed boooya!!!)
DemonDeacon
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 16)

Postby moochman » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:08 pm

Draft Charles, okay, but be wary that the Chiefs haven't hidden their distrust of smaller RBs to carry a feature back load. I could easily see Jones getting redzone and first down carries, but Charles will get his chances and as long as he produces with them, he will see enough to make him a viable #2 RB.
Would be a real nice kicker for Charles owners if Jones finally starts to show his age and lose a step.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby u_fig_eater » Tue Aug 10, 2010 11:54 pm

KC is easing Charles back from his shoulder rehab. I see TJ maybe getting a serious portion of the touches (50% or more?) early in the season. However I think the cream will rise to the top, and Charles will be the one getting more carries by mid-season. I still hold that Charles is significantly more talented and he will force the coaches' hand. I'm definitely not sure as I was before, though. It could be like New Orleans' backfield last year.
Ball Breaker Keeper League: Beast Mode 8-5 #2 seed
u_fig_eater
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:22 am

I love it, maybe people will overreact and I can get Charles with better value in drafts the next few weeks. Charles is well worth that 2nd rd pick, but maybe I'll try and use this info to my advantage in some trade offers. Sounds awfully similiar to people acting like Lendale was such a threat to Chris Johnson.

Charles doesn't need 28 carries a game to be effective, give him 18 and some receptions and he'll have huge games, I don't see anyway he gets less then that. In fact, I think this helps Charles productivity in 2010 more then hurt it, he doesn't need to take the type of pounding that comes with being a feature back at his size. I don't think they intend on giving him 25 carries a game which is fine, but I still expect him to top 200 carries and that's more then enough to reach 1200 rushing yards.

They are taking it easy with his shoulder injury right now, it's 1 thing to read depth charts and follow practice reports, but when Thomas Jones is breaking off gains of 3, 2, 3, 3, and Charles comes in breaking off gains of 6, 4, 7, 65, how do you think the carries are gonna be distributed? It'll be easy to see who is the most talented back when the season starts, and their cater to him because your not going to keep a guy like Charles on the sidelines very long.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:28 am

Sorry...but I don't see Charles as someone "well worth" a 2nd round pick right now...I'd maybe consider him as a 3rd rounder high upside type guy but I wouldn't touch him in the 2nd. And I also don't think he's going to rush at 6 ypc (which is what you're saying with 200 carries to top 1200 rushing yards). I just think people are overbuying into the hype and while he's talented, people seem to think he's the next Chris Johnson and those guys just don't come around that often. I like Charles okay, but I just think people are too quick to discount Jones like they always do and jump all over this guy. There's a reason that wherever Jones goes he quickly gains the confidence of the coaching staff.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am

Well for me matt it's more of a gut feeling then anything, I can't speak for everyone else.

I don't think he's CJ because he just rushed for 2k yards ans those guys are rare but I do think he's a special player and always has. While I don't think TJ is done, I don't think he's enough to worry me from drafting Charles, he's not even in the same universe in terms of talent or big play threat and those things will shift the balance in Charles' favor once the season starts.

I think backs like Charles and Felix Jones can have ypc's over 5 even with alot of carries and both are bettee with a big back around. I don't have alot of evidence for Charles as a great 2nd rd pick, but their scheme started to switch to more zone runs/reads last year which is what made Charles a household name @ Texas. As soon as that happened he was breaking off long runs all over the place, they'll be doing the same this year and I personally don't doubt what he can do in that type of scheme.

TJ isn't washed up, but he just does't match the level of Charles talent at all, and things like that always sort themselves out on the field.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby mattb47 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:52 am

Fair enough...everyone is entitled to the guys they just like. I know I have mine sometimes that don't have a ton backing them up other than "falling for them" so to speak. I don't share the enthusiasm for him which just means I probably won't be drafting him for where he's being drafted but I definitely see the potential there if he manages to reach it. I also see the potential downside though which is enough in this case to scare me away.

I mean before this news I did have him projected for nearly 300 touches with 256 rushes and about 35 receptions (one thing to look at is how much his reception totals dropped off after he became "starter" last season) for nearly 1500 total yards which places him pretty high in my projections. If Jones plays a bigger role carry wise than the 150 or so I have him slated for, then I think Charles will be close to 200-225 in carries but will probably be closer to 45 receptions which could balance it out enough. For him, I've just thought that the TD downside is where I'm most scared off as I don't know how much Jones is going to take away from his potential TDs as the guy does know how to get into the endzone. Similar thing I have with Greene with the Jets, LT may not have much left but he does know how to punch it into the endzone and that's enough to scare me a bit.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk