Return to Football Talk

KC RBBC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: KC RBBC

Postby Guru13 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:47 pm

bagobonez wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
I went ahead and drafted Charles at 3.04. The upside is just too high. Thomas Jones really doesn't scare me. Larry Johnson averaged 2.9 YPC behind KC's line, and Kolby Smith averaged 2.2 YPC. While Charles was averaging 5.9 YPC. That leads me to believe that Charles is a really special talent to be able to put up those kind of numbers behind a line where LJ and Kolby couldn't even crack 3.0 YPC. I expect Charles to maintain at least a 5.0 YPC and I can't see why he would be given less carries than Thomas Jones who will probably struggle to rush for 4.0 YPC. Plus Charles isn't a terrible receiver either. To me, Charles' floor is 1,350 all purpose yards and 7 TD's, which is right around what guys like Roddy White, Brandon Marshall and Sidney Rice are going to put up, but Charles' ceiling is WAAAAY higher than those WR's.

I dunno, considering you already have two top 10 rbs (IMO anyhow) I would've taken Roddy, seems like one of the safer high WR picks to me. Particularly since I think the WR field is a bit shallow in comparison this year.

I assumed Roddy White would be there but he was snagged one pick before my pick. That left guys like Brandon Marshall, Desean Jackson and Greg Jennings, and I'm really not fond enough of those players to take them over Charles. With Marshall, people forget Denver passed the ball more often than just a couple of teams, and he's going to a run-first offense in Miami. Desean Jackson's boom or bust and I don't know that Kevin Kolb is as good at the deep ball as McNabb was, even though I like Kolb more as an overall QB. Seems like 1/2 of Desean's TD's came when McNabb would side step a rush, scramble a bit, then step up and launch it to Desean downfield. Not sure Kolb's going to be able to do that consistently, though Desean may get better looks on intermediate routes. I had Greg Jennings last year and he disappointed me week after week with his low TD totals, don't see any major reason why that would change in 2010 as the Green Bay offense is largely the same. I don't know, I just feel like Charles is primed to explode, and even if he only matches last year's totals, that's still comparable to what guys like Marshall, D-Jax and Jennings would give me if they played their best.

I agree with you that he'll likely outscore those guys, I'm pretty high on him myself in ppr leagues, I was just referring to a situation where I already had two starting RBs but had no WRs yet. I share the concern with Jennings, the TD total is a bit scary - that being said I think he'll have a bounce back year (hope). That truly is one of the most explosive offenses in the league, and Jennings is by far... by FAR the number 1 receiver on the team, odds alone say he should have a damn good season. I think where Jennings gets hurt the most is in the redzone, between him, Finley, Grant, Nelson, Havner and now Evan Moore, there are too many very good red zone targets.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:33 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:I agree with you that he'll likely outscore those guys, I'm pretty high on him myself in ppr leagues, I was just referring to a situation where I already had two starting RBs but had no WRs yet. I share the concern with Jennings, the TD total is a bit scary - that being said I think he'll have a bounce back year (hope). That truly is one of the most explosive offenses in the league, and Jennings is by far... by FAR the number 1 receiver on the team, odds alone say he should have a damn good season. I think where Jennings gets hurt the most is in the redzone, between him, Finley, Grant, Nelson, Havner and now Evan Moore, there are too many very good red zone targets.

Yeah I don't really know that he IS the #1 WR in Green Bay. Not in the traditional sense of the term anyway. Like I said i had Jennings last year and I can't count the number of games when i said "Wish I'd drafted Driver instead, he's got more points than Jennings yet again."
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

J. Charles

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:15 am

What is your assessment on him? I've seen him drafted in a lot of different places and many people rank him differently. Haven't seen any threads on him and I feel like he is an interesting early round pick. I just drafted and landed him 22 overall. I think I reached a bit but am pretty high on him. Even with Thomas Jones there I feel like he will come out of camp the clear cut number 1 and has a lot of potential. He also ended the year very strong which I take into perspective.
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: J. Charles

Postby delfam » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:01 am

You reached alittle bit, but if you really wanted him we wouldn't of been there on the way back, his ADP is around 3.6, I like him in PPR since he catches a lot of passes, non-ppr not so much as thomas jones becomes more of a factor. I have their preseason game tonight so I'll tell you what I see.
delfam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:42 am

I like him alot, especially at his current ADP. He's in a very similar situation to Chris Johnson in that they are both blazers that can take it to the house on any play and they both run behind average offensive lines with average passing games yet they still get it done. I have no doubt that given enough carries the sky is the limit for J.Charles.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tcwhy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 am

My fear on Jamal Charles is the competition in KC. Thomas Jones has been and probably still is a much much better back than Lendale White. If there was any other option in Tennessee last season, CJ's touches would have been way down. 400+ touches is a ton. I think a 60-40 split is in order in KC, one way or another.
tcwhy
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby petedog9 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:07 am

There is a 5 page debate on the KC RB situation right here: ;-D

viewtopic.php?t=469069
petedog9
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Goody » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:16 am

Latest News Per CBSSportsline:

News: Chiefs coach Todd Haley said Tuesday that he envisions Thomas Jones an Jamaal Charles as similar type running backs. "What you never want to be is, when Thomas (Jones) is in there you run one way, and when Jamaal (Charles) is in there, you run another. Jamaal and Thomas can both run the runs we have in our offense."

Analysis: Jones is listed as No. 1 on the depth chart and Charles' role has been described as undefined. However, it does appear to be a possibility that both RBs could see a good split of the touches. It may be a situation where the player with the hot hand gets used and not necessarily a defined starter or backup. Continue to monitor this situation, but the potential split makes both backs low-end No. 2 RBs going into the season.

Not sure how I feel about this situation. I think I will stay away as I am not touching Charles unless he falls to me in late 4th which I highly doubt will happen.
OKCHomers
OKCFFL Auction
Goody
General Manager
General Manager

Postby no2leads » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:21 am

Very high on Charles myself, took him myself. i think a somewhat productive Jones is good for the offense, and what's good for offense is good for Charles. he doesn't need 25-30 carries. 15-20 + some receptions. too much upside after what we saw last year, not many home run hitting RBs getting 20 touches min a game. i don't own Bowe but would help if he had a strong year to spread the offense.'
no2leads
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby delfam » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:12 am

I get the Eagles/Chiefs game tonight so I'll reply back with my analysis of the running back situation in KC and probably some overview of the Eagles players to.
delfam
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk