Wow, so 1 year later and Steve Slaton is garbage? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Wow, so 1 year later and Steve Slaton is garbage?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Wow, so 1 year later and Steve Slaton is garbage?

Postby LS2throwed » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 am

Munboy wrote:With Ben Tate facing ankle surgery, who's going to push Slaton for carries?

Like Matt said Slaton was never slated to see a bunch of carries this year anyway and nothing has changed, he's going to be used sparingly and relying on him in any fantasy league in any format would be a mistake. All that injury means is that Foster has a tighter grip on the job and he'll keep it all season barring injury IMO. Slaton won't have any value unless Foster gets hurt, he is coming off a pretty serious injury himself and the fumbling is still an issue.

He still has a chance to try and tear up pre-season and get back into the mix, but he's way behind Foster as 2nd fiddle in the offense.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BrutallyHuge » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:03 am

Sting129 wrote:How do you explain his fantastic rookie season then?

Well, he only had to beat out Ahman Green (right?..I forget). He's an undersized back. I think he bulked up last year (added 15+ lbs), had a neck/nerve issue, and fumbled a lot. This year, he had the surgery on the nerve, dropped back his weight, but the fumbling still seems to be there.

The situation in HOU is still muddier than most people realize. I certainly don't think it's a Foster clear-cut starter and Slaton backup type situation. They are totally different running backs. Foster is a big power back (6'1" 230) and Slaton is small and shifty (5'9" 200). Could be a split time, could be Foster on 1st and 2nd and Slaton on 3rd down, etc. I definitely wouldn't write Slaton off right now. He definitely won't come close to 2008 numbers, but I think he will have some value in the mid rounds.
BrutallyHuge
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Kubiak is notorious for pulling guys when they fumble. Particularly at the goal line.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby 2ksports » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:59 pm

At the beginning of last year I posted some stats on Slaton and why he's a bust, I can't find them now.

Essentially, it boiled down to his horrendous fail rate from within the 5 or 10 yard line. The guy just doesn't have a nose for the endzone.

So yes, 1 year later, Steve Slaton is still Steve Slaton. He still blows in short yardage so you know the TDs won't be there, and now the fumbling problems on top of that.

Avoid at all costs.
2ksports
Head Coach
Head Coach

(Past Year: 2)

Postby justinj312 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:02 am

Is he worth drafting as a handcuff to Foster? Just wondering..
thx

-justinj312
justinj312
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:48 pm

justinj312 wrote:Is he worth drafting as a handcuff to Foster? Just wondering..

If you feel Foster is worth handcuffing, then Slaton would be the man.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby KOTN14 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:00 am

FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Kubiak is notorious for pulling guys when they fumble. Particularly at the goal line.

If that's the case, Foster isn't going to last long. He wasn't called "Fumbling Foster" at Tennessee for no reason.
KOTN14
Water Boy
Water Boy

Postby mattb47 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 am

KOTN14 wrote:
FantasyFutballGuru13 wrote:Kubiak is notorious for pulling guys when they fumble. Particularly at the goal line.

If that's the case, Foster isn't going to last long. He wasn't called "Fumbling Foster" at Tennessee for no reason.

Well...he obviously has the confidence of the coaching staff now and seeing as how Slaton lost his job because he couldn't hold onto that football, that would lead me to believe that Foster's fumbling issues are probably behind him. I really don't see Slaton taking this job away from him unless he gets hurt this year...Foster would have to seriously screw it up to lose it now I think.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Previous

Return to Football Talk