KC RBBC - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

KC RBBC

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: J. Charles

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:20 pm

I'm kind of kicking myself right now since he is my RB2, seems like more of a risk than I anticipated but I guess you don't win fantasy leagues without takings risks. I ended up with Peterson as my RB1 and wanted to make sure to get my RB2 before there was nothing left so I had to reach on whatever was out there. He does seem like he will be sort of frustrating to have starting week by week, can't imagine too much consistency from him until he gets bumped up to one in the depth charts.
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: KC RBBC

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 pm

delfam wrote:I get the Eagles/Chiefs game tonight so I'll reply back with my analysis of the running back situation in KC and probably some overview of the Eagles players to.

Sounds good. I'm nervous about the situation but will try and stay optimistic as a Charles owner lol
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:10 pm

sadlyajetsfan wrote:
delfam wrote:I get the Eagles/Chiefs game tonight so I'll reply back with my analysis of the running back situation in KC and probably some overview of the Eagles players to.

Sounds good. I'm nervous about the situation but will try and stay optimistic as a Charles owner lol

J.Charles put up 40 yards on only 6 carries, yet Thomas Jones once again started and got more carries. This is a situation that is starting to frustrate me, hopefully it's just pre-season antics by HC Haley in an effort to motivate Charles or something, but Charles clearly puts up better numbers when given the opportunity, yet Jones is getting more of the work, and I was also concerned with how many carries McCluster had out of the backfield.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby RSersen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm

bagobonez wrote:
sadlyajetsfan wrote:

J.Charles put up 40 yards on only 6 carries, yet Thomas Jones once again started and got more carries. This is a situation that is starting to frustrate me, hopefully it's just pre-season antics by HC Haley in an effort to motivate Charles or something, but Charles clearly puts up better numbers when given the opportunity, yet Jones is getting more of the work, and I was also concerned with how many carries McCluster had out of the backfield.

How did Thomas Jones start when NFL.com's play by play shows the first play from scrimmage being a Jamaal Charles carry? Granted it was a fumble. But even after that, Charles continued to get carries. I don't see Jones touching the ball until a minute left in the first quarter, and he only ended up with more touches because he played into the third quarter, while Charles was done near halftime after taking a rough hit after a catch.
RSersen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby LS2throwed » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:23 am

bagobonez wrote:

Thomas Jones didn't start, where did you get that he did?

I don't know why it's frustrating you at this point, I've seen all I needed to see as Haley probably did too. As roto stated, Charles is averaging over 8 yards per touch the entire pre-season, while TJ is averaging 3.16, that's easy math right there. Everyone can assume TJ is gonna steal carries away but there isn't one coach in the league who would continually give more work to the back averaging 3 yards a touch and ignore the guy coming close to a 1st down each touch.

This is exactly how I've felt on the situation, ignore what Haley is saying, the more talented back will win out. Even if you want to follow what Haley says, the fact that he says they'll "ride the hot hand" should tell you Charles will be the go to guy as he's already showed he's the elite player in the backfield. He's not just going to play TJ all year because he's a veteran and scared to go with a younger player. Charles starting in the 3rd pre-season game speaks volumes also.

TJ going to KC made me like Charles alot more personally unlike most here, he can't handle the full workload, he needs a big bruising back to take some of the pounding and keep him fresh, he's still gonna put up great numbers.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby sadlyajetsfan » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:12 am

LS2throwed wrote:
bagobonez wrote:

Thomas Jones didn't start, where did you get that he did?

I don't know why it's frustrating you at this point, I've seen all I needed to see as Haley probably did too. As roto stated, Charles is averaging over 8 yards per touch the entire pre-season, while TJ is averaging 3.16, that's easy math right there. Everyone can assume TJ is gonna steal carries away but there isn't one coach in the league who would continually give more work to the back averaging 3 yards a touch and ignore the guy coming close to a 1st down each touch.

This is exactly how I've felt on the situation, ignore what Haley is saying, the more talented back will win out. Even if you want to follow what Haley says, the fact that he says they'll "ride the hot hand" should tell you Charles will be the go to guy as he's already showed he's the elite player in the backfield. He's not just going to play TJ all year because he's a veteran and scared to go with a younger player. Charles starting in the 3rd pre-season game speaks volumes also.

TJ going to KC made me like Charles alot more personally unlike most here, he can't handle the full workload, he needs a big bruising back to take some of the pounding and keep him fresh, he's still gonna put up great numbers.

I didn't see the game, only the stats at the end so hearing the breakdown of what happened is some good news. I am not a fan of Haley's antics as a Charles owner lol. I'm just trying so hard to justify taking him as an RB2 in the early third round right now. Would love to keep him on my team because I do like Charles so I'll stay tuned to see how this turns out come week 1
sadlyajetsfan
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bagobonez » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:38 am

RSersen wrote:
bagobonez wrote:
sadlyajetsfan wrote:

How did Thomas Jones start when NFL.com's play by play shows the first play from scrimmage being a Jamaal Charles carry? Granted it was a fumble. But even after that, Charles continued to get carries. I don't see Jones touching the ball until a minute left in the first quarter, and he only ended up with more touches because he played into the third quarter, while Charles was done near halftime after taking a rough hit after a catch.

My bad, I tuned in with around 10:00 left in the 1st quarter and saw TJ and McCluster getting all the snaps, so I thought Charles had been relegated to 3rd string or something. Didn't know that Charles limped off the field. Hopefully his injury is ok.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Kareighuis » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 am

I wouldn't necessarily assume that Charles will get more time than Jones because he's more talented. Haley somehow last year convinced himself that he needed to start Larry Johnson over Charles last year.

What do you thought about McCluster getting more carries than Charles and leading the team in touches? I haven't see any other mention of Charles getting injured. Can someone post a source?
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." - Henny Youngman

I want a prehensile sucker tail, and I don't want to wait fifty million years.
Kareighuis
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Bad Newz Kennels » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:48 am

Kareighuis wrote:I haven't see any other mention of Charles getting injured. Can someone post a source?

"Charles looks OK after hit: Jamaal Charles appeared to be fine after taking a big hit to his left elbow just before the end of the first half vs. the Eagles on Friday night. Charles was tagged following his only catch of the night and headed to the locker room early, but he came out with the team in the second half in his jersey and pads and his elbow appeared fine (no wrap) as he stood on the sideline smiling with teammates. He didn't play in the second half. It was actually a good night for Charles before the hit -- he made his first preseason start and had 40 yards on six carries including fluid runs of 5, 13 and 21 yards along with a 20-yard catch, which was the play the injury occurred on."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantas ... al-charles
Bad Newz Kennels
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby RSersen » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:50 am

Kareighuis wrote:I wouldn't necessarily assume that Charles will get more time than Jones because he's more talented. Haley somehow last year convinced himself that he needed to start Larry Johnson over Charles last year.

What do you thought about McCluster getting more carries than Charles and leading the team in touches? I haven't see any other mention of Charles getting injured. Can someone post a source?

Last year was a different scenario. Haley was walking into KC as a rookie HC, who had never seen Charles take a snap (and Charles didn't do much of anything his rookie season), while Johnson was the established veteran starter. Coming into this year, Haley saw what Charles can do with the ball in the hands, and watched him tear teams up through the final 8 games. He's not putting that talent back on the bench.

As for McCluster, he'll get some carries, but I'm not overly concerned about him. A lot of guys down on the depth chart get extensive work in the preseason, especially rookies...doesn't translate into the regular season. If anything, I see McCluster being used as a Welker-type slot receiver to go along with Bowe and Chambers. He'll get some carries, but not enough to threaten either JC or TJ.
RSersen
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk